E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #3241
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,638
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
good luck finding traction 9 months out of the year up there in the frozen tundra
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #3242
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,577
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
good luck finding traction 9 months out of the year up there in the frozen tundra
That's what an AWD E46 with snow tires is for.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-14-2012 at 11:40 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #3243
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Yeah...yeah... I've vowed not to drop any more money into my car for mods and just keep up on the maintenance. It's time to save up for something more fast/fun and turn the E46 into winter beater status. I'm after something along the lines of your Mustang except with a bigger engine and a supercharger mounted on top of it.
5.0 over the Shelby. No question. The 5.0 is the better base motor.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #3244
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,577
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
5.0 over the Shelby. No question. The 5.0 is the better base motor.
Not looking to mod. Just something that does it all out of the factory and with a warranty.

Anyway, this thread has gotten off topic and I'm not buying a new car for a few more years anyway.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #3245
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,638
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
5.0 over the Shelby. No question. The 5.0 is the better base motor.
Eh, I'd take the 5.8 liter V8 out of the GT500 any day
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #3246
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Eh, I'd take the 5.8 liter V8 out of the GT500 any day
Traitor!
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #3247
Junaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 110
My Ride: .
I heard the 5S is coming out in Q1 2013. Is it true? I will be fuucking livid if it is. I would've waited.
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #3248
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,638
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Traitor!
Go play with your measly little three liters.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #3249
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid View Post
I heard the 5S is coming out in Q1 2013. Is it true? I will be fuucking livid if it is. I would've waited.
How are we to know? It's only a rumor.

It's not likely but it is possible.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #3250
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 369
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
How are we to know? It's only a rumor.

It's not likely but it is possible.
By definition, if it didn't come out of 1 Infinity Loop, it's a rumor.
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #3251
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
By definition, if it didn't come out of 1 Infinity Loop, it's a rumor.
Wow! Did you get a degree for that?
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #3252
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid View Post
I heard the 5S is coming out in Q1 2013. Is it true? I will be fuucking livid if it is. I would've waited.
I would usually call BS, but Apple did surprise us with the iPad 4 early--and there have been manufacturing issues with the iphone 5. Since there is no way Apple is going to admit changes to the anodizing process/fixing the chipping/scuffing issues, they may just release the 5S early (which is going to be the 5 with a few minor changes and the scuffing improved). Possible changes I can see: LTE/Voice simultaneously, improved scuff resistance, and possibly faster chips if that is in the roadmap.

But that's all just speculation on my part. Who really knows.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #3253
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
^ LMAO 5S , you guys are toooooooo jokes
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #3254
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
^ LMAO 5S , you guys are toooooooo jokes
Did you graduate high school?
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #3255
Junaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 110
My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
I would usually call BS, but Apple did surprise us with the iPad 4 early--and there have been manufacturing issues with the iphone 5. Since there is no way Apple is going to admit changes to the anodizing process/fixing the chipping/scuffing issues, they may just release the 5S early (which is going to be the 5 with a few minor changes and the scuffing improved). Possible changes I can see: LTE/Voice simultaneously, improved scuff resistance, and possibly faster chips if that is in the roadmap.

But that's all just speculation on my part. Who really knows.
Ya I could care less about that. What I read online they are releasing it early to compete with the new Nexus and S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
^ LMAO 5S , you guys are toooooooo jokes
What's so funny?
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #3256
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,690
My Ride: '00 328i
i HIGHLY doubt that they will release the 5s in Q1. if you follow apple over the past 10 or so years you'll notice that they really don't give a crap about competitions release dates. they tend to release things in pattern, everytime. given a few exceptions.
if they release the 5s i will be really really surprised.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #3257
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
i HIGHLY doubt that they will release the 5s in Q1. if you follow apple over the past 10 or so years you'll notice that they really don't give a crap about competitions release dates. they tend to release things in pattern, everytime. given a few exceptions.
if they release the 5s i will be really really surprised.
They do now. It may or may not be Q1, but i doubt they wait until September for another iphone, or ipad mini either for that matter. It's too much time to give the competition free reign, especially now that A) Windows phone 8 has come in to play, and B) the line between the polish of iOS and Android has blurred to the point of basically disappearing.

I'd guess June or so. Things have changed. In 08-09, competition was scrambling just to be decent. Not the case any more.


Anyways, being that it will probably be a 5S rather than a 6 means that it will be only a minor upgrade, not an earth shattering departure from the 5. Like Alpha said, simultaneous voice/data on Verizon, quad core, better coating. Maybe NFC? Just some spec bumps.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #3258
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
boostedisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
the line between the polish of iOS and Android has blurred to the point of basically disappearing.


I don't see a problem with them making more versions of devices, as long as the prices start to drop. Naturally, the prices on used apple products will drop as well. I don't know if this is the best thing for Apple business wise, but it's great for us. Isn't this something that Android fanbois complain about anyway?
__________________
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #3259
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid View Post
Ya I could care less about that. What I read online they are releasing it early to compete with the new Nexus and S4
The 5 has no catching up to do next to the Nexus 4. Different strokes- but I very much doubt the Nexus 4 or any other specific phone that matter would be the reason it's released early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
They do now. It may or may not be Q1, but i doubt they wait until September for another iphone, or ipad mini either for that matter. It's too much time to give the competition free reign, especially now that A) Windows phone 8 has come in to play, and B) the line between the polish of iOS and Android has blurred to the point of basically disappearing.
I don't think they'd release it and cut into the 5's product cycle unless it was a big deal. And Android is not up to the polish of iOS, but it has caught up in enough other ways as to make Apple nervous.

The iPad Mini is already and will continue to crap on Android tablets from a sales perspective.

If they release a new iPhone early, it'll be something big that we didn't see coming. Offensive not defensive.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #3260
Junaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 110
My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
The 5 has no catching up to do next to the Nexus 4. Different strokes- but I very much doubt the Nexus 4 or any other specific phone that matter would be the reason it's released early.



I don't think they'd release it and cut into the 5's product cycle unless it was a big deal. And Android is not up to the polish of iOS, but it has caught up in enough other ways as to make Apple nervous.

The iPad Mini is already and will continue to crap on Android tablets from a sales perspective.

If they release a new iPhone early, it'll be something big that we didn't see coming. Offensive not defensive.
I agree with you 100%. I owned both iPhones and Android devices and they are in no way similar. The Android OS is basically a computer where as iPhone is a simple device which lets you surf, take pictures, talk and message.

They need to upgrade the iOS to something more advanced where it lets you download songs and other things off the internet and have a download folder. I think microsoft office will help the iOS in being more advance.

If the iPhone 5s isn't released early next year I do think there will be a major software upgrade that will surprise majority of iphone users.
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use