E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #141
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
800 company-wide.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #142
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
800 company-wide.
Yeah that is indeed small. What about testing (if you need it for your job)? Do you have a lab with all the necessary equipment or does your engineering group do a lot of external testing? I would think with a company that small you most likely don't have all the gismos and gadgets you would need/want.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #143
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Yeah that is indeed small. What about testing (if you need it for your job)? Do you have a lab with all the necessary equipment or does your engineering group do a lot of external testing? I would think with a company that small you most likely don't have all the gismos and gadgets you would need/want.
He's a programmer (correct me if I'm wrong) at some SV startups - i.e. they can do their own testing or hire an outside group to do testing. Either way, they don't exactly need a ton of gadgets/gizmos to run testing like you would if you were deploying a physical product
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #144
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
He's a programmer (correct me if I'm wrong) at some SV startups - i.e. they can do their own testing or hire an outside group to do testing. Either way, they don't exactly need a ton of gadgets/gizmos to run testing like you would if you were deploying a physical product
Oh yeah forgot about his position and the market he serves. Carry on
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 11-14-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #145
Amoeba

Yeah we don't need many gizmos to test our product. We do have a dedicated QA team that's about the same size of developers. In an 800 people company you have ~70 engineers, 60 QA, then 600+ sales/operations/finance/management/etc.

Last edited by Amoeba; 11-14-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #146
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Thread has gone off a tangent.

The tittle is: This is why people who have no business attending college, shouldn't be attending
I think the key point in addressing the issues is determining who will tell them they have no business attending college.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #147
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post

The tittle is: This is why people who have no business attending college, shouldn't be attending
I think the key point in addressing the issues is determining who will tell them they have no business attending college.
Market via variable interest rates. Won't prevent unqualified people, just prepare them to pay the cost.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #148
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post

People need to have a conscious and tell themselves. No one held my hand when I was going to school and paying for it. Either that or we need to better educate highschoolers about the repercussions of not being able to pay back student loans.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #149
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

In one extreme case, student debt, and the constant creditor calls, were mentioned in a suicide note by the stepfather of a young law school graduate. The guilt has been crushing for the graduate.

Teresa Tosh, 56, a mother of five who works for the county government in Tulsa, Okla., had co-signed large graduate and law school loans for one of her sons, Jacob, who has a different last name. In total, he owes more than $200,000 on his federal loans, in addition to more than $100,000 on the private student loans his mother co-signed.

But like many recent law graduates, Jacob had trouble finding a job, and when he finally found one, an hour from home, the salary was nowhere near enough to cover loan payments. Creditor calls to both Jacob and to his mother became more and more frequent.

Jacob talked to the collectors when they called, and tried to work out payments as best he could. But shortly after one call ended, he and his mother said, the phone would ring again: another collection agent, in another part of the country. Ms. Tosh’s husband, George, a Vietnam veteran who worked from home, concluded that Jacob was lying about trying to work things out, deceiving Ms. Tosh, ruining her credit and leaving her holding the bag.

The household tension grew intense, and in July 2010, Mr. Tosh shot himself, leaving a note saying that he could no longer stand the incessant calls from Sallie Mae, one of the lenders.

“Jake has destroyed us. You can’t tell me that sally mae is getting paid when they keep calling all day, every day,” he said in a note to his wife. “I can’t even answer the phone in my own home no more. I can’t live like this no more.”

Ms. Tosh said she was “not naďve enough to think the Sallie Mae calls were the only reason” that her husband killed himself. “But they were adding a lot of stress,” she said. “They’d never stop calling.”

A few months after the suicide, Jacob moved to Dallas and got a document-review job. The pay is not enough to meet his loan payments — or even full interest — but his creditors agreed to let him make partial-interest-only payments for two years. While his balance continues to grow, that arrangement protected his mother from payment demands for two years.

“It’s made my life so much more stressful and guilt-filled because I know that it affects her,” Jacob said. “I barely have enough money to pay the bills, but if I miss by a day, they call her.”

Jacob pays about $1,200 a month toward the debt, more than he pays for rent. He and his mother are carefully rebuilding their relationship, after a period of great tension. Ms. Tosh traveled to Dallas for his birthday.

“She’s been really good about it,” Jacob said. “It’s always there, but she doesn’t bring it up.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/bu...l?pagewanted=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #150
Ilovecars800490

My Ride: 2003 330i sport 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
It's cheap compared to grad school.

Of course it's cheap compared to a grad school.
Ilovecars800490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #151
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
They could save money buy ditching the home phone.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #152
FadeToblack

My Ride: 2003 accord coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to FadeToblack
I have a law degree, just graduated from medical school as well as a MBA. I got no job tho son.....what should i do?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #153
Amoeba

Sell a trailer full of electronics for 70k.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #154
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Sell a trailer full of electronics for 70k.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #155
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToblack View Post
I have a law degree, just graduated from medical school as well as a MBA. I got no job tho son.....what should i do?
Buy more gold

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote