E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #281
Dahmwern

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi 5spd.
Send a message via AIM to Dahmwern
Double post for content.

I redid the mod today, and what I did this time was (using the Piezo Siren 273-079 from Radioshack) I soldered a spade connector on the black and red wire of the siren. I also took both of the mating spade connectors that are currently not used, heated up the plastic casing of the connector with the soldering iron, and melted it off - leaving only the metal connector behind. I opened up the now-exposed portion of the currently unused part of the spade connector so I could easily crimp this on the wires on the connector on the car (wow lots of words!) Then behind the connector on the car, I stripped away about a 1/2" of both wires used (respective Hot and Ground connections) and crimped the spade connectors onto those wires. The spade connectors I just crimped were the ones I melted the plastic off. To finish up, I just slipped the spade connectors together and I had a hardwired but REMOVABLE siren that won't fall out in two weeks.

I mounted the siren inside where the connector was. This protects it very well from water. Its a bit quiet this way, but I don't mind. Others may want to add a second 102dB siren 273-079 and mount it in the same fashion. The real advantage of this procedure is you still get a hardwired siren instead of sticking it loosely in a plastic connector, AND you can remove it easily by simply pulling the spade connector apart (well both spade connectors, one on the black wire, one on the red wire).
| CSL 18" Reps | H&R Coilovers | UUC EVO3 Short Shifter | Conforti Shark Injector | Magnaflow exhaust | TMS Power Pulleys | CAI w/ Custom Built Box | Drilled\Slotted Rotors | ZHP Shift Knob | Brushed Metal Trim | ECS Carbon Fiber Brake Handle | Black Grilles | Angel Eyes | DIY Clutch Stop | DEPO Smoked Corners | DEPO Sidemarkers | DEPO Smoked R/C/R Tails | DIY AUX input | DIY Red Needle Mod | CDV Delete | Front Plate Delete | Debadged |
Dahmwern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #282
kaldE46

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitzl3 View Post
just tried this, with the same results as you, except for me i only get a good sound when i have the red hooked into the top left and black hooked into bottom right which is a solid brown wire, once i hook those in its a constant chirp no matter doors locked or unlocked. One thing i did notice is when i plug in the wires like the diy says, and once i lock or unlock the door the buzzer chirps very very faintly, like its not getting enough power. So looks like i might need a relay of some sort....however im too lazy and put everything back together, will try it later if i feel like it
Is there a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issues. My lights flash upon lock and unlock, and I've got the blinking clown nose. Still only produces a faint faint sound when I lock and unlock wired like the diagram, and a constant loud sound when wired like cowspoo's way.

Edit: Turns out it was the buzzer itself. I thought because it had managed to give a constant chirp when rewired it wasn't at fault, but I stand corrected. Went to Radioshack and bought the 102 db instead of the 90 db I had and guess what? It works like a charm. Wonder if it had to do with the fact that the 90 db buzzer had a gray wire for positive instead of red?

Last edited by kaldE46; 10-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
kaldE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #283
joedogg707

My Ride: 2003 330XI
$5 mod is my $6 fail.

So I have a 2003 330xi, fairly stock, had it since 2005, and still get compliments often on it. I read about this lock beep mod. Yes my corners flash along with clown nose on lock and unlock. Had it activated when dealer was repairing melted wiring harness on tail light. But no beep. Trunk says per-wired for BMW security, but no beep. Figured was due to no alarm. No worries. Then I saw this and thought why not. $5 and 45 mins. I got both to spare. Got the 273-079 piezo buzzer from Radio Shack after work and got started. All went well until I pulled out the alarm harness. It wasn't wired with the same color wires. Top left red with black stripe. Bottom left blue with black stripe, top right, solid brown, bottom right black with red stripe. I tried same hole placement as the DIY showed and got nearly in audible two beep on unlock, nothing on lock. Then i opened door, turned key in ignition, put front window down, removed key, shut door and locked with key fob. I reached in to simulate a break in and hit e lock button. Nothing noise wise. But then when I went to remotely lock again, I got nothing. I opened the door, and the key in ignition buzzer was on but key in hand. Now every time drivers door is open, get key in ignition buzzer, and e remote lock/unlock has only worked three out of 20 or more attempts.

What did I do? Could it be a fuse? But if so, would not work at all did my reaching inside thru window somehow trigger something. Car has no alarm. It has never once failed when using keyfob to lock unlock. Has never made the key in ignition before either.

So now not only do I still not have a lock beep, (which is like $6.50 now) I no longer have keyless entry either. I have to put e key in the little tiny slit in the door like a schmuck and feel like an idiot because I am to blame.

Any help is really really appreciated. I've read this thread over and over. Some have said the two are coincidental, not related. They are 100% related. So about my wiring harness colors, what do I do. I tried diff configurations. I hooked e buzzer up to my cordless drill battery and it is not at fault. I should try to test current on the wires, and see what voltage ey put out I suppose. Could I have dislodged something while putting the cabin filter housing back? Help please. Please help.

Thanks.
joedogg707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #284
joedogg707

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceasia8 View Post
Easiest way to test it is to roll down the driver side window. Arm the car, reach in and either unlock the door by pushing the button or just grab the handle. The doors should unlock, just open it and it should go off.
I did the put the window down and reach in to press the unlock button, and opened the door from the outside. Got nothing. Used key fob to lock again, and now it stopped working. Had car 7 years and had never once, ever failed to lock/unlock and flash the corners. So I'm freaking out and open the door and the key in ignition buzzer starts buzzing. Key is in my hand. Shut door, buzzer stops. Open door, buzzer on. Oh, and the mod never did work, AND NOW I REALLY FEEL DUMB because key fob and ignition buzzer thing is a result. Any ideas?
joedogg707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #285
wertyu78

My Ride: '04 ZHP
I did this DIY a few weeks ago. I LOVE it. I paid $6.50 for a random piezo buzzer. The unlock double chirp is very audible, but the locking single chirp is very faint. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'll buy another buzzer with a higher DB rating.
FX-R 3.0 Projectors | Turner H&R Coilovers| 26mm M3 Swaybar | HAWK HPS Pads | 265/40/17 Square Dunlop Z1's| Simota Intake | Supertech Valves w/ARP Head Studs | ARP Rod Bolts | Headers | 3.64 Diffsonline LSD |

Build Thread
wertyu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #286
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
OK Guys... THIS NEEDS A RELAY! For one it trips a fault in the GM5 that the siren wire is short circuited. These piezos may not be enough current draw to do permanent damage but connecting a real siren actually makes the windshield wipers go off when the alarm is triggered! The siren wire is a logic wire designed to run a relay in the factory siren, not to sink the current required to drive the alarm. Thats why that brown ground wire is in the harness. I just picked up a $5 SPDT "PC relay" from radio shack to fix this install on my brother's car.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #287
USAF_BIMMER

My Ride: 2004 330i
Okay I tried this set up and it worked, but then all of a sudden my wipers went off and the clown nose stayed on, anybody have an idea?
USAF_BIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #288
USAF_BIMMER

*edit Got everything hooked up and now my clown nose doesn't light up at all and there's no beep from the buzzer. The parking lights still flash just now clown nose. Did the damn thing un code itself some how? I'm at a loss...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #289
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_BIMMER View Post
Okay I tried this set up and it worked, but then all of a sudden my wipers went off and the clown nose stayed on, anybody have an idea?
Read my post right above yours...

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #290
USAF_BIMMER

Do you have a part number and a wiring diagram for it? Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #291
Sergzam

My Ride: Snow pckg e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
OK Guys... THIS NEEDS A RELAY! For one it trips a fault in the GM5 that the siren wire is short circuited. These piezos may not be enough current draw to do permanent damage but connecting a real siren actually makes the windshield wipers go off when the alarm is triggered! The siren wire is a logic wire designed to run a relay in the factory siren, not to sink the current required to drive the alarm. Thats why that brown ground wire is in the harness. I just picked up a $5 SPDT "PC relay" from radio shack to fix this install on my brother's car.
So how exactly do you wire this relay?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #292
USAF_BIMMER

I'm gonna guess you went with a 1 amp SPDT Moro relay, because that's the only $5 pc relay they had, only question is how did you wire it into the buzzer and the connected for the alarm?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #293
Sergzam

Good news I found this today while working on my car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	478393  
Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #294
USAF_BIMMER

Ohhh nice nice! I still wish I could find out how to wire that relay I bought.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #295
Sergzam

Quote:
While I was at RadioShack I asked em if they knew and his responses was "what's a relay?"
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #296
USAF_BIMMER

Wooow -_-
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #297
thefrog1394

Quote:
I'm gonna guess you went with a 1 amp SPDT Moro relay, because that's the only $5 pc relay they had, only question is how did you wire it into the buzzer and the connected for the alarm?
Mine was 10 amp I think? But 1 amp is probably enough I would think, I don't really know how much power those buzzers pull but probably not a lot.

To wire it, connect the SIREN wire (the one you had connected to the negative on your siren) to one end of the coil on the relay. The other end of the coil goes to constant 12V (the wire you had connected to your + on the siren). The + on the siren stays connected to that same wire. But now connect the - on your siren to the Normally Open wire on the relay (labeled NO usually) and the other end of the relay to ground. (There is a ground wire in the alarm bundle, I forget what color. Look at the WDS).

I'll try to find the exact part I used for the relay and write up a more explanatory/detailed explanation when I get a chance

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #298
jpage101

My Ride: '04 330ci - '09 328i
I did the install this past weekend (only lost 1 piece - i think this is a record for me.)

After reading the above posts, I think it might need a relay as mentioned. It works for both lock and unlock, but its not very loud. It sounds like you are running over a mouse and its yelling "Helllp"

I bought a 106db siren from Amazon. I tested it prior to install and it was super loud. I think since I am familiar with the dismantling of the area now, that I will just buy the OEM Siren/bracket and use that.

jpage101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #299
ccaudio1

My Ride: 330i
Quote:

heres a good place to start knowing how to wire relays http://www.the12volt.com

Weak Negative Output to Strong Ground Output
Often it is necessary to provide a stronger ground than the negative output of an alarm or keyless entry can provide. When this is the case, use the following diagram.

Weak Positive Output to High Current Positive Output
Often it is necessary to provide more current than the positive output of an alarm or keyless entry can provide. When this is the case, use the following diagram.

you will just need to test the weak signal out wire from the car... hope this helps
ccaudio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #300
orb

My Ride: Coupè
Just did this about an hour ago. Works great and I used the Piezo 102 dB siren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote