E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Y2kBimmer

My Ride: 2000 323i, 86 325e
Send a message via Yahoo to Y2kBimmer
Engine problems c.e.l code p1519 (bmw 103) Help

So, yesterday, I got my oil changed, and after that I drove home and everything was fine, then when I was going to work, my car started bogging out and shut off and the check engine light came on, so then I had one of my friends friend scan the car and #4,#5, and #6 cylinders were miss firing and there was a code p1519 (Bmw 103), which is the camshaft position sensor (Control vanos, end-postition fault, inlet camshaft) so I asked on of my other friends who is a bmw tech and he said that that will need to be replaced. But I read on bimmer forums that, I could just need the timing reset or vanos reset etc... Has anyone had this problem? And what should I do.

2000 323i and 86 325e
Y2kBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
PersiasSphynx

My Ride: '99 328i E46
I have the same problem, and not sure either? did u get this problem resolved? please pm me or write back on this thread to let me know
PersiasSphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
silvrXI

My Ride: E46(x2)&E36/7M&YZFR6
Bumping this to see if anyone else has more information. I just replaced head gasket on 328i, car seems to run ok, but check engine light pops on after driving a little bit. p1519, cleared code many times, and it keeps coming back. I hope I don't have to re-time the vanos. Maybe just short in the vanos solenoid wiring? or cam sensor wiring... Anyone who has seen this please chime in.
silvrXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Change the camshaft position sensor.

Time reset? Nope. Timing is not adjustable on the E46's.

A short in your Vanos Solenoid wiring...possible. Check your powers / grounds.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
silvrXI

LOL you fail... When timing the Vanos, I accidentally turned the exhaust sprocket too far. when installing Vanos, you need to move the secondary timing chain in order for the vanos gear to spline in. Apparently you are only supposed to turn it in untill the vanos gear is fully extended... If you further turn the exhaust sprocket, then the vanos is already set up too far in advance. Thanks for the tip, but I decided to re-time the vanos gear (which is 100% adjustable on E36 and E46 and E90) and then start it up again. After 2 hours of driving, (turning it off a few times as well) the code has not returned. Glad I didnt waste money replacing a perfectly good cam sensor, or waste time diagnosing a wiring issue.

I understand you meant well, but this absolutely solved my problem. Anyone else with this same issue (P1519 code after replacing head gasket or removing vanos) should read this post and take this advice under consideration. Or not trust me at all since this is my 10th post in this forum. Thanks guys. btw I love my E46s.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrXI View Post
LOL you fail... When timing the Vanos, I accidentally turned the exhaust sprocket too far. when installing Vanos, you need to move the secondary timing chain in order for the vanos gear to spline in. Apparently you are only supposed to turn it in untill the vanos gear is fully extended... If you further turn the exhaust sprocket, then the vanos is already set up too far in advance. Thanks for the tip, but I decided to re-time the vanos gear (which is 100% adjustable on E36 and E46 and E90) and then start it up again. After 2 hours of driving, (turning it off a few times as well) the code has not returned. Glad I didnt waste money replacing a perfectly good cam sensor, or waste time diagnosing a wiring issue.

I understand you meant well, but this absolutely solved my problem. Anyone else with this same issue (P1519 code after replacing head gasket or removing vanos) should read this post and take this advice under consideration. Or not trust me at all since this is my 10th post in this forum. Thanks guys. btw I love my E46s.

You really FAIL.

The timing on the E46's is not adjustable, period. The timing is fixed, so there is no "advancing" or "retarding" of timing...PERIOD. No matter what kind of VANOS work is done, the timing has to be set back to original specs (camshaft position, sprockets, etc.). The OP's original issue had to do with a code...the OP mentioned nothing about opening up the engine head and/or messing around with the VANOS unit.

You fail.

And are "retarded".

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
silvrXI

orly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDLOCK View Post
You really FAIL.

The timing on the E46's is not adjustable, period. The timing is fixed, so there is no "advancing" or "retarding" of timing...PERIOD. No matter what kind of VANOS work is done, the timing has to be set back to original specs (camshaft position, sprockets, etc.). The OP's original issue had to do with a code...the OP mentioned nothing about opening up the engine head and/or messing around with the VANOS unit.

You fail.

And are "retarded".

Read, Comprehend, Reply.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1322843
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1310058
You Fail.

OK maybe you are not aware of what vanos does... it ADVANCES AND RETARDS YOUR CAM TIMING... Vanos is NOT fixed, it can easily be put on in the wrong position. While installing the vanos, the cams are fixed, and held with cam blocks, the sprockets are separate from the cams at this point and have a certain degree of movement (for when vanos advances/retards CAM timing.) Now, what we are doing is moving the sprockets on the secondary chain in order to "time" the vanos. The vanos gears need to engage at the proper "time" compared to cam sprocket rotation. So essentially you are "timing" or aligning the vanos. Of course the cams can't be moved at all, considering they are being held in place by blocks. So essentially the vanos can be aligned to far advanced with cam location, or too far retarded compared to cam location...

I understand that OP did not do any work to his car... However, when I did a search on this code, this thread came up. OP is not the only person in this world that has gotten this code... And maybe you didn't read my post completely... Here, I'll quote it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrXI View Post
Anyone else with this same issue (P1519 code after replacing head gasket or removing vanos) should read this post and take this advice under consideration.
I was simply helping other people in the world, (news flash you're not the only one) that may decide to google "p1519 BMW" and guess what, they too have just replaced the head gasket... or maybe they took their car to a shady mechanic and hes trying to tell them that the code has nothing to do with him replacing the head gasket... Why don't you see the point in forums and threads? It is to help other people in the future... I mean you were arguing with me that its impossible to time the cams... that has nothing to do with the issue here, way to go off topic... Sorry if I used words like "time the vanos" Maybe a better term would be align the vanos... You simply misunderstood and had to prove a point that you're smarter than me. Congrats I hope you feel good about yourself.

FTR... re-aligning (proper term I guess so you dont get flamed?) the vanos assembly fixed my problem 100%. So, if you are searching the forums because you have a P1519 code after replacing a head gasket, or removing the vanos assembly. (Also people that have installed performance cams like schrick) I would highly recommend re-aligning the vanos. If you however have never opened the engine, and the code popped up out of no where, I would take a look at your vanos solenoid, as well as cam shaft position sensor. And make sure the wiring is intact.

That is all. Sorry for upsetting you. I am on multiple forums (M3forums, BFC, bimmerfest, dtm) and have been using them for multiple years now. This forum however really gets to me... People like you are really annoying, and thats all I ever see over here. Calling me retarded? Sweet joke noob. That is all.

see ya

-Mike

Haha weren't you the one that asked if you can use BMW synthetic oil in any car?? Was that a joke?

Quote:
Can BMW Synthetic oil be used.........
on any vehicle? I have some extra qts. in the garage and since my other car (4Runner) uses 5w30, and since I have some BMW Synth 5w30 laying around, thought I'd might use it and save a trip to Wally's...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by silvrXI; 11-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
silvrXI

I'm still waiting for my apology as well. That was rude of you to call me retarded. Even if it was just a pun on words.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
moe_army

My Ride: 323i
Hey Guys, I replaced my intake camshaft sensor because it was giving me a code to change it and it use to turn off once in a while. But after i replaced it its now giving me misfire in all 6 and code p1519 and the camshaft sensor and the car has a very rough idling when it didnt do that before. What could the problem be? Is it the Vanos soleniod?
Thanks
moe_army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Jeff328i

My Ride: 1996 328i Convert
Vanos & p1519 code

I replaced my head gasket and meticulously reassembled things the way I disassembled, however it is seeming that the Vanos was off a "tooth" when I torn it down to R&R the head. I had failure codes concerning the o2 sensors, fuel trim, etc. I believe much of this was due to coolant getting on o2's and the compression loss due to a cracked head. After reassembly it still did not run correctly which I thought was caused be a faulty Cyclone valve. So I changed my PCV system to a breather by plugging the valve cover and dipstick oil return and adding a breather hose running into the air intake box. The car got improved mileage (~33 fwy / 27hwy) and ran well, but the check engine light was forever glowing. I replaced the MAF, however it's parameters seemed to need the PCV system opened up. So I drove it with the old MAF and PCV corked for ~ a year. I could clear the Check Engine light and it would be back after one driving cycle. So last w/e I was working a charging system issue and decided to set back to stock with the new MAF cause I need to smog her this year in Jan, well she running crappy and showing the p1519 and fuel trim (p0170 I believe). So I am going to R&R the Vanos being careful to install it correctly. I do have a question (after all that) . . . Should the fasteners and bellville washer put so much tension on the exhaust gear/cam that its capability to clock/advance seem unlikely? Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks for reading!!!
Jeff328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Jeff328i

My Ride: 1996 328i Convert
Thoughts on Moe Army; Seems odd to get worse with the new sensor. Could the new sensor be bad? You have not had the timing chain, head or Vanos serviced?

Last edited by Jeff328i; 11-15-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Connecting comment to thread
Jeff328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
moe_army

My Ride: 323i
I sold the car, but i think it was the vanos Selonoid since i had to remove it to install the sensor and then install it back...the weird thing about it is that it use to idle smooth when the car is cold or at full temperature, but in between it would idle very rough. It was very weird. But I got an M3 E46 now and im happy with it.
moe_army is offline   Reply With Quote