E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Spare tire replacement

guys, I have the 'space saver' black steel wheel as a spare in my '05 ZHP convertible. Does anyone know if a full size front wheel & tire will fit in place of the ugly space saver? My fronts are 225/40/18. Looks like it should fit but will have to relocate the tool kit I think.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Pull a front wheel off and try it. Five minutes.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
In my coupe, the tire would fit circumference wise, but was too tall for the trunk carpet to lay flat. Only useful in trying to transport four wheels/tires.

Not sure about the vert though. Would imagine if anything there would be even less space to work with.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Thanks Wolrab & redryan98......I did what Wolrab suggested and tried the front wheel in the space. Redryan98 was correct, it fit at the dia but would not allow the truck carpet to lay flat. Soooo, I flipped the carpet and guess what? It works that way. Carpet looks weired but it's always covered with my windscreen & other stuff. It does reduce the cargo height but is a possible solution, for me anyway. I hate the idea of running that stupid temp spare at 50MPH & then have to find a service station to fix the tire (if it's fixable). At least with full size spare you could drive home, even if it were narrower in the rear

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
The trunk floor in my 2006 330Ci is quite different. The car came with 3 front wheels (17") and 225/45R17 tires, and the third fits in the spare wheel well. The trunk floor is flat - looks like yours is recessed a bit. The trunk floor won't fold down if there's a rear wheel in there.

Last edited by Wolrab; 11-15-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Wolrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
it fit at the dia but would not allow the truck carpet to lay flat. Soooo, I flipped the carpet and guess what? It works that way. Carpet looks weired but it's always covered with my windscreen & other stuff. It does reduce the cargo height but is a possible solution, for me anyway
lol! I've wondered what the "depression" was for in the space below the load floor of my Touring. Now I know. I turn the tray upside down if I need to use the temporary spare!

Thx!
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I am just a short drive from you so come on over to my house and I will see if the tire fits into the space. Or if you can wait 6 months, I will bring a tire over to your place---if not, just go to any tire auto store and try it out.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote