E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
Does my Valentine One Radar Detector REALLY need this upgrade? (SolidJake?)

My valentine one doesn't seem all that accurate sometimes.

So I went to the website to see if my Valentine RD is out of date and needs a software update, according to their site: https://store.valentine1.com/Upgrades

The Following report appeared when entered serial #:

Quote:
V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8.A-POP2 with Euro Mode.

Comment: This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser.

Upgrade Recommendation: You already have our best performer, enhanced by crystal-controlled frequency tuning. More recent V1s, however, have two additional features. Traffic Monitor Filter eliminates the K-band false alarms caused by a traffic flow-measuring system being installed along some U. S. highways. SpeedInfo sends frequent K-band radar bursts into the traffic stream (www.speedinfo.com to learn more). If you drive in an area with one of these systems, this upgrade will pay off immediately. Extended Serial Protocol (ESP) enhances two-way communication with SAVVY and future peripheral devices.
The Upgrade for those two features is $199 plus shipping.

Do I REALLLYYY need those two additional features? Traffic Monitor Filter and Extended Serial Protocol?

If I don't need them I just need a good setting, it would save me a LOT of money.

Anyone? Jake?

Thanks!!
Geo
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
How long have you been using your V1?

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
About 2 years or so. Lately I haven't really been using it because it acts a bit "glitchy" for lack of a better word.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
If you don't live in an area where speedinfo is collecting data, and you don't plan on using "savvy", then there's no need to do the update.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
About 2 years or so. Lately I haven't really been using it because it acts a bit "glitchy" for lack of a better word.
After 2 years of use, I think the unit will lose some accuracy due to temperature changes and whatnot, so it may be worth it for you to update or sell yours and purchase a new one to eliminate your issues.

Can you describe what problems you're encountering? If you can live with them, I think I would tend to agree with TerraPhantm.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 11-15-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Sell it on ebay and get a new unit straight from www.valentine1.com

That's what I did. The newest unit is THE best.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Ugh I still need to hardwire mine.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Ugh I still need to hardwire mine.
Takes <10 minutes.

Well wait, IDK how it works in a vert.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 11-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Yeah I don't know where to put the wires. I keep the hardwire kit in my door to get me motivated to do it. It's been there for 3 months.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
madunix

My Ride: Silver 01' BMW 325ci
whats the savvy for?
madunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
El Barto

My Ride: 330 CI
Mike,

A clean way to power in a conv. is the pull the glovebox, wire into the back of the flashlight, run wire to a pillar and over. Its clean out of sight, and powers on and off with the door lock. Many other good ways I'm sure.

in upstate ny I don't see an advantage to the V1 upgrade. I am not sure where the traffic monitor systems are in place in the US.

Last edited by El Barto; 11-16-2012 at 06:03 AM.
El Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
After 2 years of use, I think the unit will lose some accuracy due to temperature changes and whatnot, so it may be worth it for you to update or sell yours and purchase a new one to eliminate your issues.

Can you describe what problems you're encountering? If you can live with them, I think I would tend to agree with TerraPhantm.
This is 100% not true. My V1 was the very first purchase for my car, and I bought it about a month or two after getting my 01 330i in 2005. I've had mine hardwired sitting up next to the rear view mirror on the right side for 7 SOLID years, constantly exposed to lots of heat and sun, and it works as perfectly as it did on day 1. I will say that a buddy of mine bought one as well, and claimed that it never seemed to work as well as it should have out of the box. We did some tests, and unfortunately for him (idiot) he waited too long to get it fixed under warranty, so he had to pay the $48 fee or whatever to send it in and have it fixed. The instant he got it back, it was working properly and has been ever since. A great test to see if they are doing what they should be is to drive by one of those roadside radar/speed signs that always set it off without a doubt. But you never really know until you pick up a LEO's signal and see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Sell it on ebay and get a new unit straight from www.valentine1.com

That's what I did. The newest unit is THE best.
That is a very interesting solution here because I know selling used ones can almost get you the money you paid for them initially, especially if you have everything that came with it in the first place. But in my situation, I only have to deal with those roadside traffic flow signals when I go up to Maine in the summer, and dealt with them once driving down to florida (they are basically along the entire highway in either georgia or south carolina, I can't remember which, but my GOD they are annoying). Never knew what they were for, so it's nice to hear they are monitoring traffic flow and not actually speed.

So, depending on if you have this situation where you live, the upgrade would be worth it, however as Jake points out, it's significantly cheaper if you can sell the one you have at a good price and just buy a new one.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
trizzuth

Oh, and Jake, please break down the SAVVY thing for me, what is that exactly?

Edit: This is cool! forget about skooling me, I skooled myself: http://valentineone.com/savvy/

Last edited by trizzuth; 11-16-2012 at 06:22 AM.
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
trizzuth

Blah. So what do you do if you want to use SAVVY, but have the V1 hardwired into the sunroof controls? You'd have to run a wire from there all the way down the A-pillar and connect it to the box near the OBD II port? That sucks. Totally do-able, but sucks.