E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Sean McClellan

My Ride: 2004 325xi
CV Boot Grease

Hey guys,

So I received both of my cv boots in the mail today and I am about to tackle this project, however I do have a question. If you look at the photo below you'll notice that my inner boot kit came with 3 grease packs. Is it really necessary to put all 3 packs into the inner cv joint? The only reason I ask is because the last time I replaced the cv boots on my passenger side (about 2 years ago) the kit came with 2 packs at that time. I used both packs of grease then. After I took my car for a test drive when I was finished, a bunch of grease had escaped from my inner joint and it got slung out everywhere underneath my car and I'm pretty sure there was way too much grease packed inside. And yes- I did tighten the clamp al the way down. I really don't want a repeat of last time- especially where I'd have to crawl back underneath my car to clean everything up.....I can't imagine putting 3 packs of grease in there if 2 was way too much last time! What are your thoughts/opinions? Maybe they just sent me extra grease just in case? As always- thanks guys!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1351360139.863205.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	475717
Sean McClellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McClellan View Post
Hey guys,

....I can't imagine putting 3 packs of grease in there if 2 was way too much last time! What are your thoughts/opinions? ...

Attachment 475717
The boot kits I have received sometimes have 1 and sometime 3 packets of CV joint grease. Yes, it is confusing. I have put 2 packets in and have not had a problem with losing grease, however. Are you using the factory clamps that require the special tool? That Lisle tool has 1/2" drive openings so you can get extra leverage with ratchet handles.

Bentley (pages 311-7 & 311-9) gives "CV joint lubricant capacity" for inner CV joint, 85 grams (3.0 oz), and outer CV joint, 80 grams (2.8 oz).

Last edited by latitude39; 11-17-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Minor correction
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
Just make sure the cv is packed and there is some extra grease in the boot, you don't have to use all of them if you think that is too much.
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Why are you even replacing the inner boot? The outer is the one that fails. The inner sometimes leak at the inside clamp and all you have to do is crimpt it tighter.
bmwbob89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
I can tell you I just just replaced an axle that was leaking grease and I cannot begin to tell you how much grease came out. Whatever they give you is probably correct considering what i saw..
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
the720dbandit

My Ride: 2003 bmw 325xi
Id pull the axles out and send them both to get rebuilt. It cost about $90.00 an axle, and you wont have to worry about the grease. I just had both of my front axles rebuilt. If your gona reboot them you may as well have them rebuilt. I know a drive line shop that only does drive axles and shafts. Its worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
the720dbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Sean McClellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
Why are you even replacing the inner boot? The outer is the one that fails. The inner sometimes leak at the inside clamp and all you have to do is crimpt it tighter.

I am replacing the inner boot because I'll already have the whole axle out and I will know that both boots are brand new. I just don't want to have to pull the axle out again if the inner boot does somehow tear. Besides- the inner boot kit was only $10 and I'd say that's a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the720dbandit View Post
Id pull the axles out and send them both to get rebuilt. It cost about $90.00 an axle, and you wont have to worry about the grease. I just had both of my front axles rebuilt. If your gona reboot them you may as well have them rebuilt. I know a drive line shop that only does drive axles and shafts. Its worth it.
I'll keep that in mind for next time- however I haven't had any vibration issues whatsoever before my outer boot tore. I'm just going to repack the joints and wait until I get vibrations again-then I will probably get them rebuilt or buy OE new ones. Actually come to think of it- I have brand new ball bearings from the last outer joint that I replaced on my passenger side axle. I ordered a new outer joint from the stealership and the threads were all screwed up where the axle nut screws on. I kept the new ball bearings and carrier and put the old ones into the defective joint, and swapped the defective joint for a new one at the stealership. Looks like I'll put those spare bearings into my driver's side outer joint. Awesome! Glad I just remembered that!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
thesamurair

My Ride: 325xi
Only need one per boot.
thesamurair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Sean McClellan

Well what do ya know? I just finished up with my driver's side CV boots and after taking it for a test drive I got underneath the car. Yepp, it slung grease out from the inner joint. So I went in the middle- I used about 2 out of the 3 packs of grease that came with the inner boot kit. Now I'm going to have to keep an eye on it until it decides that it has let enough grease out, and I'll be under there from time to time wiping the grease up. At least its better than not having enough grease in the joint...
Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I don't think the amount of grease slung out is a function of how much grease is in that particular boot. I think it just means the clamp is no good and you should try another.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McClellan View Post
... it slung grease out from the inner joint. ...
What kinds of clamps are you using? Photo?

I think better clamps would make perfect seals. The heavy, factory-type clamps provided with GKN boot kits seal well.
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Sean McClellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitude39 View Post
What kinds of clamps are you using? Photo?

I think better clamps would make perfect seals. The heavy, factory-type clamps provided with GKN boot kits seal well.
I used the clamps provided with the boot kit. (GKN Lobero) This is the 2nd this has happened to me while performing this type of repair. I literally clamped it down as hard as I could. I even attached 2 1/2" drive ratchets to my special clamp tool and crimped it as hard as I could. Even after that the boot still wasn't on as tight as it should be. I then took it to my local Indy shop and had them crimp it more. They managed to get it on tighter but it's definitely not an air tight seal. When I compress the axle in and pull it out (compressing and stretching the inner boot) I hear air entering and escaping. It's only a little though, but it's definitely there. This was the exact same problem as my last cv boot repair on my passenger's side. I don't know what else to do- I've crimped the living crap out of these things...
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
I read somewhere that you should burp the boots to remove excess air before you tighten the clamps. Sometimes the trapped air inside will force grease out as the boot seeks its final install orientation while driving.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
My white xi

My Ride: 2004 330xi
He just did mine today and wooo all new boot and only the outer one
the boot came whit an 115 gramm of grease ..d'int take the axle out of the trans
just cleaned the inner boot and axel repack and a new clip..

Last edited by My white xi; 11-23-2012 at 03:57 PM.
My white xi is offline   Reply With Quote