E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #3281
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
There isn't anything "obvious" about subjective subject matter. What's the best for some isn't the best for all.
It's like trying to tell a dog that the mailman isn't actually there to kill everyone. The dog is still going to get bent out of shape and defensive every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
We want to talk about the product, not the incessant "android is better blah blah blah" instigations.

The only person here incessantly instigating that something is better is tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
jeffro3000,

just curious have you actually used an iOS product? when i mean used, not borrowed from your co-worker and use for an hour. i mean, real world usage. like use it for a week?
Yes, extensively. Both my parents use Apple products, a mac mini, ipad 1, ipad 3, and the just-replaced generation of ipod touch. I've used them all over the years quite a lot anytime I'm in town. (except the ipad 3, it was recent). I enjoy using them and have no problem seeing why other people do too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

Last edited by jeffro3000; 11-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #3282
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
It's like trying to tell a dog that the mailman isn't actually there to kill everyone. The dog is still going to get bent out of shape and defensive every time.

The only person here incessantly instigating that something is better is tampa

Yes, extensively. Both my parents use Apple products, a mac mini, ipad 1, ipad 3, and the just-replaced generation of ipod touch. I've used them all over the years quite a lot anytime I'm in town. (except the ipad 3, it was recent). I enjoy using them and have no problem seeing why other people do too.

oh so you borrowed your parents'. i see.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #3283
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
My iPhone does exactly what I want it to do, I don't know why people keep claiming it doesn't.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #3284
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
My iPhone does exactly what I want it to do, I don't know why people keep claiming it doesn't.
Not true. What are you going to do when you're lost in the desert and you need to send raw GPS data by smoke signal? You won't be able to get that data. So HA!
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #3285
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
Not true. What are you going to do when you're lost in the desert and you need to send raw GPS data by smoke signal? You won't be able to get that data. So HA!
I'm sure there's an app for that.

If not, there's probably an app to hire a native guide. I'll be aight.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #3286
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Thats all anyone can ask for: something that does exactly what they need.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #3287
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
Well maybe if you'd used the new Google maps app instead of Apple maps, you wouldn't be lost in the desert in the first place.

just kidding
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #3288
bry330i

what's your point in posting in this thread anyway? just stick to android and leave this thread to the people who actually use it.

btw, i dont think your experience using IOS is considered as 'real world' usage.

Last edited by bry330i; 11-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #3289
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
ios 6 on the lightning ipad seems to drain the battery a lot faster than the ipad 3 did

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #3290
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Battery seems to drain quicker compared to iPhone 4. Could be just the fact I'm playing with it more.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #3291
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
Since the last iOS update, my iphone 4 battery drains really quick. My mophie case (2000 mah)can't even charge it well if i have to use it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #3292
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWh0r3 View Post
Since the last iOS update, my iphone 4 battery drains really quick. My mophie case (2000 mah)can't even charge it well if i have to use it.
Do you have a Facebook account synced? Since Facebook integration is new with iOS 6 (and so is the extra battery drain), I'd be suspicious that it's draining battery in the background constantly doing some kind of checking for updated calendar, contact or other kind of info.

If not that, then maybe something in iCloud is causing it.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #3293
bry330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Battery seems to drain quicker compared to iPhone 4. Could be just the fact I'm playing with it more.
battery life varies from usage, signal, etc. so many factors that could affect battery life. i get an average of 7 hours of usage. 6 hours maybe the least i got. sometimes i get 10 hours of usage, it really depends.

here's a recent screen shot of my battery life with iphone 5 with the latest update.

mix use of streaming with slingbox, LTE (always on), i also have my push emails set on manual. i also have almost all of my apps notification set to off. maybe that would help you.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #3294
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
battery life varies from usage, signal, etc. so many factors that could affect battery life. i get an average of 7 hours of usage. 6 hours maybe the least i got. sometimes i get 10 hours of usage, it really depends.

here's a recent screen shot of my battery life with iphone 5 with the latest update.

mix use of streaming with slingbox, LTE (always on), i also have my push emails set on manual. i also have almost all of my apps notification set to off. maybe that would help you.

I am getting excellent battery life fortunately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353173431.724259.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	478457

I plugged the phone in for about 10 minutes while in the shower (...hence the notification at the bottom of the attached screen shot ). I am in the gym and I still have 65% battery remaining.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-17-2012 at 11:34 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #3295
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
I am getting excellent battery life fortunately.

Attachment 478457

I plugged the phone in for about 10 minutes while in the shower (...hence the notification at the bottom of the attached screen shot ). I am in the gym and I still have 65% battery remaining.
That's insane! I don't get nearly such good battery life.

So if you don't mind me asking, what options are on/off (Push, LTE, Wi-fi, BT, etc.) and what applications/things were you doing in those 7+ hours?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #3296
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That's insane! I don't get nearly such good battery life.

So if you don't mind me asking, what options are on/off (Push, LTE, Wi-fi, BT, etc.) and what applications/things were you doing in those 7+ hours?
I manually Push just about everything. I have notifications active for Wordfeud, Reminders, EBay and text messages only so that I can access them via iDrive. Wifi is on whenever I'm in an area and I can access it. Battery life is longer when connected to a wifi network. BT is generally activated only when I'm in my car.

Those 7+ hours are mostly spent texting, checking email periodically, and playing WordFeud with a few other CHP officers (..Frobie and I go at it all day...LOL! ), Scramble with Friends, SongPop and Words with Friends. I also check the forum a lot from my phone (...I'm currently on my phone and at 51% ).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #3297
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
I manually Push just about everything. I have notifications active for Wordfeud, Reminders, EBay and text messages only so that I can access them via iDrive. Wifi is on whenever I'm in an area and I can access it. Battery life is longer when connected to a wifi network. BT is generally activated only when I'm in my car.

Those 7+ hours are mostly spent texting, checking email periodically, and playing WordFeud with a few other CHP officers (..Frobie and I go at it all day...LOL! ), Scramble with Friends, SongPop and Words with Friends. I also check the forum a lot from my phone (...I'm currently on my phone ).
Very solid! And do you leave LTE on?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #3298
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Very solid! And do you leave LTE on?
I only activate it when I'm in LA/Santa Monica. I don't get LTE in Rancho.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-17-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #3299
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Do you have a Facebook account synced? Since Facebook integration is new with iOS 6 (and so is the extra battery drain), I'd be suspicious that it's draining battery in the background constantly doing some kind of checking for updated calendar, contact or other kind of info.

If not that, then maybe something in iCloud is causing it.

I don't use iCloud or that Facebook sync crap. Have all notifications off except phone and text messaging. Screen brightness is turned down. iOS 6 is just a power hog. Just found out that lte is available in my area though. Maybe i should upgrade from my lowly 4 to the 5.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #3300
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWh0r3 View Post
I don't use iCloud or that Facebook sync crap. Have all notifications off except phone and text messaging. Screen brightness is turned down. iOS 6 is just a power hog. Just found out that lte is available in my area though. Maybe i should upgrade from my lowly 4 to the 5.
I disagree about its power consumption, but I may just have a stellar example of awesome battery life (..or it could be that the difference in performance is attributed to me having a 5 rather than a 4). I'm currently at 1 day, 5 hours.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-17-2012 at 02:40 PM.