E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Bad Cramps While Running

Hey H&F!

Last night i was doing a metcon that consisted of 400m runs, box jump, pullups, thrusters and kb swings. To open the metcon I smoked the first 400m run and felt great. I got inside and began doing the other exercises and eventually it became time for another 400m run. About 200m in I started getting bad cramps in my abdomen. I don't usually get cramps and if I do, they quickly go away if I continue to run. This time however, they were debilitating. I got back inside (slow jog/walk the rest of the way) and still cramped up although not as bad during the box jumps. None of the weight stuff bothered me, but as soon as I went to run the next 400m again I cramped up bad. At this point I walked the rest of the distance and stopped the workout from there. Do any of you ever cramp up so bad in your abs you need to stop working? I've never had this happen to me and my cardio is definitely in good shape so I wasn't just winded.

I thought maybe I was dehydrated since I drank a bit over the weekend, but I didnt go crazy and by the time I did this exercise it was Tuesday.

I've had hernias when I was real small (toddler age), but lifting didn't aggravate this, it was only the cardio/plyo stuff.

My only other thought was that I have a large crap in me that needs to come out.

Any thoughts?
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
the obvious solution is water.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
the obvious solution is water.
This.

Quote:
At a minimum you should be consuming 64 ounces every non-training day and 128 ounces every training day. Your mileage may vary, so individualize!

Last edited by dabears; 10-31-2012 at 10:53 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
I'll echo the "more water" statement. I force myself to drink a bottle of water every hour........more if it's a training day.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
I think your period is about to start.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I'll echo the "more water" statement. I force myself to drink a bottle of water every hour........more if it's a training day.
I do the same, easy to do at work. At first it felt as if I was "forcing" it but it seems almost natural to me now.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
i just buy those big ass crystal gallon jugs and drink that and a couple water bottles a day. i love water
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
I have a trick that I use to drink more water. I always drink a 20oz bottle of water before I leave the house in the morning then refill it. Everytime I refill it at home or work I slam half of it then fill it again. That way it is more like 30oz. I do this 5 times a day easy.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
ShootyzGruve

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but figured I'd check the knowledge base here. I definitely don't drink as much water as you all are suggesting, I'll have to up my intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
I think your period is about to start.
Hahaha. I knew I was gonna get this and I can't say that I don't deserve it.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Cramping is your body's way of being like no bitch fvck you I need some h20.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
I'm not buying the water answer. Not for abdomen cramps. Muscle cramps, absolutely. Are you sure you're not getting a side stitch?

If so, or if you're not sure, a side stitch is a result of a spasm in the diaphram. They can be absolutely debilitating. The good news is they are easier to control than most people think. The key is slow, easy, deep breathing. When you're winded that can seem quite hard, but you still need to breathe as deeply as possible. That means exhaling as fully as you can. Whatever stale air you leave in your lungs just takes up space that cannot be refilled by fresh air. Next time you run, try to keep deeper, controlled breaths.

I've never had stomach cramps from dehydration.

If by chance this is a dehydration issue, try taking electrolyte suppliments. Good running stores should have them. The most popular are Hammer Enduralytes. I've used these with great success.

Again though, I don't think stomach cramps are a dehydration issue, especially if they are coming during running.

[addendum] I've been so dehydrated at an ultra-marathon that I peed blood for a couple of days (the bladder is so empty the walls rub against each other and bleed) and I never had abdomen cramps.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Last edited by Geo31; 10-31-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
I'm not buying the water answer. Not for abdomen cramps. Muscle cramps, absolutely. Are you sure you're not getting a side stitch?

If so, or if you're not sure, a side stitch is a result of a spasm in the diaphram. They can be absolutely debilitating. The good news is they are easier to control than most people think. The key is slow, easy, deep breathing. When you're winded that can seem quite hard, but you still need to breathe as deeply as possible. That means exhaling as fully as you can. Whatever stale air you leave in your lungs just takes up space that cannot be refilled by fresh air. Next time you run, try to keep deeper, controlled breaths.

I've never had stomach cramps from dehydration.

If by chance this is a dehydration issue, try taking electrolyte suppliments. Good running stores should have them. The most popular are Hammer Enduralytes. I've used these with great success.

Again though, I don't think stomach cramps are a dehydration issue, especially if they are coming during running.

[addendum] I've been so dehydrated at an ultra-marathon that I peed blood for a couple of days (the bladder is so empty the walls rub against each other and bleed) and I never had abdomen cramps.
Actually yesterday was the first time I've heard of a side stitch. Thanks for your insight. Ill try some of the breathing advice.

Ultra-marathon runner eh? My best friend's cousin is big into ultramarathons and my buddy tells me about the races he runs. You guys are crazy. Up until a few years ago I had never heard of such a thing and it still blows my mind to think of running for over 100 miles straight!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Geo31
Ironman

Well my ultra was a 50k (31 miles). No 100+ miles for me (at least not running). I may do 50 miles down the road sometime (my GF is doing 50 miles in Feb), but not 100. Ugh! Anyway, based upon your description I'd guess side stitch. Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Well my ultra was a 50k (31 miles). No 100+ miles for me (at least not running). I may do 50 miles down the road sometime (my GF is doing 50 miles in Feb), but not 100. Ugh! Anyway, based upon your description I'd guess side stitch. Good luck. Tell us how it goes.
That is still an amazing amount of running. So you've done an ironman eh? That is really cool. Im looking to get into Tri's, but I will need some serious work on swimming.

As far as the cramps go it seems things are better. I've been hydrating much more and although I still had a bit of trouble in the days immediately following the first incident, nothing like the original. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Too much water right before a run can also cause cramps.

To help alleviate the while running, switch from running on your toes to running on your heels. Breathe deeper, and they should dissipate.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
That is still an amazing amount of running. So you've done an ironman eh? That is really cool. Im looking to get into Tri's, but I will need some serious work on swimming.

As far as the cramps go it seems things are better. I've been hydrating much more and although I still had a bit of trouble in the days immediately following the first incident, nothing like the original. Thanks for the help!
Proper hydration will reduce muscle cramps. GI cramps are usually something else.

Yep, did an Ironman last year. Trying to plan the next one. My plan was Regensburg. Yep, that Regensburg (where E46s were made). BUT, next year's race is canceled and as I understand it, 2014 and beyond are in serious doubt. If Regensburg does get reinstated, I WILL do that one. Otherwise my primary choices are Sweden or Wales. Both are COLD swims.

Swimming is something that can feel worse than awkward at first, but will come with repitition. I grew up in a pool, but never swam any types of strokes. My first swim training (after I'd already signed up) I stood up after my first length (25 yds) and said "Two point [gasp, gasp] how many miles???" By the time the race rolled around the swim was easy and enjoyable. I was slow, but very comfortably made the swim cut-off.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
Increase your potassium intake and hydrate more. That helped me when I would cramp up bad

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
JDez is offline   Reply With Quote