E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Just got hardtop installed

Just wanted to offer any help to anyone adding the hardtop to their convertible. I have figure out most all the steps & adjustments. Let me know if you need any help. I'll post pictures later as shes in the garage now, cleaning her up & waxing for the winter.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Oh the envy.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
bimmernut3

Here's what it looks like before I black out the side chrome.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Why would you put a hardtop on a vert?
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Snik
OEM ///Member

Cause it makes them look better than coupes. And because if you don't drop your top a lot and you're having less than ideal weather. Hardtop is nice
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
E46er75

Better looking than coupes? From the pictures it doesnt look all that appealing. I have a vert and I beg to differ on the looks but hey, you like it thats all that matters....
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

ah, thats 1 picture, and his still has the chrome trim.
Plus thats MY opinion, as well as a several others i know, so differ all you want

Last edited by Snik; 11-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
Why would you put a hardtop on a vert?
@ E46er75...Why do I want a hardtop?....for the same reason you have an all wheel drive next to your vert. You CAN....right. You probably leave the convertible in doors all winter & drive the xi. and let me guess, you have snow tires on the X........

I live in the best mountain road area in the eastern US and if I have to drive around on them with the top up during our below 50 deg days, lets put a hard top on it and pretend it's a coupe. Best of both worlds. AND how many Mystic Blue ZHP hardtop coupes do you see out there?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
azndrunk74

My Ride: LSB vert
does it creak at all with the hardtop adjusted so tightly? i had to leave a bigger gap on mine to lessen the creaking noise. i liked how the hardtop looked when it was flush with the rest of the car but the creaking was killing me.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
@ E46er75...Why do I want a hardtop?....for the same reason you have an all wheel drive next to your vert. You CAN....right. You probably leave the convertible in doors all winter & drive the xi. and let me guess, you have snow tires on the X........

I live in the best mountain road area in the eastern US and if I have to drive around on them with the top up during our below 50 deg days, lets put a hard top on it and pretend it's a coupe. Best of both worlds. AND how many Mystic Blue ZHP hardtop coupes do you see out there?

I see your reason for the hardtop. You're clearly very sensitive to comments and most likely equally as sensitive to weather.

FYI, no snow tires on my XI. BTW my vert gets more miles in the winter actually. My wife drives the XI (without snow tires) in the winter.

Like I said it's your car I could care less how it looks, it's not mine. I was just wondering why one would buy a convertible, then turn it into a coupe,Then say it looks better a coupe....

Looks like you should have bought a coupe there mountain man....

Take care

Last edited by E46er75; 11-16-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
I bought a convertible a few months ago that came with a hard top. I sold the hard top, but my car won't be driven during the winter. If I drove my convertible during winter months, I would definately put the hard top on. I also find the hard top looks very good.

Living in New England I am surprised that you don't see the value in this, and that you let your wife drive the XI without winter tires! We have 2 Subarus and both are shoed with Nokian Hakkas for the winter. I see no reason not to take every measure to make sure you and especially your wife have the safest car possible for those horrible winter conditions.

Nice ride BimmerNut3
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
does it creak at all with the hardtop adjusted so tightly? i had to leave a bigger gap on mine to lessen the creaking noise. i liked how the hardtop looked when it was flush with the rest of the car but the creaking was killing me.
@ azndrunck74.....I do NOT have any of the creaking that to referred to. However, I lubricated the back bottom seal before installing with a good vinyl/rubber coating. I'm not sure if this helped that or not. I measured around the back area & have about 3mm clearance from metal bottom edge to the body and am not sure what is specified. I have very little wind noise & the car feel 'tighter' but this might be my imagination.

@ E46er75......I was just having a little fun with you. Didn't mean to offend you & no, I wasn't offended either. :>) FWIW; I had the top, why not put it on during the 'cold' months? I doubt that I would be dropping the top much during the months ahead. Also, when we drive our mountains or Blue Ridge Parkway, you lose about 5 deg for every 1000' of elevation, so it does get colder up there. We're at about 2200' here and a 20 min drive you're at 5000-6000'. Why do it in a soft top when you have the hard top. Just sayin. I apologize if I offended you.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
ZXERT

My Ride: The Bus
I like it, more pics. How much did you pay and where did you get it?
ZXERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXERT View Post
I like it, more pics. How much did you pay and where did you get it?
I found it locally at $500 with cover & stand + BMW windscreen for $50 & a BMW outdoor cover for $30. I couldn't turn it down. She also threw in the BMW convertible top care kit for free. Her convertible was totaled and she bought a newer hardtop convertible & didn't need it. Sometime parts are cheaper when you want to sell them but expensive when you want to buy them, right.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bimmernut3; 11-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

Fuuuuukkk. Why can't I find a hardtop for that.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Mr. Din

My Ride: e46 M
heres one for $700 for those that are near...

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3327776649.html

If no one grabs it maybe ill make a drive from texas to get it..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I bought a convertible a few months ago that came with a hard top. I sold the hard top, but my car won't be driven during the winter. If I drove my convertible during winter months, I would definately put the hard top on. I also find the hard top looks very good.

Living in New England I am surprised that you don't see the value in this, and that you let your wife drive the XI without winter tires! We have 2 Subarus and both are shoed with Nokian Hakkas for the winter. I see no reason not to take every measure to make sure you and especially your wife have the safest car possible for those horrible winter conditions.

Nice ride BimmerNut3

Winter tires are for hypochondriacs.. My 9 year old could drive an AWD without snow tires.

I should have stop reading after you said Subaru..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
@ azndrunck74.....I do NOT have any of the creaking that to referred to. However, I lubricated the back bottom seal before installing with a good vinyl/rubber coating. I'm not sure if this helped that or not. I measured around the back area & have about 3mm clearance from metal bottom edge to the body and am not sure what is specified. I have very little wind noise & the car feel 'tighter' but this might be my imagination.

@ E46er75......I was just having a little fun with you. Didn't mean to offend you & no, I wasn't offended either. :>) FWIW; I had the top, why not put it on during the 'cold' months? I doubt that I would be dropping the top much during the months ahead. Also, when we drive our mountains or Blue Ridge Parkway, you lose about 5 deg for every 1000' of elevation, so it does get colder up there. We're at about 2200' here and a 20 min drive you're at 5000-6000'. Why do it in a soft top when you have the hard top. Just sayin. I apologize if I offended you.

All in good fun, no forum will offend me!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Quote:
My 9 year old could drive an AWD without snow tires
I didn't realise your 9 year old can defy the laws of physics and of all season rubber compounds vs winter ones.

Oh, and don't hate on the Subies....

Last edited by Poncho@home; 11-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Nice top, im picking mine up next month!!

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote