E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Droneh8tr

My Ride: 2000 323i E46 Sedan
Will someone measure the radiator fluid level stick for me..

The PO of my 2000 323i E46 BROKE the fluid level stick in the expansion tank. Not much was broken off, but enough that I cant be sure if I have the right level of Radiator fluid..
Would someone do this.. measure the stick inside the expansion tank from the bottom of the stick to the full mark and let me know what it is.
And No I don't know how he did it..
Droneh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I'm sure dmax will be along, but I think it's 5.5". Not to open a can of worms again, but you can fill it all the way full and the system will purge itself of excess...some people disagree here. I'm not big on needlessly replacing the entire cooling system, but it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the ET and water pump if you don't know the age of those parts.

Last edited by lcoleman; 11-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Droneh8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
I'm sure dmax will be along, but I think it's 5.5". Not to open a can of worms again, but you can fill it all the way full and the system will purge itself of excess...some people disagree here. I'm not big on needlessly replacing the entire cooling system, but it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the ET and water pump if you don't know the age of those parts.
Your 100% correct.. I'm absolutely planning to do that, but for the time being I would like to be as close as possible..
Just to confirm, you think it 5.5" from the bottom of the stick to the full mark?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droneh8tr View Post
Your 100% correct.. I'm absolutely planning to do that, but for the time being I would like to be as close as possible..
Just to confirm, you think it 5.5" from the bottom of the stick to the full mark?
always measure from the base

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It's 5.5" from top of the filler neck ...or another way, is look at the float...when it's 'just' touching the bottom of the bracket that holds the float and your broken dipstick...you shouldn't see coolant above the float at all. About 2 cups of air is in there.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
the max attack is back

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You wil be as close as you can get if you fill the fluid until the nub is even with the top of the filler hole.

There is absolutely no reason to get this "perfect". If there was ever a job where "close enough," was good enough, filling the radiator is it.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Droneh8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
always measure from the base
"I don't care who you are thats funny right there"
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Droneh8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It's 5.5" from top of the filler neck ...or another way, is look at the float...when it's 'just' touching the bottom of the bracket that holds the float and your broken dipstick...you shouldn't see coolant above the float at all. About 2 cups of air is in there.

HTH
I can do that thanks...
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Droneh8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You wil be as close as you can get if you fill the fluid until the nub is even with the top of the filler hole.

There is absolutely no reason to get this "perfect". If there was ever a job where "close enough," was good enough, filling the radiator is it.
Your right... I was just bored at work and thought I would get the VERY BEST answer I could...

Thanks everyone..
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
you can fill it all the way full and the system will purge itself of excess...
It might not be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the et and water pump if you don't know the age of those parts.
+1
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote