E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #41
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
considering FSR just made 906whp on a simple cast log manifold with a 6466 on a 3.0L supra, it might want to make you guys rethink spending tons of money on a tubular manifold.....

Trust me ill spend no money until proof. I dont think its going to be as awesome as people think.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Trust me ill spend no money until proof. I dont think its going to be as awesome as people think.....

I actually agree with this.. I'm pretty confident the manifold is not the bottleneck here.. that said I'm not against a better manifold, but I don't think the 'answer to all our problems' is the manifold.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #43
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
What do you think the bottle neck is? The M3 makes great power up to about 900 rwhp and then seems choked. The cylinder head is superior to most of the cars we build. Intake manifold and TBs are certainly not the problem. What else could it be?
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #44
InDiGlOM3

Well looking at the turbo and manifold side by side the other week while putting my new 6766 turbo on the turbo itself looks like the bottleneck....cant you get bigger exhaust side? Adds lag but more top end? Supras in comparison might not have this same problem with same turbos because they flow less volume? Idk just an idea...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #45
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
It is not the turbo, people have tried the 7175 turbos and they seem to cap around 900 also. The 7175 has a much larger turbine wheel!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #46
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Well looking at the turbo and manifold side by side the other week while putting my new 6766 turbo on the turbo itself looks like the bottleneck....cant you get bigger exhaust side? Adds lag but more top end? Supras in comparison might not have this same problem with same turbos because they flow less volume? Idk just an idea...

I"m running a 7275, didn't gain power.. still making just under 900rwhp.. added lots of lag.. :\

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #47
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
When is "soon"?
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #48
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
well, for us HPF Kit owners that ARE NOT Considering changing to a Tubular exhaust manifold can relax.

The "Low Mount" Charge pipe we saw in the pic on Page 1 was NOT built to fit the HPF car, it was built to fit there turbo kit with a tubular manifold :-)
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #49
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I"m running a 7275, didn't gain power.. still making just under 900rwhp.. added lots of lag.. :\

Exactly, you should have picked up over 100 HP. There is a bottleneck and it is not the turbo. HPF had a 8285 on their car and it barely made 1000. It should be making close to 1300 with that turbo!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #50
InDiGlOM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
Exactly, you should have picked up over 100 HP. There is a bottleneck and it is not the turbo. HPF had a 8285 on their car and it barely made 1000. It should be making close to 1300 with that turbo!
The hpf drag car has a huge tubi mani....and even thou it has the auto it makes a little over 800whp, if it had the manual where do you think it would be? Not much past 1000whp which has been done on the log mani

Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #51
MarcusLSB

Quote:
If anyone remembers.. roughly a year ago all the rage was that the intake was the bottleneck.. so HPF rerouted theirs by removing the AC in their track car, made a little more.. but not much.. Then Saad came up with a creative solution as well, routing it up from, from down below just before the oil cooler.. picked up a little power as well. Its not the intake manifold as HPF has a rather large plenum, compared to Saad/ProEFI's smaller plenum.. everyone's run the log style (and semi-tubular Steed Speed) manifolds.. no difference between the two.. so really that leaves pretty much the heads.. and throttle bodies.

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #52
95silverM

My Ride: 05' IB M3
I think a tubular mani can help in a good way. Look at member M5chas' car (pro-efi/saad built); made 890whp on e85 utilizing a Saad built tubular manifold on a 6766.. very impressive for that turbo. Most on the boards are still running the HPF "2piece cast style" manifold, still yeilding good results. The typical stage 3 is making about 850wheel on a 71 trim with race and meth.. Just food for thought

sold&missed

S54 Block & Crank in hand ::evilface::

Teddy
Eurotechniks
95silverM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #53
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Pressure sensors.

Anyone looking for the answer to what the restriction is, needs to employ some pressure sensors.

• If you think it's pre-turbo: Put a MAP sensor in front of the turbo to log vacuum.
  • If you think it's the charge piping: Run a pressure sensor on the turbo outlet and an ITB, then compare the 2.
  • If you think it's the turbo manifold: Run a pressure sensor pre-turbine housing and in an ITB, and compare the 2. (You're looking at the pressure ratio there)

Rather than throw thousands of $$$ in hardware at a perceived problem, the first thing I would do is get some data.....

I suspect some people have this data....but due to political reasons, don't want to point any fingers.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 11-17-2012 at 03:52 AM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #54
InDiGlOM3

I bet the 6766 on e85 with the steedspeed could make same numbers just fine.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #55
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Marcus, what exhaust manifold do you have??
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #56
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Pressure sensors.

Anyone looking for the answer to what the restriction is, needs to employ some pressure sensors.

• If you think it's pre-turbo: Put a MAP sensor in front of the turbo to log vacuum.
  • If you think it's the charge piping: Run a pressure sensor on the turbo outlet and an ITB, then compare the 2.
  • If you think it's the turbo manifold: Run a pressure sensor pre-turbine housing and in an ITB, and compare the 2. (You're looking at the pressure ratio there)

Rather than throw thousands of $$$ in hardware at a perceived problem, the first thing I would do is get some data.....

I suspect some people have this data....but due to political reasons, don't want to point any fingers.

We have done some of that. Jason reported that taking off the HPF intake and replacing it with a 4" setup netted him over 50 hp! We have both measured ex back pressure at the turbo. It is not all that ridiculously high actually but that does not tell us the entire story in a log manifold as because the turbo sits near the rear and the first 5 runners all merge together, there may be high BP at the front cylinders.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #57
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
The hpf drag car has a huge tubi mani....and even thou it has the auto it makes a little over 800whp, if it had the manual where do you think it would be? Not much past 1000whp which has been done on the log mani

Depends on how loose the converter is but typically the manual tranny cars dyno about 100 more rwhp for us.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #58
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Marcus, what exhaust manifold do you have??
I was the first to get the HPF Log manifold that replaced the Steed Speed.

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #59
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
If anyone remembers.. roughly a year ago all the rage was that the intake was the bottleneck.. so HPF rerouted theirs by removing the AC in their track car, made a little more.. but not much.. Then Saad came up with a creative solution as well, routing it up from, from down below just before the oil cooler.. picked up a little power as well. Its not the intake manifold as HPF has a rather large plenum, compared to Saad/ProEFI's smaller plenum.. everyone's run the log style (and semi-tubular Steed Speed) manifolds.. no difference between the two.. so really that leaves pretty much the heads.. and throttle bodies.

I have a hard time believing it is the head though. That head probably flows 40% better than a 2J head if not more. The M stock cams are almost as large as the biggest ones we put in 2Js.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #60
MarcusLSB

Quote:
I have a hard time believing it is the head though. That head probably flows 40% better than a 2J head if not more. The M stock cams are almost as large as the biggest ones we put in 2Js.
I'm not overly familiar with the 2jz heads, but do you port them for the 1000rwhp or so cars?

New Build by Lab22