E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Hestitation finally banished

It only took 4 years. Because of the acceleration hesitation/stumble/hiccup, the car was never quite perfect even though it was quite brilliant.

The final piece in the hesitation puzzle turned out to be the pre-cat O2 sensors. With the factory 121k O2's replaced, the car drove exactly how I liked it. What always bugged me before was the unpredictable hesitation on hard take offs from stand still. It could never be reproduced on demand and often cropped up when I least expect it to. To say it drove me nuts would be an understatement.

After doing extensive research on O2 sensors recently, I took a calculated gamble and bought a new set of Bosch-same-as-OEM sensors, and it paid off. The O2's controlled the fuel air mixture during idling and idle running (such as cruising with minimal throttle). The O2 signals were not used during acceleration, except when transitioning from idle to acceleration. Old sensors became less responsive and transitioned slowly resulting in hesitations.

My long route to success was the following:

1. Replaced vanos seals and eliminated a large amount of hesitations and poor power in first gear.

2. Cleaned the ICV and straitened the connecting air hose. This ended the kangaroo hopping when rolling the car along with no throttle from cold start. Hesitation was improved somewhat.

3. Replaced factory ignition coils with noticeable heat blisters. This improved hesitation significantly.

4. Randomly threw a new set of spark plugs at the car. It was a complete waste of money and these didn't do jack for the car or the hesitation.

5. New pre-cat O2's. Hesitation all gone. Nice, and traffic light drag racing is so much more pleasant.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 08-02-2011 at 05:58 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Mine has some hesitation as well, although not driving me nuts, I've had a hunch that it's my ignition coils.

I recall a few maintenance guides call for new O2 sensors every 100K (since that's the typical life of them), so spot on.

Nice thread GN.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
C'mon man, everyone knows that hesitation in our engines is due to using the improper oil and the improper amount. Here's how I cured my hesitation:

1.Use 2tsp of canola oil for every 1qt of motor oil.
2.Find some grassy area after a moderate to hard rain.
3.Drive vehicle through a muddy spot in said grassy area. MAKE SURE you coat the underside in a mud/grass mixture NO GREATER than 3/1.
4. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wash of the mud. It's there as a protectant. Doing so will surely cause your ICV to fail and possibly a spontaneous combustion of the motor itself.
5.Finally, drain canola/motor oil mixture and flush with CocaCola. The caramel color in the CocaCola will actually hone your cylinder walls to better than factory spec. Fill motor with a fresh canola/motor oil mix and enjoy happy motoring for years to come!!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Road black undercoated by copper grease mixed with cat hair is a superior under car protectant than mud and grass. My formulation is heat resistant, water repellant, and rust retardant/reverse-ant. It also gives the undercar a smart blacked-out look.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 08-02-2011 at 07:03 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Maybe I'll do this next to cure my accelerating jerking/surging at low RPMs. My car does not want to make smooth transitions at low rpms. It goes from no power to full power and produces a very annoying surging/bucking. Then after that it pulls healthily and normally to redline.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So what is it about an O2 sensor that causes it to fail? I don't want to know how long mine have been in there, but I can idle at 1'/sec or so it seems. I'll have to think about fixing something that isn't broken! Still, I'll have to find out what a computer can tell about the health of an 02 sensor. Interesting!

BTW, do you line the cat hairs up in a perfect grid, or just randomly? Mix in a blender or fold together?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

I replaced my O2s and still have a surge at 2,000 RPMs. Not sure what it could be. Everythings healthy, up to date, cleaned. Vanos done. Coil boots done. Sparks done. Disa resealed and healthy. CCV done. Software updated. No codes. The surge is hard--rear ended by a minivan at 5mph hard--in first gear.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Well...'everything' doesn't sound healthy! lol

If it's that big of a surge, I'd randomly guess a few things:

Intake leak you don't want to admit!

MAF problem.

Maybe the throttle position sensor? I don't think I have one on mine, but believe it's a hall sensor...and if you were missing a 'hall' seems like at the next hall up, you'd have a kick. (Might be another name for it...but think there are two sensors on the pedal...you probably know it better than me)

Let the random guessing begin! (I'll say fuses and battery just to see if GN comes out of hiding to yell at me!)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I thought for a second that there was a new GN thread
Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

lol. No intake leak that i know of. intake boots super pure. CCV system and all plumbing replaced. no codes. I do have a 5.5+ long-term fuel trim for both cylinder banks (not sure if thats normal)

I wonder if golf-tee mod could cause this? yes its plugged with a screw and zip tie and yes i verified said screw is still in place...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I thought for a second that there was a new GN thread
I bumped it to get your hopes up!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

And by the way, the only way to NOT experience the surge is to throttle gently until I pass 2k rpm. After that, the car is perfect. Any normal or aggressive throttle at take off results in the surge.

I'm thinking the car is actually hesitating before 2krpm and the surge is just the car accelerating how it should... though i'm not sure.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I bumped it to get your hopes up!
You're such a tease

Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Maybe one of our UK members can drop by and check on Nuts. I have his address. I kid you not.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
I replaced my O2s and still have a surge at 2,000 RPMs. Not sure what it could be. Everythings healthy, up to date, cleaned. Vanos done. Coil boots done. Sparks done. Disa resealed and healthy. CCV done. Software updated. No codes. The surge is hard--rear ended by a minivan at 5mph hard--in first gear.
Should clean the ICV and throttle body while you're at it, won't hurt. What do you mean you "resealed" the DISA?
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
Should clean the ICV and throttle body while you're at it, won't hurt. What do you mean you "resealed" the DISA?
EVERYTHING DONE. You can EAT off of the BACK of my throttle body.. don't get me started on the ICV either.

Meaning I bought a german auto solutions seal and re-sealed my DISA. You could eat off of my DISA too. Being the OCD fanatic I am, I spent LOTS of time cleaning these parts.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
EVERYTHING DONE. You can EAT off of the BACK of my throttle body.. don't get me started on the ICV either.

Meaning I bought a german auto solutions seal and re-sealed my DISA. You could eat off of my DISA too. Being the OCD fanatic I am, I spent LOTS of time cleaning these parts.
Doesn't matter how clean your DISA is if the valve/flap is screwed, but I'm assuming you're fine if you're as OCD as you claim lol....
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

thats obvious. my disa is tight and retains pressure when vacuum port is blocked. nothing loose or broken

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
raymoon

My Ride: Alpinweiß III
Sorry to revive an old thread, but shouldn't a faulty O2 sensor be throwing a code? I'm having the same problem, but my mechanic is saying it SHOULD be throwing a code if its working improperly. It sounds like my issue because it only happens occasionally and usually the first time I set off after starting the car (from idle) or if ive been sitting at a light or something (idling). Maybe happens once a day or once every 2 days.
raymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
eph6jonprice

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
It only took 4 years. Because of the acceleration hesitation/stumble/hiccup, the car was never quite perfect even though it was quite brilliant.

The final piece in the hesitation puzzle turned out to be the pre-cat O2 sensors. With the factory 121k O2's replaced, the car drove exactly how I liked it. What always bugged me before was the unpredictable hesitation on hard take offs from stand still. It could never be reproduced on demand and often cropped up when I least expect it to. To say it drove me nuts would be an understatement.

After doing extensive research on O2 sensors recently, I took a calculated gamble and bought a new set of Bosch-same-as-OEM sensors, and it paid off. The O2's controlled the fuel air mixture during idling and idle running (such as cruising with minimal throttle). The O2 signals were not used during acceleration, except when transitioning from idle to acceleration. Old sensors became less responsive and transitioned slowly resulting in hesitations.

My long route to success was the following:

1. Replaced vanos seals and eliminated a large amount of hesitations and poor power in first gear.

2. Cleaned the ICV and straitened the connecting air hose. This ended the kangaroo hopping when rolling the car along with no throttle from cold start. Hesitation was improved somewhat.

3. Replaced factory ignition coils with noticeable heat blisters. This improved hesitation significantly.

4. Randomly threw a new set of spark plugs at the car. It was a complete waste of money and these didn't do jack for the car or the hesitation.

5. New pre-cat O2's. Hesitation all gone. Nice, and traffic light drag racing is so much more pleasant.
I'm actually good on the hesitation, but getting a p1192 code that is making ME go nuts, and I definitely get the "kangaroo hopping" on cold starts... even rolling down my driveway when the car is cold gives me the occasional jerk. You said cleaning the ICV and straightening the air hose solved this? Do you have a thread or DIY on it? I would be VERY grateful... just spent most of my Saturday in the freezing cold checking, replacing, and plugging vacuum lines in the proper place and it's STILL doing it! Thanks!
eph6jonprice is offline   Reply With Quote