E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Reno

My Ride: E46 doh!
Any ideas why a belt would squeak at WOT Accelerations and not in Idle ?

My friend drives an S40 with an automatic tensioner (just tensioner, they don't have idlers there).
Everything on the AUX system is looking good. New alternator, new belt. Everything is moving straight... No noise whatsoever in Idle, or even when doing WOT in Idle. There is only a belt squeak when down shifting to 1st+ WOT or WOT accelerations from a standing start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Why arent U answering the questions Mr.Quattro??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Reno looks like Special Forces Jesus!
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Toomuchpowa!!!
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
My friend drives an S40 with an automatic tensioner (just tensioner, they don't have idlers there).
Everything on the AUX system is looking good. New alternator, new belt. Everything is moving straight... No noise whatsoever in Idle, or even when doing WOT in Idle. There is only a belt squeak when down shifting to 1st+ WOT or WOT accelerations from a standing start.
Down shifting, in particular, can cause sudden increase (acceleration) in engine RPM. More so than acceleration. The torque from the crankshaft pully is transmitted to the water pump, alternator and power steering pump by friction. Up to a point, that is. The amount of available friction is dependant on the properties and condition of the belt and pulleys and also the angular velocity of the pulleys (which equates to the linear velocity of the belt) at any point in time. The third factor is the magnitude of the force applied to the belt by the tensioner pulley spring. If your belt is squealing under deceleration this means that the acceleration of the crankshaft pulley is not being transmitted to the accessory pulleys. Instead the belt is skidding over the pulley surfaces. Either the belt is worn, affecting the available friction between belt and pullies, or the tensioner spring has weakened. This will inevitably increase wear and bring on the possibility of failure through snapping which can have expensive consequences.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-17-2012 at 12:49 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Good explaination Ray, I didn't understand it but it's still good...
Now let's give it five minutes for some of our good friends over the water to suggest replacing every moving part possible, just in case... Right?
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Basically when you increase engine RPM, the pulleys require more torque to spin. The belt will slip if you break the maximum static friction force. Anyway, when shifting that hard in first there is probably a large amount of jerk applied to the pulleys. And I mean that in this sense:

Speed is the rate at which you are changing position.
Acceleration is the rate and which you are changing speed.
Jerk is the rate at which you are changing acceleration.

BTW, you can't go "WOT in Idle". Idle is minimum throttle.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmagoo View Post
Good explaination Ray, I didn't understand it but it's still good...
Now let's give it five minutes for some of our good friends over the water to suggest replacing every moving part possible, just in case... Right?
Yes. That seems to be the norm. Personally, I don't know how you can test the voracity of teh tensiioner. In theory you might be able to hook a spring balance onto it and measure the force required to move it over an inch, for example. But that would be too big a pain in the arse. A new tensioner is going to cost you about 40 and a new serpentine belt about 25 maybe less. You might as well change the AC belt while you are there because you have to take it off anyway. You may as well stick a new one on. That's about 15.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Basically when you increase engine RPM, the pulleys require more torque to spin. The belt will slip if you break the maximum static friction force. Anyway, when shifting that hard in first there is probably a large amount of jerk applied to the pulleys. And I mean that in this sense:

Speed is the rate at which you are changing position.
Acceleration is the rate and which you are changing speed.
Jerk is the rate at which you are changing acceleration.

BTW, you can't go "WOT in Idle". Idle is minimum throttle.
Its how that old trick of pulling the table cloth from the table, leaving the plates in place, works.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Reno

My Ride: E46 doh!
from my friend

Aha, thanks for the good explanations ! So to recap, it must be a matter of tensioner/belt mechanism ? So it can "be lazy" even when it's looking good in Idle state ? Before I order a new one, Timing belts don't just squeak squeak, right ? The engine would stop before it would actually squeak.. I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Why arent U answering the questions Mr.Quattro??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Reno looks like Special Forces Jesus!
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
from my friend

Aha, thanks for the good explanations ! So to recap, it must be a matter of tensioner/belt mechanism ? So it can "be lazy" even when it's looking good in Idle state ? Before I order a new one, Timing belts don't just squeak squeak, right ? The engine would stop before it would actually squeak.. I assume.
Timing belts are toothed so they don't squeak, they jump, and then you bend a valve.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote