E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
welcher330xi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Tips for top CCV hose connection?

I finally got my new CCV loosely mounted (in hopes of making the hose connections easier) and the top hose (the one that comes up through a gap in the intake manifold and requires spinning) seems nearly impossible to connect with the manifold in the way. Is there a special way to do this? Or is it just go until you get lucky? In hindsight I would have probably saved time in the long run just taking the intake manifold off for this install.

I have way too many hours in this project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attaus View Post
Twice as much profit? Yeah, maybe in Canadian dollars.
welcher330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Lube the ends off the separator and inside of the hose with fresh oil and have fun. That is the part where you WILL cut yourself up lovely

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You have the cold weather package, no doubt.

I gave up with the foam, but what worked for me was a loose ccv and twisting the hose enough to getting it to click on...you 'pre-load' it with twist and that seemed to do the trick...but with foam, not as simple.

Some have tried with the top hose connected already...but I think I gave up on that idea too.

Maybe a lubricant...even water...to help it spin better. I didn't try that, but that might help.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, I think maybe I didn't have valve connected when I did that connection...and slightly turned ccv one way and the hose the other.

I know I did pull it out to practice the connection a few times. I don't think you can just muscle it on straight.

Have fun...hth!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
N95

My Ride: 330i
That return hose twists onto the separator. Position the hose, under the manifold, at about 90-degrees counter-clockwise to the installed position. push the hose-end over the separator and then rotate the hose clockwise to lock it in place, and bring it up the the manifold connection. I test connected it first b4 intallation to see how it will fit..hope this helps

N95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Hector45

My Ride: 2002 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Lube the ends off the separator and inside of the hose with fresh oil and have fun. That is the part where you WILL cut yourself up lovely
+1 My hands were nice and chewed up after this part
Good Luck OP keep at it, you will get it on eventually, took me a good hour and a half of cursing, drinking, cursing, and more drinking

Last edited by Hector45; 02-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Hector45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
onebad328i

My Ride: BMW 328i
im on to do this, its my turn now, will see how it gos, i already started drinking, so im way ahead of the game.... hickup....
onebad328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Yeah, make sure the valve is either not bolted in, or loosely bolted before you try to connect that hose. I did it with the cold weather shield and it can be done, just take your time, and if after awhile it won't go on, step away from the car, catch your breath, punch something other than your car, calm down and go back at it. You'll get it. Watching the bav auto video on youtube will really help you out.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
We're talking about part labeled 3 in the attached picture, right?

If so, I mounted the CCV itself so it was stable and proceeded to simply push the hose on until it clicked.

I had tried the whole spinning it around bit and didn't really get anywhere with it.

It's been about a year and a half since and it's been perfectly fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccv.png
Views:	79
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	475479  
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Minnetonka

My Ride: 03 330CI
I just remember it was a major PIA. Just keep trying..
Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalazsi View Post
We're talking about part labeled 3 in the attached picture, right?

If so, I mounted the CCV itself so it was stable and proceeded to simply push the hose on until it clicked.

I had tried the whole spinning it around bit and didn't really get anywhere with it.

It's been about a year and a half since and it's been perfectly fine.
I am not sure this will work, it's a push in and twist 90 degree type of connection, not a simple push and click connection. You should double check that.. ha.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Wh33lhop

My Ride: douchemobile
After peering at it to make sure I had the orientation right and it slipped on, I used a small flathead to press down on the near side of the connector while I pulled up with my hand (snaked in behind the hose) on the far side to twist it. Was a bit of a bitch but it wasn't too bad. I think I only got it to 45 degrees or so but it was enough to lock it on:

Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I am not sure this will work, it's a push in and twist 90 degree type of connection, not a simple push and click connection. You should double check that.. ha.
Yes, I know that; but I also looked at it outside of the car and confirmed that if you already had them oriented in the turned position and simply pushed them together with some force, it would click and they would be connected properly. As I stated though, it's been over 1 1/2 years and I've had no issues at all.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
onebad328i

yeah i started to have the common leak codes set off my CEL, the line from the secondary air pump to the back of the engine was in pieces, then i checked the vacumes behind the engine and they had holes everywhere, replace those too, then the most common ccv bottom hose to oil deepstick tube was completely in two pieces i replace that bottom hose by itself since i really couldnt see anything in their, and from the outside they looked ok, yeah right, thats the common problem they look ok, but if you take them apart you can see that they are cracked or have small holes in the bottom , of course i forgot to mention that i replace also both intake elbows, those had more holes and craks than the moon, lol , so im waiting for the new ccv and complete hose set, should be in by wednesday, than im gonna tackle this puppy, i can wait to drive th car because i know she will ride so smooth after finding out the ccv was so f@cked up and the connections, i got the BAV auto code reader so i will clear the CEL and pray to the VACUME GODS that this is the end of my vacume knightmare, plzzzzzzzzz let me b done with it, i just wanna drive without having to look at that damn CEL..... thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it,
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
onebad328i

CCVV cran case vent valve

Well the VACUME GODS did not answer my prayers, i replace the ccvv with all the hoses, and triple checked all connections, but im stil getting code 8d or obd2 1477, reed switch did not open, i did reset the light after swapping the ccvv, and all its hoses, but the light came back after 3 cycles, somebody told me to go ahead and change the fuel breather valve, i looked at it the lines looked good, but i dont know about the valve itself it will probably be my last swap part before i take it to a professional, unless you guys have any more clues, any info will be greatly appreciated.... onebad328i out.