E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Idling rough could be coolant into the combustion chamber. What test did he run to confirm the head gasket?

M54's have an ugly tendency to pull the threads out of the block. ALWAYS check to make sure the head bolts retorque before removal of the head..... If not you will have to Timseret the head with a special jig

I would Timesert all the head bolt threads. The threads in the aluminum blocks are too damn weak to risk not installing inserts. Don't risk a 2nd head gasket job to save a couple hundred bucks.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
oswaldoquiroga

My Ride: 74 Karmann Ghia
Did you get it fixed?

No new posts yet. I am checking my friend's 330i. It overheated and they ran it a little ways overheated. Some of the problems with overheating can be caused (if thermostat is opening, waterpump is moving coolant, radiator not clogged and there is no debris between condensor and radiator) by a bad fan clutch or bad electric cooling fans. One good indication of overheating besides looking at your gauge is that your air conditioning will stop cooling.

My friend's engine is bad. On cold starts, if you removed the radiator cap, it would start bubbling and spitting coolant out in spite that the vehicle is cold. One of the comments read about checking compression and if the head is warped, then this will be reflected on compression. This is not always the case as I have tested many overheated engines and i have encountered overheated engines with still good compression.

The best way to check your engine would be with a cylinder leak tightness test. This is done with a cylinder leakage tester. Pull out the plugs and when the piston is at TDC in the compression stroke have the tool installed and with compressed air, check the difference. If you put 100psi into the cylinder and the second gauge is reading 60psi, then you have 60% leaktightness and you are leaking 40%. Then it is a matter of listening for air. If you hear air comming out of the exhaust, you have compression leaking thru exhaust valves. If you feel and hear air thru the intake, then you are leaking compression thru the intake valves. If you feel and hear air thru the dip stick or from the oil cap, then you are leaking thru the piston rings. And last, if you see bubbles in the cooling system, then you are leaking either thru a warped cylinder head or, least likely, cracked cylinder head.

My friend's E46's head is warped 0.004in and block is warped 0.006in. Repair is possible and will be a lot of work and money for machining, and not only that but you have to be able to trust your machine shop to resurface the head and block correctly. If they do this right, then all you need is to purchase a repair gasket to compensate for the amount of resufacing. Used engines on ebay are around 3k and who knows how well maintained the engine is.
oswaldoquiroga is offline   Reply With Quote