E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #41
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,302
My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
That's correct but success really is blood, sweat, and tears no matter which way you slice the cake.

I lost family and friends over this ****.
I'm not sure you're doing it right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
here today, gone tomm

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #42
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I'm not sure you're doing it right.
Yes and no, I didn't take out $ loans - debatable subject
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #43
USCTrojanMan29
Registered User
 
USCTrojanMan29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,310
My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
I work for a corporation where I have a equity and have my own business...so what does that make me???
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #44
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I work for a corporation where I have a equity and have my own business...so what does that make me???
smart and tolerable
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #45
Rif Raf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: utah
Posts: 332
My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
I worked for a large AE firm for 10 years, but took a layoff when my project ended. I could have relocated to continue, but didn't like the locations available. So I decided to follow the dream of owning my own biz. I'm struggling my ass off and working harder than I have in a long time. But, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Seriously considering selling my bimmer to make ends meet, but if that's what it takes to be independent, so be it.

I read something, somewhere that said when you work for someone else you can basically calculate out how much you'll make in your lifetime ..just do the math... But when owning your own business your potential is unlimited, I like that thought.
__________________
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #46
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
I worked for a large AE firm for 10 years, but took a layoff when my project ended. I could have relocated to continue, but didn't like the locations available. So I decided to follow the dream of owning my own biz. I'm struggling my ass off and working harder than I have in a long time. But, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Seriously considering selling my bimmer to make ends meet, but if that's what it takes to be independent, so be it.

I read something, somewhere that said when you work for someone else you can basically calculate out how much you'll make in your lifetime ..just do the math... But when owning your own business your potential is unlimited, I like that thought.
Depending on the field, you CAN risk other peoples money, pass of the work to others, etc.

however I am more skill-trade, so I'm the only one who gives two shits to get it built right and quick - the first time (at a competitive rate of course).
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #47
Rif Raf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: utah
Posts: 332
My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Depending on the field, you CAN risk other peoples money, pass of the work to others, etc.

however I am more skill-trade, so I'm the only one who gives two shits to get it built right and quick - the first time (at a competitive rate of course).
I'm currently supplementing manpower on a crew that doesn't appear to understand that, they have had to do more rework than I have ever seen..Its driving me bat sh!t crazy, and costing me money in lost productivity. But its a start.
__________________
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #48
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
I'm currently supplementing manpower on a crew that doesn't appear to understand that, they have had to do more rework than I have ever seen..Its driving me bat sh!t crazy, and costing me money in lost productivity. But its a start.
That's why I'm moving back into "retail" type sales - less stress

Sucks when you need half a million to get started in anything worth while though
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #49
Rif Raf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: utah
Posts: 332
My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
That's why I'm moving back into "retail" type sales - less stress

Sucks when you need half a million to get started in anything worth while though
For some damb reason I'm more motivated when I'm stressed, I sleep less, but I'm freakin motivated to hell.
__________________
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #50
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown
Posts: 320
My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOoff11 View Post
That sounds awesome! I'd love to do something like that. Is it a hard business to get into?
The easiest way is to have some automotive body repair experience. If you can work in a body shop as an estimator for a few years, you can get your foot in the door.

I spent years as a fat bastard blowing glass in body shops and backyards all over the state, so the travel part ain't no thing. I know this place like the back of my hand. My connections in the industry also make it easier.

It's not a dream job, but it beats the sh*t out of sitting at a desk all day, waiting for the next ass-kissing session to begin.
__________________

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #51
SHOoff11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 260
My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_is_Like View Post
not for nothing, and no disrespect to your line of work, but when did being an appraiser become a dream job. my friend does it and its not all glitz and glamour. a lot of paper work, and the traveling is driving long distance in your own vehicle during the day. i don't know about you, but i'd hate to be in traffic all damn day.
I'd do this before a desk job. I like to be out and about, not cooped up in an office. It's not my dream job, but it would be something I'd find interesting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR
You drive a BMW. That means you make $600,000 a year and date supermodels without pointy elbows or hairy arms. Need I say more?

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black


1995 Silver Frost/Gray Taurus SHO (sold)

1999 BMW 328i Sedan Alpine White/Sand (sold)
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #52
Lusticles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 2,804
My Ride: 325Ci
I'm not sure if I'd ever want to own my own business. Every person I know who owns their own small business doesn't really live. They can't "go home" at the end of the day. They arrive at their respective residences and still continue to work, worry, or think about their business.

My current boss describes going home as overtime. Joking obviously but he never gets away from it like people do when they're working for somebody else.
__________________
number one Audi Fan
Lusticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #53
flashmeow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,220
My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13// View Post
do you even lift?
This.

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #54
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,142
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353245817893.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	478548

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
__________________

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #55
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown
Posts: 320
My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
I'm not sure if I'd ever want to own my own business. Every person I know who owns their own small business doesn't really live. They can't "go home" at the end of the day. They arrive at their respective residences and still continue to work, worry, or think about their business.

My current boss describes going home as overtime. Joking obviously but he never gets away from it like people do when they're working for somebody else.
Some people are born to follow.
__________________

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use