E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #61
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
Damn. Got the money, want the unit for my 02 Xi but without HD I can't see spending this much on a new radio.

Man, Sirius can be added, HD can't.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #62
azchz

My Ride: Mercedes
hello
my Dynavin MC 2000 V5 is release ZH 2011-03-09
there is there a more recent update?? ZH 2011-14-11 ?
azchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #63
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Hi Jeff

When will the E83 move to this platform?

Cheers
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #64
Spaniardstud

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Dynavin "D99 PLUS"

Dynavin has made some running changes to their D99 platform Audio/Video/Navigation Systems, some of you who are particularly perceptive may have already noticed. Although most of the changes are subtle, they make for a more refined, easier to set up unit and that makes for happier users! (and less work for me) This new updated model is known as the D99 PLUS (D99+). As always, they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the BMW E46, E39, E53, E9X, E8X and an assortment of Audi, VW, and Mercedes models.

Details can be found on Dynavin's website, http://www.dynavin.com

Although they have been shipping for months in certain models the roll out has been somewhat slow. Dynavin has not been making much noise about it, probably because up until recently it didn't cover all models, I expect they will be promoting these soon. THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE FOR OLDER D99 UNITS, it is a mostly similar but in many ways new unit (think iphone4 to iphone4S). If you bought a D99 in the last couple months you probably already have one of these and didnt realize it!

....and the best part? The price went DOWN....

Its time to open a discussion about these units as they are different enough to warrant their own thread and Q&A. As always lets try to keep this a Q&A, try to keep the thread informative, factual, and useful. Keep the speculation and opinions out of it.

Im just going to go over the changes here....for a more complete look at the Dynavin D99 units, check out the D99 thread here:
Dynavin D99 thread:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895068

For yet more info, installation hints, and maybe a little history, check out these previous Dynavin threads:*
Dynavin D95 thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753

So you ask, what is the "+" in D99 PLUS?

CD/DVD/USB/SD Screens Cosmetics

The CD/DVD/USB/SD screens now share the same basic cosmetic theme as the rest of the unit, black backgrounds, white letters, red or orange colorings. Previous offerings have always had a few different cosmetic looks depending on the source but now everything pretty much looks similar.

Reverse Functions

With the D99+ the reverse, backup camera, PDC (oem parking sensors), and their related audio settings are all configurable, you can even do a combination of features, like having the PDC graphic overlay the backup camera screen. While in reverse mode you can have the audio mute or only reduce its volume, you can also have the PDC beep (on vehicles where PDC is built into the stock audio system). Note the added settings (in the "hidden" factory settings menu). If you have none of these you can also just turn it all off.

Here is a short video showing some various setups you can have when the car is in reverse, first a backup camera, then PDC alone, then Camera AND PDC.

Password Theft Deterrence

Now the usefulness of this might be debatable, or maybe Im missing something.... I dont think Ive ever heard of a Dynaivn theft, and a password lock isnt going to keep it from being stolen, but it will keep someone from using it. In the WinCE units this doesnt really matter but I suppose in the android versions it would keep a thief out of your android apps that might have sensitive info. The password lock is not something you use every time, it comes into play when power is removed from the unit, once power is restored to the unit it will require a password.

Improved Bluetooth Phone Integration:

Dynavin is still using the Parrot bluetooth system but has changed a few things.
Minor feature but your paired phone's signal strength and charge level now display at the top of the screen on the audio screens, (or at least it does with the phones Ive tried). Bluetooth streaming audio quality is now almost indistinguishable from being plugged in (although the D99 was pretty good too).

AND NOW A BIG ONE, those of you who have been following dynavin for a long time know that there has ALWAYS been an issue with using streaming bluetooth and the nav system at the same time, there were workarounds but basically you needed to plug in to use your phone for music when also using the nav. NO MORE! Finally you can stream your audio from your phone AND use the nav system at the same time.

New Touchscreen

Small change here, only a change in the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Looks exactly the same.

Etc...
Plus a bunch of small changes in the name of refinement and stability. None of this is some huge game changer of a feature, but it combines to make the units easier to integrate into a given vehicle, and ties up a lot of loose ends for a more satisfying user experience.

Ill be adding more pics and info to this post as it comes up.
are these pics from a android unit or win ce
Spaniardstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #65
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by azchz View Post
hello
my Dynavin MC 2000 V5 is release ZH 2011-03-09
there is there a more recent update?? ZH 2011-14-11 ?
No, I think that was the last V5 (D90) firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Hi Jeff

When will the E83 move to this platform?

Cheers
Dont know but thats an interesting idea.....they could do it like the E8X unit for the 1 series with the unit split between the lower and upper units.....ill inquire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniardstud View Post
are these pics from a android unit or win ce
Both, all of these pics are the radio side of the unit, which is the same whether it is android or not. The android part remains the same as it was on the earlier units.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 11-20-2012 at 02:24 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #66
klinwart

My Ride: Audi TT mk2 coupe
Can the D99+ play avi or divx files?
klinwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #67
Spaniardstud

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Jeff can you provide a pic of the Nav side of a none android
Spaniardstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #68
beasted86

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
Damn. Got the money, want the unit for my 02 Xi but without HD I can't see spending this much on a new radio.

Man, Sirius can be added, HD can't.
What do you mean it can be added? I thought it could not be integrated into Dynavin, only via AUX in from a standalone Sirius tuner or a smartphone SiriusXM app.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #69
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Does anyone use the D99+ to play your tunes from Google Music? Very interested in the details of this.

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #70
ccc

My Ride: BMW 320D '02
On my device Android stopped working. When I pressed the button"NAVI" the screen displays "DINAVIN" and nothing happens
Any ideas?
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #71
BeemerHolland

My Ride: BMW 320 IA E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
On my device Android stopped working. When I pressed the button"NAVI" the screen displays "DINAVIN" and nothing happens
Any ideas?
Try again, if it is not working you need to flash your ROM again
BeemerHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #72
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
so how's the reliability of this version? any random bugs and crashes on the windows ce version?
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #73
jknutter

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Got my WINCE D99+ and back-up camera installed today, thanks Jeff for the quick shipping. I have a question about an issue I ran into with my phone. I'm using a Motorola Electrify Android phone. It pared easily, phone can make and receive calls and the strength and battery levels are displayed. My problem is my phonebook is not showing up on the D99+. I believe the phone has the correct settings as it works well on the Kenwood unit in my Jeep. Is there something I'm overlooking? Oh one more thing the system clock is in Military time format, can this be changed? Otherwise I'm extremely satisfied! Major improvement on sound quality and I can use my iPod again.
jknutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #74
jknutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post
Does anyone use the D99+ to play your tunes from Google Music? Very interested in the details of this.
I have the windows version and can play Pandora from my Andriod phone perfectly. I don't use google music but I was thinking about trying it. I'll let you know how it works shortly.

Last edited by jknutter; 12-03-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #75
halo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknutter View Post
I have the windows version and can play Pandora from my Andriod phone perfectly. I don't use google music but I was thinking about tring it. I'll let you know how it works shortly.
Can you control skips from the steering wheel? What kind of display do you get on the HU? Track info or art?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #76
jknutter

Google music works as well, both google music and pandora work the same - no display but you can skip and rewind tracks using the steering wheel controls.

It is very possible since I've only had the radio for two days that the lack of the display is a settings issue. Currently while playing either pandora or google music the HU displays the cell keypad. You can navigate away and still hear the music but I have not seen any track info yet. I'll try the PIP setting next.

Last edited by jknutter; 12-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #77
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Got my WINCE D99+ and back-up camera installed today, thanks Jeff for the quick shipping. I have a question about an issue I ran into with my phone. I'm using a Motorola Electrify Android phone. It pared easily, phone can make and receive calls and the strength and battery levels are displayed. My problem is my phonebook is not showing up on the D99+. I believe the phone has the correct settings as it works well on the Kenwood unit in my Jeep. Is there something I'm overlooking? Oh one more thing the system clock is in Military time format, can this be changed? Otherwise I'm extremely satisfied! Major improvement on sound quality and I can use my iPod again.
Dont know what is going on there but every phone is different....just to confirm you are doing it right....go to the bluetooth screen, press the phonebook icon on the bottom of the screen, a keyboard will come up, start to type your contact and the screen should populate with matches.

Quote:
Google music works as well, both google music and pandora work the same - no display but you can skip and rewind tracks using the steering wheel controls.

It is very possible since I've only had the radio for two days that the lack of the display is a settings issue. Currently while playing either pandora or google music the HU displays the cell keypad. You can navigate away and still hear the music but I have not seen any track info yet. I'll try the PIP setting next.
its bluetooth audio streaming, its not going to display art or track info.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #78
jknutter

Thanks for the info. I'll keep playing with it until I figure it out. So far I'm extremely satisfied with the unit. I have the HK system and it sounds so much better now! The rear camera was a pain to install but that's because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to hiding wires. otherwise the rest of it was pretty simple due to the you tube videos.

So far my only suggestion for software upgrades would be to have an option for a 12 hour format clock.

Last edited by jknutter; 12-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #79
J&T Distributing

Great, glad you like it.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #80
halo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
its bluetooth audio streaming, its not going to display art or track info.
The bluetooth streaming audio standard does support metadata. The problem right now is that Google has yet to build in the newest version of the library into Android. Even 4.2 doesn't have it.

Sadly iOS does.

However I'd prefer to bypass my phone altogether and run google music from the HU with my music stored locally on SD, if possible. If I'm just going to do bt streaming I can accomplish that with a $69 HU.

Tags
d99, d99+, dynavin, gps, navigation