E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 140 votes, 4.09 average.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #661
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimlong1 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this so if I do anything I should not than please tell me!! Anyway I have an e46 318ci coupe (year 2000) and the coolant was leaking out of the hose connector on the side of the block. I replaced this with a new part from my BMW dealer and the leak stopped on the block, but I'm still loosing the coolant, I can't see any leaks visually but it's going somewhere , the car is not overheating and is blowing hot air so I don't think it's the head, I'd love some help, it's a 1.9 petrol in case anyone asks, thanks
What is "hose connector on the side of the block" Pics?

Checked oil for any milky contamination?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #662
E46@46

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
Reading your posts for the first time, Mango. Great stuff, great information. Thanks! I've had my '02 330 CiC for a little over ten years now and have decided it's time to do a little maintenance, meanwhile things are getting old and breaking and I don't want (also can't afford) a new one. Picked mine up in Munich and still have the German plate in the front.

Anyway, I just have a few questions for you. Sorry if they sound kind of amateurish but hey, I'm an amateur! Plan on doing as much of the maintenance myself, as possible, and want to get it right. The first time.

*Do you always recommend changing the radiator? Mine shows no signs of staining or weeping. In fact, with just a little effort over the years, my engine compartment looks almost brand new. Amazing.

*What part did you get from Amazon and why?

*Assuming bleeding the system comes at the end, after installing all these parts, do you then refill the radiator, then put the car up on ramps, then bleed? If so, is it okay to run the engine long enough to get it up on ramps? And then should it be cold again before bleeding?

Thanks for all the information you provide on this site,

Steve
My car had 157k miles on the clock and gave no "signs" of needed a new radiator. The temp gauge always stayed in the middle. I found the hidden OBC menu that shows the actual temp (in F) and discovered I was running higher than should be, but not enough to overheat. So I replaced as a PM as Mango and suggest. I could not believe what a difference it made running back at "normal" temp made. You can tell the engine is working better, more power than before especially at freeway speeds. You didn't say how many miles but I would replace along with the other parts recommended in this guide.
p.s. my radiator was not leaking but was caked in dirt. I can only image the internals.
E46@46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #663
Jimlong1

My Ride: 318ci coupe
Hey mate ya it's milky on the cap and traces on the dipstick, I lit the oil to check for water in it an it was fine, mate of mine is a mechanic and he said that that's common enough in the oil, don't have a pic but its a 90 degree pipe coming out of the block behind the oil filter has 3 hoses connected to it,
Jimlong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #664
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Mango, you've done the world well with this guide.

We thank you.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #665
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
You are very welcome. Here to help where I can!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #666
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46@46 View Post
My car had 157k miles on the clock and gave no "signs" of needed a new radiator. The temp gauge always stayed in the middle. I found the hidden OBC menu that shows the actual temp (in F) and discovered I was running higher than should be, but not enough to overheat. So I replaced as a PM as Mango and suggest. I could not believe what a difference it made running back at "normal" temp made. You can tell the engine is working better, more power than before especially at freeway speeds. You didn't say how many miles but I would replace along with the other parts recommended in this guide.
p.s. my radiator was not leaking but was caked in dirt. I can only image the internals.
Yes, sir! My friend's 95 M3 has a date-stamped 2008 radiatior and because the coolant wasn't replaced properly, it had developed massive amounts of deposits that clogged the radiator. We flushed it out as best we could, but still not as good as replacing it. It seems to be working fine.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #667
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
Gentleman I'm having issues trying to remove what appears to be the expansion tank cooling hose.
Any suggestions of how to safely remove these without damaging anything would greatly be appreciated. Also new member here

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	478423  

Last edited by Juliopinto03; 11-16-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Added pic
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #668
Stinger9

First issue is the the clips must be depressed completely which can be a difficult thing to accomplish while pulling on the hose in tight quarters.
Then pulling the hose off can be tough because they can be stuck on badly after years and years. Just gotta pull real hard.
And sometimes you'll break off the plastic hose because they turn brittle.

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-17-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #669
Juliopinto03

Awesome! Thank you so much I didn't see any clips, clearly it's very dirty lol.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #670
Stinger9

Actually I think it's clips. Not sure exactly which location this is from the pic.
Can you clarify?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #671
Juliopinto03

Thats the top view and a general replacement picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11531436410.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	478424   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	478425  

Last edited by Juliopinto03; 11-17-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #672
Juliopinto03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Actually I think it's clips. Not sure exactly which location this is from the pic.
Can you clarify?

Here is a wider view of the hoses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	478426   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	478427  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #673
Stinger9

Yeah, I get it now. Those rubber hoses are attached to the plastic pipes under the intake manifold. Nasty place to work on them. I believer the connectors here are the squeeze type that must be depressed all the way to remove. In BMW's infinite wisdom they have made them very easy to assemble but hard to remove without breaking things. The two squeeze tabs must be pushed in all the way before they release. And even then the hoses pull off hard after they age.
The big danger is you'll break the plastic pipe which will then necessitate removal of the intake manifold. That removal job has been described as one of the most hated tasks even by experienced e46 DIY'ers.

If indeed these are the squeeze tab types, best to try to get small needle nose pliers in there to break off the squeeze tab ring around the perimeter so they will not be holding the hose onto the plastic. You're not going to reuse the rubber hoses anyway. Then you'll be free to just wrestle off the hose. Your main goal is to preserve the plastic hose if at all possible.

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #674
Juliopinto03

Yea your absolutely right! I got the one off near the intake manifold and working on the bottom one by the expansion tank. Once I cleaned it up a bit, I observed the pins and unlocked them. Thank you so much for your assistance.

After having this car since 2005, I never really worked on it until now. Having a blast believe it or not with the DIY. Your info is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #675
Juliopinto03

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353184889.881108.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	478468  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #676
Juliopinto03

Quote:
Yeah, I get it now. Those rubber hoses are attached to the plastic pipes under the intake manifold. Nasty place to work on them. I believer the connectors here are the squeeze type that must be depressed all the way to remove. In BMW's infinite wisdom they have made them very easy to assemble but hard to remove without breaking things. The two squeeze tabs must be pushed in all the way before they release. And even then the hoses pull off hard after they age.
The big danger is you'll break the plastic pipe which will then necessitate removal of the intake manifold. That removal job has been described as one of the most hated tasks even by experienced e46 DIY'ers.

If indeed these are the squeeze tab types, best to try to get small needle nose pliers in there to break off the squeeze tab ring around the perimeter so they will not be holding the hose onto the plastic. You're not going to reuse the rubber hoses anyway. Then you'll be free to just wrestle off the hose. Your main goal is to preserve the plastic hose if at all possible.
Replaced the hose, went to the dealer to get it and I installed it just like you said. If you look at the photo, does it appear that the expansion tank is relatively close to the belt? Is my radiator out of place?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	478583  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #677
Stinger9

I don't have a photo memory of my car, but now that you mention it, the ET is pretty close to your PS pulley.
And it is possible that a rad can be installed incorrectly as it must slide into clips as it is lowered into place. If left out of these clips on this side, it could be possible to be mounted too far rearward.

Without reviewing your history, if you're close to doing a cooling system refresh, I'd sure be wanting to make sure that rad in mounted exactly as it should be.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #678
Juliopinto03

Quote:
I don't have a photo memory of my car, but now that you mention it, the ET is pretty close to your PS pulley.
And it is possible that a rad can be installed incorrectly as it must slide into clips as it is lowered into place. If left out of these clips on this side, it could be possible to be mounted too far rearward.

Without reviewing your history, if you're close to doing a cooling system refresh, I'd sure be wanting to make sure that rad in mounted exactly as it should be.
It was! The radiator was not placed correctly and it seemed as if it was off track. I adjusted everything and now it sits correctly and the ET has approximately one inch place from the PS pulley.

I think im going to have to replace the upper hose as well since I was about to bleed the system and I have a minor leak there near the fan clucth. Its only upon pressure so Im assuming theres a gasket or o ring there and maybe it feel off. Going to wait for the vehicle to cool down and check it out or replace it but at least its not anything else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	478599  
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #679
Stinger9

Easy to get the hoses on wrong if you don't lube them. O-ring gets twisted and you're cooked. I love my silicone O-ring lube.
While you are at it, try to get a brass bleeder screw to make your life more foolproof.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #680
Juliopinto03

All done!

My old hose was missing the o ring so I just decided to swap the entire upper radiator hose since the other hoses have been replaced as well. Now to bleed the system.

Looked around and it appears simple:

Top coolant off
Car on
91 degrees fan low
Adjust Bleed screw
White bumbles = steam
Radiator fluid = ready

Sounds about right gentleman ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353294007.806922.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	478629   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353294018.090654.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	478630  

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump