E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #3321
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,836
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
That's just texts

Green

iMessage is down
Mine isn't!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #3322
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,836
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Just sent this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353287214.809454.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	478612
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #3323
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWh0r3 View Post
I don't use iCloud or that Facebook sync crap. Have all notifications off except phone and text messaging. Screen brightness is turned down. iOS 6 is just a power hog. Just found out that lte is available in my area though. Maybe i should upgrade from my lowly 4 to the 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I disagree about its power consumption, but I may just have a stellar example of awesome battery life (..or it could be that the difference in performance is attributed to me having a 5 rather than a 4). I'm currently at 1 day, 5 hours.
iOS 6 treats the 4 and 4S much differently than the 5 (in some cases at least). The phone will be warm to the touch, and lose battery at over 10% per hour, while not in use.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...in-using-ios-6
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #3324
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3
 
_.dstrukt.n1ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 1,093
My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
It's $5/month for 200 message on Verizon. Poor deal imo unless you have no friends.

With all the free alternatives out there (kakao, whatsapp, Google Voice, etc.) I don't see the point in paying your carrier for something that should be free.

And iMessage is EXCELLENT when it works. I love to be able to switch from my computer and my phone, and have everything sync up. Also, free MMS and videos is excellent.

Really, carrier messaging is a dated concept. $0.20 per message means almost $0.20 profit for the carrier for doing nearly nothing.

When it works? iMessage works 99% of the time.

And text messaging is pure profit for carriers. It uses the same amount of bandwidth that's needed to initiate a call; that's why text messages are limited to 160 characters.
__________________


Oregon, USA






2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #3325
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
When it works? iMessage works 99% of the time.

And text messaging is pure profit for carriers. It uses the same amount of bandwidth that's needed to initiate a call; that's why text messages are limited to 160 characters.
uh, and today is that 1% of the time it isn't. Not sure what your point is: you seem to be agreeing with me on everything, but saying it like you are not.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #3326
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
http://www.zdnet.com/imessage-down-f...rs-7000007556/
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #3327
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3
 
_.dstrukt.n1ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1, California
Posts: 1,093
My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
uh, and today is that 1% of the time it isn't. Not sure what your point is: you seem to be agreeing with me on everything, but saying it like you are not.

You were making it sounds like iMessage goes down OFTEN. And I was merely explaining further the charges of SMS to you and others. It's not almost profit; it's pure.
__________________


Oregon, USA






2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #3328
alphawhiskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tango
Posts: 18
My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
You were making it sounds like iMessage goes down OFTEN. And I was merely explaining further the charges of SMS to you and others. It's not almost profit; it's pure.
lol. dont even kno what to say...
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #3329
Junaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 110
My Ride: .
My battery sucks donkey dick with ios 6. With 6 hours of usage my battery is dead.
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #3330
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,836
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
iOS 6 treats the 4 and 4S much differently than the 5 (in some cases at least). The phone will be warm to the touch, and lose battery at over 10% per hour, while not in use.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...in-using-ios-6
My gf has a 4S running iOS6 and she goes all day without a charge as well.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #3331
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
I've had my "not in use" old 4 sitting on my desk for about a week. It's down to 65%. Hardly 10% an hour.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #3332
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
My gf has a 4S running iOS6 and she goes all day without a charge as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I've had my "not in use" old 4 sitting on my desk for about a week. It's down to 65%. Hardly 10% an hour.
Awesome, you weren't one of the unlucky ones then

A couple of my friends went back to 5.1.1 until a fix comes out. Battery life took a nosedive on 6, and the only "fix" now is pretty annoying: Turn off 3g data, then restart. When you need data again, turn 3g back on, check mail or w/e, then turn 3g back off, and restart again. That keeps it from draining while it's in your pocket somehow.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #3333
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Awesome, you weren't one of the unlucky ones then

A couple of my friends went back to 5.1.1 until a fix comes out. Battery life took a nosedive on 6, and the only "fix" now is pretty annoying: Turn off 3g data, then restart. When you need data again, turn 3g back on, check mail or w/e, then turn 3g back off, and restart again. That keeps it from draining while it's in your pocket somehow.
It's not just the phones I think. Had an iPad 3 with great battery life and this iPad 4 with 6.0.1 or whatever has worse battery life, even with wifi off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #3334
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
It's not just the phones I think. Had an iPad 3 with great battery life and this iPad 4 with 6.0.1 or whatever has worse battery life, even with wifi off.
That could definitely be the processor. But in this case you're talking about the problem happening on the newest device.

Others are mainly talking about the older devices having the battery life gets worse.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #3335
Five_seveN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,547
My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
They're talking about what iOS 6 does to battery life, as am I
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining any set of responses that ends with anyone expressing admiration for Marshmallow.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #3336
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
boostedisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
fixed.
__________________
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #3337
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,392
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
It's not just the phones I think. Had an iPad 3 with great battery life and this iPad 4 with 6.0.1 or whatever has worse battery life, even with wifi off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
They're talking about what iOS 6 does to battery life, as am I
K but that's not what your post said or at the very least implied.
__________________


"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #3338
Ackord02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 34
My Ride: is slow
Send a message via MSN to Ackord02 Send a message via Skype™ to Ackord02
I want this









__________________
e46.
Ackord02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #3339
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,836
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackord02 View Post
I want this











That's pretty damn legit...........for a bumper!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #3340
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Well my Desmay case broke, more like one of the corners kind of peeled back kind of like a hangnail. No idea how it happened, but the otter box is back on and I ordered a cheap $5 skin from eBay.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use