E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
thisisnotdave

My Ride: 2002 300ci vert
Help picking a sub

Hello all,

I've been in the process of upgrade the sound system in my 330ci cabrio. So far I've replaced all the speakers with the BSW stage 1 kit and am pretty satisfied.

Next up is the Sub. I've looked at the following options.

BSW Stealth Sub

Kicker Solo Barric 8" using this enclosure

http://fgseonline.com/shop/bmw-coupe...sub-enclosure/

Or a 12" down firing sealed box with a 300 watt JL12"

I'm looking for something clean, punchy and very tight.

The Solo Barric is probably the most punchy, but its only 8". Will that be enough for thick low reaching bass? Or will the sealer 12" deliver a deeper sound since its significantly larger? The downside of course is that I'll lose a good chunk of trunk space, which I would like to avoid.

Finally, can anyone say anything good about the BSW kit? Is it worth the $700? It only comes with a 230 watt amp, so its gotta be the least punch of the three right?

Can anyone share some insight on this?

Thanks!
thisisnotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'll sell you a pair of 12" solo-barics if you're interested.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
thisisnotdave

Nah, they're too big. I'm looking at the 8" since it'll fit in the ski hole with that enclosure.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

I figured as much. They are definitely big. I know the s/b's are great speakers, but I'm not sure I'd ever go with a single 8 inch sub. I just don't think any single 8 has packed enough punch for my tastes from a subwoofer.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
thisisnotdave

So you think a 12" JL would be a better choice? I'd really hate to give up any more trunk space though, its super tight at is.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
NOVAbimmer

Yeah, you might be alright with that. Honestly it's been a long time since I messed with any car audio stuff.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
thisisnotdave

Thanks, this car has been a real PITA to figure out.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
BRccKLYN

My Ride: Topaz 01 330ci
Best 8" is a Sundown sa8 v2. Those suckas hit soo hard.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353261361939.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	478579  
BRccKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
thisisnotdave

The enclosure that I found only fits the Solo Baric since its square.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Shooters04M3

My Ride: 04 BMW M3
Can't go wrong with the sweet onion chicken teriyaki sub from subway
Shooters04M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotdave View Post
Hello all,

I've been in the process of upgrade the sound system in my 330ci cabrio. So far I've replaced all the speakers with the BSW stage 1 kit and am pretty satisfied.

Next up is the Sub. I've looked at the following options.

BSW Stealth Sub

Kicker Solo Barric 8" using this enclosure

http://fgseonline.com/shop/bmw-coupe...sub-enclosure/

Or a 12" down firing sealed box with a 300 watt JL12"

I'm looking for something clean, punchy and very tight.

The Solo Barric is probably the most punchy, but its only 8". Will that be enough for thick low reaching bass? Or will the sealer 12" deliver a deeper sound since its significantly larger? The downside of course is that I'll lose a good chunk of trunk space, which I would like to avoid.

Finally, can anyone say anything good about the BSW kit? Is it worth the $700? It only comes with a 230 watt amp, so its gotta be the least punch of the three right?

Can anyone share some insight on this?

Thanks!
I don't know much about the equipment you are considering, but I can relay my recent experience. I just recently added a sub to my 325ci coupe. It sounds like we had similar goals - clean, tight bass that complements and doesn't overwhelm the music while limiting loss of storage space.

My local installer recommended this ExCelon sub:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...rs/KFC-XW1000F

We installed it in the coupe version of this enclosure:

http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

I'm driving it with 350W RMS from the fifth channel of a Kenwood Excelon 5CH AMP mounted neatly and hidden in the factory amp location.

It pounds if I want it to but mostly I set it for clean tight complementary bass. I still have most of my trunk space too. Could not be happier with it. With an amp it should come out around the same as the BSW setup, but I'm sure this offers more and takes up less space.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
I have 2 "12 inch L7 solos" in my car.

I set it up a little different because I need my trunk. check it out.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...434&highlight=
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
RJDaly28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
I have 2 "12 inch L7 solos" in my car.

I set it up a little different because I need my trunk. check it out.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...434&highlight=
That's a pretty nice setup if you want it to really hit HARD and still have some storage space. The amp mounting is really cool too, but the OP would have to do something else with that since his car is a 'vert.

(I bet that absolutely pounds. )

Last edited by RJDaly28; 11-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.
RJDaly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDaly28 View Post
That's a pretty nice setup if you want it to really hit HARD and still have some storage space. The amp mounting is really cool too, but the OP would have to do something else with that since his car is a 'vert.

(I bet that absolutely pounds. )
Pounds hard. The point I was trying to make is you can really get a lot in the truck if you can get creative enough. Although I also do not know what the trunk in a very looks like.
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
RJDaly28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
Pounds hard. The point I was trying to make is you can really get a lot in the truck if you can get creative enough. Although I also do not know what the trunk in a very looks like.
Oh yeah, you can, and you have! Very cool setup. I love the lighted BMW panels. that looks really cool. Tough part with a 'vert is that the deck has an adjustable compartment to give you more space with the top up, but you need to lower that if you want to put the top down. So, you wouldn't be able to fit the amps the same way you have since that part needs to stay dynamic if you want your top to work.

The OP could probably keep a little more space available with one of the newer digital class D 5 channel amps to run the whole thing - like one of the newer tiny Fosgates or the exCelon 5-ch I'm using since it will fit (with a little work) into the factory location. I haven't tried the Fosgates, but the Kenwood D-class 5 channel is awesome.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
bimmer22

My Ride: 330Cic
To the OP:

I just installed the BSW sub and amp in my 2006 330Cic. Several nice things about this package.

- The BSW Bass Speaker has lots of punch. So much it will "reveal" loose parts in your car......With the top down, I get a lot of "nasty" looks. Only once did a person roll their windows down to listen. With the top up, nobody can tell the source of the Bass......
- The BSW AMP allows for ample "tuning". I have mine at only 1/3 of Max Gain. (all three potentiometers). The Bass setting on my radio is set to the lowest setting. This allows for the most dynamic adjustment of the Bass for different music genre and media (CD versus Radio versus Line-in).
- The BSW AMP is small. Small enough to "hide" behind the right rear arm rest panel - easy access and there is room behind the armrest mount for your amp. (btw, the BMW radio amp is mounted behind the left rear arm rest panel. (see install instructions at BSW). The signal lines can run from the left to right with the wire loom already running left-to-right under the edge of the rear carpet. The take-away -> no additional room was taken up with this install - anywhere that's visible or readily accessible.

The goal was clean Bass, quick install (4 bolts for sub enclosure install), hidden installed components (being a 'vert, I need all of the trunk space I can get. This system is worth it........

I've still got a few sources of "loose" parts that I've got to attend to....in areas that have never been accessed since I've owned the car.....So, until I address those problem areas, I've turned the Amp down to 1/4 of Max Gain. With the windows and top up, this plenty of Bass.

If you plan to do the Bass Speakers, I'd recommend that you do all of your speakers from BSW. Yes, they too are worth the $$$, but for other reasons.
bimmer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
KILL3RD1SAST3R

My Ride: Leah
A Digital Design sub will blow anything outta the water...thats all me and my friends have ever used. It will definitely give you tight and punchy bass. I have a newly reconed DD 2512 for sale if you're interested.
KILL3RD1SAST3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
BRccKLYN

My Ride: Topaz 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILL3RD1SAST3R View Post
A Digital Design sub will blow anything outta the water...thats all me and my friends have ever used. It will definitely give you tight and punchy bass. I have a newly reconed DD 2512 for sale if you're interested.
DD's are definitely the best subs but they are expensive. So worth the money unlike that JL crap
BRccKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote