The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Rate Thread||Display Modes|
|11-19-2012, 12:01 AM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 Vert'
New M3 Owner (Odd Highway characteristics and tire wear)
From the south, grew up in trucks my ENTIRE life. Recently graduated with a masters in Aeronautical Engineering. Moved up to Seattle, WA. to work at Boeing. Since I live in Seattle, my 7.3l F350 10" lift CC LB was proving to be difficult to maneuver in the tight confines of roads built for Smart cars. I recently Bought a 2002 M3 Carbon Black M3 Vert W/ 76k miles in October 2012. Sorry for the long intro.
To the problems:
I got a screaming deal for this car, and had a PPI and CarFax done. The PPI reveled the following:
-CPV (I can do myself)
-Guibo (I can do myself)
-Wheel Bearing (Completed)
-Rear shocks are failing
-Front Tires have EXCESSIVE wear on the outside
-Rear Tires have EXCESSIVE wear on the inside
Has 19"x8.5 in front, 19"x9.5 in back, unsure of offset (BBS-LM's)
Here's the specifics:
- Car hasn't been aligned since the last owner put on the 19" rims.
- At highway speeds 60-70 MPH, the steering wheel shakes and has a slight but noticeable vibration throughout the car.
- Tire's have odd wear
- The rear tires have a pinky gap and have 1/4"-1/2" gap
- The front tires have a 1" - 1-1/2" gap.
- The car will occasionally "Grab" the road and veer off to the left (sometimes right) at highway speeds (not a substantial pull, but enough to wake me up and screaming "F*CK!" - "OK, were good."
- There is a high pitched noise coming from somewhere on the car, I cannot pin-point it, but I know for sure it's not another wheel-bearing.
So the questions:
- What are some definitive conclusions based off of my symptoms?
- Could the Rear Springs be broken/sagging?
- What to do about the random road grabbing?
Sorry for the long post, just trying to narrow my focus of attention, don't have much time during the work-week, so would like to fish out the non-sense and help pin-point the problems, so I can get it taken care of.
I am very mechanically inclined. The car did not come with the manual, so if you could provide measurements, or let me know what it is so I can search and find it.
TL;DR: Are my rear springs shot, look at the pictures. Skim the problem section and try to provide some knowledge about existing problems that I am unaware of.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|