E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #61
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
We have done some of that. Jason reported that taking off the HPF intake and replacing it with a 4" setup netted him over 50 hp!
Would that have more to do with exceeding 125m/sec with a 3" inlet pipe, than the manifold/plenum itself?

Obviously running large pre-manifold pipe will affect transient response...so it's a trade off with response versus peak power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
We have both measured ex back pressure at the turbo. It is not all that ridiculously high actually but that does not tell us the entire story in a log manifold as because the turbo sits near the rear and the first 5 runners all merge together, there may be high BP at the front cylinders.
Really good point, and pretty hard to measure without high speed sensors that would catch the dynamic response. I've looked into this from a response perspective, and the only sensors fast enough to measure this cost $1100-$1300 each depending on the range. Then you have to be able sample higher than Nyquist frequency...which is well above what most motorsport data loggers are capable off. Basically...you're into lab-grade equipment to watch this properly in real-time.....

Total cost including the logger, analysis software, and sensors would be about $11-12k. Pretty hard to build that cost into a manifold design unless you are selling a lot of them. (Or it's for a Motorsport project) Maybe FSR could comment on this?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #62
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Would that have more to do with exceeding 125m/sec with a 3" inlet pipe, than the manifold/plenum itself?

Obviously running large pre-manifold pipe will affect transient response...so it's a trade off with response versus peak power.
Please excuse the layman question: What is special about the 125 m/s intake speed?

Quote:
Really good point, and pretty hard to measure without high speed sensors that would catch the dynamic response. I've looked into this from a response perspective, and the only sensors fast enough to measure this cost $1100-$1300 each depending on the range. Then you have to be able sample higher than Nyquist frequency...which is well above what most motorsport data loggers are capable off. Basically...you're into lab-grade equipment to watch this properly in real-time.....

Total cost including the logger, analysis software, and sensors would be about $11-12k. Pretty hard to build that cost into a manifold design unless you are selling a lot of them. (Or it's for a Motorsport project) Maybe FSR could comment on this?
By this stage our test setup should be on an engine dyno.

I presume that the higher (or lower) than Nyquest frequency would result in a type of "multi-scan" type sensor strategy taking samples at discernible crank angles that would later be compiled into a high resolution chart based on several crank turns worth of samples?

The presumption, of course, is that the engine operation is constant during the crank turns whose samples are utilized and that can only realistically be approximated with an engine dyno.

IF that is true, then the actual cost of obtaining equipment for these types of measurements could likely be significantly higher. What about subcontracting to a firm that already has the lab and sensors? Does FSR have access to such a lab?

Last edited by FragNasty; 11-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #63
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
Please excuse the layman question: What is special about the 125 m/s intake speed?

I presume that the higher (or lower) than Nyquest frequency would result in a type of "multi-scan" type sensor strategy taking samples at discernible crank angles that would later be compiled into a high resolution chart based on several crank turns worth of samples?

The presumption, of course, is that the engine operation is constant during the crank turns whose samples are utilized and that can only realistically be approximated with an engine dyno.

IF that is true, then the actual cost of obtaining equipment for these types of measurements could likely be significantly higher. What about subcontracting to a firm that already has the lab and sensors? Does FSR have access to such a lab?
I have an engine dyno no sensors of those types thou.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #64
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
It's the approximate velocity where you start to see flow resistance increase exponentially when compared to mass flow; commonly known as the choke point.

Quote:

No...$12k would do it, and you could use a chassis dyno...but it makes it a lot easier to experiment with different parts on an engine dyno. That is unless you had your hands on 4stHEAD.....

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 11-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #65
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Can you tell us more about this turbo kit? Does it need an oil scavenge pump?
E85head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #66
Alex@FSR
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: E46
The guys are doing lots of testing with a variety of sensors and logging using some very fast pickups. We aren't just going to throw parts, boost, or nitrous at it to make a number.

The base kit is getting close to being ready. We'll show our oil system once we know it is 100%.

We're putting our heads together with SP and you can count on great results!

Thanks for all of the interest!
Alex@FSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #67
6spd_legend

My Ride: acura legend 6spd
Cant wait for this....
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #68
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
It's the approximate velocity where you start to see flow resistance increase exponentially when compared to mass flow; commonly known as the choke point.

No...$12k would do it, and you could use a chassis dyno...but it makes it a lot easier to experiment with different parts on an engine dyno. That is unless you had your hands on 4stHEAD.....
Interesting.

Thanks for your valuable insight!
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #69
Reid@SP
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Toyota Supra
Send a message via AIM to Reid@SP Send a message via Yahoo to Reid@SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post

Has this system become true plug and play now? So that an average+ wrench turner can hook it up?
A system with this many capabilities will never be completely plug and play.

Hi FSR guys!

Sound Performance
Shop (630) 893-5002
Cell (847) 363-3139

reid@spracingonline.com

**PLEASE DO NOT PM ME!! Please email me for inquiries/communicaton**
Reid@SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #70
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Bump for update!
E85head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #71
d'ray18

My Ride: E90 335
Oh wow, welcome! I'm looking into Cobb so great to know you Protune. Can you tell me what mods that 335 has?

2008 E90 335i
d'ray18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #72
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
I stopped by FSR yesterday. I'm not allowed to say anything.. but I will say this... if you like stealth and clean installs.. I've never seen one as clean as FSR's to date.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 01-13-2013 at 04:48 PM.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #73
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I stopped by FSR yesterday. I'm not allowed to say anything.. but I will say this... if you like stealth and clean installs.. I've never seen one as clean as FSR's to date.
Great to hear! I'll be going for a visit end of Feb
Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #74
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Great to hear! I'll be going for a visit end of Feb
Take me with you!!!

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #75
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
Take me with you!!!
Book the tickets ...then we can go to Disneyland!

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 01-13-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #76
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Wish I could buddy lol, I gotta save money for Mfest

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #77
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Book the tickets ...then we can go to Disneyland!
lol, you getting new engine management?
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #78
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
lol, you getting new engine management?
We'll have to see Doubtful as I pretty much don't want to deal with ProEFI stuff as I have yet to see it at the level I want it...FSR however seems like they have their **** together. I'm holding out for the Infinity...I hope it's everything I want and more but I'll still hold my candle in the dark...waiting.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #79
6spd_legend

My Ride: acura legend 6spd
bump!