E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
SeattleShwarz

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 Vert'
New M3 Owner (Odd Highway characteristics and tire wear)

Hi y'all,

From the south, grew up in trucks my ENTIRE life. Recently graduated with a masters in Aeronautical Engineering. Moved up to Seattle, WA. to work at Boeing. Since I live in Seattle, my 7.3l F350 10" lift CC LB was proving to be difficult to maneuver in the tight confines of roads built for Smart cars. I recently Bought a 2002 M3 Carbon Black M3 Vert W/ 76k miles in October 2012. Sorry for the long intro.

To the problems:
I got a screaming deal for this car, and had a PPI and CarFax done. The PPI reveled the following:
-CPV (I can do myself)
-Guibo (I can do myself)
-Wheel Bearing (Completed)
-Rear shocks are failing
-Front Tires have EXCESSIVE wear on the outside
-Rear Tires have EXCESSIVE wear on the inside

Has 19"x8.5 in front, 19"x9.5 in back, unsure of offset (BBS-LM's)

Here's the specifics:
- Car hasn't been aligned since the last owner put on the 19" rims.
- At highway speeds 60-70 MPH, the steering wheel shakes and has a slight but noticeable vibration throughout the car.
- Tire's have odd wear
- The rear tires have a pinky gap and have 1/4"-1/2" gap
- The front tires have a 1" - 1-1/2" gap.
- The car will occasionally "Grab" the road and veer off to the left (sometimes right) at highway speeds (not a substantial pull, but enough to wake me up and screaming "F*CK!" - "OK, were good."
- There is a high pitched noise coming from somewhere on the car, I cannot pin-point it, but I know for sure it's not another wheel-bearing.

So the questions:
- What are some definitive conclusions based off of my symptoms?
- Could the Rear Springs be broken/sagging?
- What to do about the random road grabbing?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to narrow my focus of attention, don't have much time during the work-week, so would like to fish out the non-sense and help pin-point the problems, so I can get it taken care of.
I am very mechanically inclined. The car did not come with the manual, so if you could provide measurements, or let me know what it is so I can search and find it.

TL;DR: Are my rear springs shot, look at the pictures. Skim the problem section and try to provide some knowledge about existing problems that I am unaware of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	478652   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	478653  
SeattleShwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Best case scenario is that the car needs an alignment.
How is the suspension?
Wheel shaking, could be FCAB front control arm bushings, and possibly control arms.

Uneven Rear Tire wear is often a symptom of RTABs rear trailing arm bushings.

I would start with an alignment, and while it's up in the air, inspect all the bushings, and check your wheels for play, it could be time for a general PM refresh.

GL.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
SeattleShwarz

Thanks MPR. I'll take a look. Jack it up tomorrow at work, I'll try to work in an alignment this week. But, since the rear is so outta wack, wouldn't I have to get another one, once I figure out the Ride Height issue, Anyone have any measurements for loading, or height of the spring so I can test my rears?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Check for worn suspension components BEFORE you get an alignment. If you align the car with worn components after you replace them your alignment is going to be off again.

Personally I'd take it to a shop, let them put it on a lift, and identify all the worn parts. Fix it THEN get it aligned. There's no shame in bringing your car to an expert to get it assessed. You can DIY the actual repairs.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
the fly

My Ride: '95 m3, '03 m3
+1 on worn FCABs. If there more than 3 yrs old, they're probably toast. You may be able to see the year stamped on the rubber (like "01") if you look closely.
the fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Since you got a smoking deal on it, and seem able to DIY, then I suggest replacing the following. It'll cost you < $200, about a day to do it all, and greatly improve the handling of the car:
Steering coupler
FCAB
RTAB
RSMs

and you might as well do struts at the same time.

My car had the same wandering issue at highway speeds, especially on Seattle concrete highways. Similar to tramlining (expected on concrete highways) yet worse. Replacing the steering coupler and FCAB virtually eliminated it.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
FCAB's and RTAB's for sure need replacement. You'll need an alignment after changing RTAB's anyway.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
pahasbimmer

My Ride: 05 M3 - SG/IR, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Since you got a smoking deal on it, and seem able to DIY, then I suggest replacing the following. It'll cost you < $200, about a day to do it all, and greatly improve the handling of the car:
Steering coupler
FCAB
RTAB
RSMs

My car had the same wandering issue at highway speeds, especially on Seattle concrete highways. Similar to tramlining (expected on concrete highways) yet worse. Replacing the steering coupler and FCAB virtually eliminated it.
^That... Plus maybe look into getting some new tires (depending on how bad your uneven tire wear is) AFTER you get all suspension issues fixed and BEFORE the final alignment (or at least re-check the alignment after putting new tires on... if you go that route)... Best of all good luck and enjoy the car... Both e46fanatics and m3forum are excellent DIY resources.

Last edited by pahasbimmer; 11-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
pahasbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
SeattleShwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Check for worn suspension components BEFORE you get an alignment. If you align the car with worn components after you replace them your alignment is going to be off again.

Personally I'd take it to a shop, let them put it on a lift, and identify all the worn parts. Fix it THEN get it aligned. There's no shame in bringing your car to an expert to get it assessed. You can DIY the actual repairs.
Yeah, I'll take it to a shop, see if I can't get it all worked out. The Northwest Thread is dead it seems like; I'll post a thread in there to see if I can find a good indy shop, or maybe a dealer? Anyone know of any in the Seattle area??

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Steering coupler
FCAB
RTAB
RSMs

Thanks! I'll check into those parts; I'll get an opinion from a shop and we'll go from there. Those parts seem pertinent to good handling, I'll look into replacing those as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahasbimmer View Post
^That... Plus maybe look into getting some new tires (depending on how bad your uneven tire wear is) AFTER you get all suspension issues fixed and BEFORE the final alignment (or at least re-check the alignment after putting new tires on... if you go that route)... Best of all good luck and enjoy the car... Both e46fanatics and m3forum are excellent DIY resources.
Thanks for your reply! I'll keep that in mind. I'll definitely get new tires. They are completely worn down on the outside of the front, and inside of the rear.

- Do the BMW's need a "special" alignment, or can I just take it to a jiffy lube/Les shcwab?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
You can get your owner's manual here: http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
VTEC_THIS

My Ride: E46 M3
your wheels may need to be re balanced if your steering wheel is shaking, had the same problem and was perfect after getting the wheels re balanced
VTEC_THIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
As long as the wheels aren't bent and no bubbles/bulges in the tires - the FCABs and RTABs are a good place to start - the failed rear shocks won't help you much here either. These would be 3 of the items I would R&R first.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
shocks, rtabs for the highway grabbing thing.

mine did the same.

2002 BMW TiAg/Imola E46 ///M3 6MT
300WHP 243TRQ | 91 Octane
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #14
the fly

My Ride: '95 m3, '03 m3
In case it helps anyone, I sell new OE rubber pre-pressed in the FCAB lollipops. Makes the job a bit easier...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=376064&page=6
the fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
fatskidmark

My Ride: E46 M3
Don't know if you found a good shop yet, but Broad Stroke Associates: http://www.broadstrokeassociates.com/, is highly recommended. I'd advise you to get your wheels and tires re-balanced also. I'm local in Puyallup, good to hear from some one else in good'ol Washington!
fatskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
YGOSLO

My Ride: 03 CarbonSchwartz M3
About your highway pulling left and right, could be th roads around here. These are the worst highways I've seen. I drive on I-5 between Lacey and JBLM, and those roads suck. And north of JBLM, watch out!! You better have a good grip on the wheel. And this is in multiple cars. The roads here are just sh!t.

2003.5 Carbon Black/Imola Red ///M3 Coupe: Stock
2003 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra: Not Stock
YGOSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Bushings

Alignment

Maybe a bent wheel.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Pull on the wheels both horizontally and vertically to test out sway end link and fcabs, also look at rear trailing arm bushings. Would think that would be checked In the ppi tho
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote