E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
03E40sick

My Ride: 2003 bmw 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to 03E40sick Send a message via Skype™ to 03E40sick
Okay hope everything is okay with you and the family, had to go through Katrina in 2005, it was devastating ... Keep me posted , I'm thinking about changing the ICV, I cleared the check engine light couple days ago, and it came back with " manf control vehicle speed, idle speed control auxiliary inputs" which was the same issue before, so im thinking ICV please correct me I I'm wrong !
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
silvercar

My Ride: 02 325i
40, I have been tempted to replace the idle valve too. But, I already hung one part on this thing that it didn't need because I THOUGHT I had seen enough evidence. Ain't doin that anymore. I want to be very sure before I buy any more pieces. What is that first code, MANF control vehicle speed? Don't recognize that one. You must have a good scanner, that sounds like a beamer code not generic. Have you gotten that one before?
silvercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
03E40sick

I totally understand , specially no one wants to spend money on a part that's working fine , hmm yes I have had it couple time before, I would say in the last month but kept erasing it , the code number is p1500 , as much as I want to replace the ICV, when I took it out and cleaned it it didn't look that bad , had black dust on both ends but cleaned it and it was moving smoothly , my other concern is the throttle body .. I hope it's not the case tho..
Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
silvercar

I cleaned mine too. Same, seems to move freely. The one thing I noticed on it was that it had some scratching on the vanes. I don't know if this is normal or not, or if it would affect operation. I used to fix Volvos, I think they used the same IAC and I never had to replace one. It's been a while though and I was pretty green. I am still in touch with one of my old co workers still working on Volvos. I will call him and ask about this. It is the only abnormal looking thing I could see on the IAC. I'm ordering a set of micro files for cleaning electrical connectors today, they should be here next week and then I'll work on the wire harness. More soon.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
03E40sick

okay sounds good, i was looking into the throttle body, some of our cars come with cable and some come electric, it depends on the year, i believe mine is electrical , new one would cost around $250, not sure if i wana go there yet, might go head and the ICV first, i will keep you guy posted ..
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
silvercar

Have you cleaned the throttle body? I would for sure do that before buying one. I talked to my buddy about the ICV and those things hardly ever go bad and when they do there are obvious symptoms. Scratching on the vanes is normal, does not affect anything. I got my file set yesterday, gonna try to go after the wire harness this weekend with it. I'll post when I learn something new. I'm pretty sure your car is drive by wire (no cable).

Last edited by silvercar; 11-08-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
03E40sick

Yes sir I have cleaned my throttle body along with ICV .. To be honest the ICV seemed very normal ... I will be waiting on your update and we will go from there .. Thank you
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
silvercar

Is the beemer your everyday driver? You should be able to tell if you made a difference or not. Had to attend an out of state funeral over the weekend, did not get to the bummer yet.....still beepin at me and lighting up like a christmas decoration. !@$&%^%$#!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
03E40sick

Yes sir it is my daily driver .. And there is no changes, I have cleaned everything and made sure everything is tight and no leakes.. Still beeps and give those three aggravating lights :/
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
Weste46

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I have the exact same problem as well.. slight pedal pressure brings it on, quickly after startup
I have my own thread on it.. I've replaced MAF and ICV with no change.. still get P1500/211 mechanical fault, jammed open.

My thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=951425

Koni STR.T, poly RTABs, headers, SSK.
Three Pedals, ZSP.
Weste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
Weste46

...i didn't realize I was talking to the same guy. My bad hahaha. Bummer App blinds me
By the way, the bandaid for my issue (until I can get a real solution) is to unplug the MAF. I get limp mode every time with it plugged in, and never without it. Of course, startup is slightly rougher, and MPG tanks, but for me it keeps her going. This works because it gives your ECU an open-loop mapping, which has predetermined variables and does not utilize some sensors.

Three Pedals, ZSP.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #32
silvercar

Thanks for joining in weste. Haven't learned anything new yet. Got a few things to try, but need time. I guess after Thanksgiving. We'll get there someday! Tough when you're short on $ and time.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #33
Weste46

I'm in the same boat. Hey, if you have any ideas on where to start, I would be interested in helping out the hunt! I honestly just ran out of solid ideas, haha.

Three Pedals, ZSP.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
lilbimmer

My Ride: 01 330ci Step
Send a message via Yahoo to lilbimmer Send a message via Skype™ to lilbimmer
OK. I am reviving this again. Had my ICV replaced today and throttle body looked at and within 15mins of driving the 3 dreaded lights came back on. So now I am really not sure what is going on. I did notice this though, during the Fall of 2012, this issue showed up. Winter came along and had no problems the entire winter. Now that it is Spring and the weather has warmed up consistently, the lights are back and I am in limp mode again. Can there be a reason why the outside temp could be affecting this??

lilbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
lilbimmer

bump!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
If temperature affected it, my instinct tells me electrical.
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #37
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Checked your transmission thermostat?

And check codes to see what temp the transmission is reportedly running at. Could be related...

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #38
silvercar

lilbimmer! Good to hear from you. Electronics are very vulnerable to temperature at times. You may recall that I also replaced my throttle body to no good result. I think I drove like a week without a failure. But check this out: Recently had a chance to talk with a grizzled full blood German Beamer mechanic named Zigmund about this problem. He said to unplug the MAF and drive. I did that about 3 or 4 months ago, get ready.....NO FAILURES! Car runs like a scalded dog! If you do this be aware that you will lose cruise control and there may be reduced fuel mileage because as I understand it, this puts the car in a permanantly richer state. Ziggy stopped short of saying the MAF is the problem because he wanted me to bring the car to him so he could scan it and such. Can't do that, can't afford Ziggy. Other than the above there seems to be NO down side to this fix.
I want my cruise back so I'm going to try and figure out how to fool these pesky computers into giving it back. Also want to find the REAL problem and plug MAF back in.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
lilbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercar View Post
lilbimmer! Good to hear from you. Electronics are very vulnerable to temperature at times. You may recall that I also replaced my throttle body to no good result. I think I drove like a week without a failure. But check this out: Recently had a chance to talk with a grizzled full blood German Beamer mechanic named Zigmund about this problem. He said to unplug the MAF and drive. I did that about 3 or 4 months ago, get ready.....NO FAILURES! Car runs like a scalded dog! If you do this be aware that you will lose cruise control and there may be reduced fuel mileage because as I understand it, this puts the car in a permanantly richer state. Ziggy stopped short of saying the MAF is the problem because he wanted me to bring the car to him so he could scan it and such. Can't do that, can't afford Ziggy. Other than the above there seems to be NO down side to this fix.
I want my cruise back so I'm going to try and figure out how to fool these pesky computers into giving it back. Also want to find the REAL problem and plug MAF back in.
What's good silvercar? Funny you should mention the MAF as I asked the mechanic who worked on my car last week what his thoughts were about removing it. He was kind of weary of doing so. Like I mentioned in this post or another, I was fooling with the MAF one day and did not see the lights for weeks. So did you take the entire box off or can the plastic piece that connects to the air filter come off? I might try this this weekend.

To the other comments, the wiring has come up as a possible issue as well.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
lilbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Checked your transmission thermostat?

And check codes to see what temp the transmission is reportedly running at. Could be related...
How do I check this using the BMW 1.4.0 Scanner?