E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #81
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
fixed
lol, that too. A 3 yr old car vs. a 10 yr old car (when I sold it).

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #82
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
lol, that too. A 3 yr old car vs. a 10 yr old car (when I sold it).
I am sure you already know this @evolved but i know we had talked over pm about you picking up a 1. just wanted to mention, honestly this car has been just amazing for me,. under warranty have had Sooo much minor stuff done free. had literally all four rotors pads and wear sensors replaced becasue they *squeaked* i kid you not. oil changes, a/c service, minor wear and tear, replaced steering wheel trim, hpfp recall (new part number, no actual problem) everything. turbos are covered until 80k and hpfp until 120k (no problems from either) ... i really need to get my SA like a gift card or something. on top of zero on maintenance it the icing on the cake is that I took a loan out on the car (owe 20k) at 2.9%... i literally could go in and pay it off tomorrow but i am making like 10-15% in the market in mutual funds and stocks and used the 20k for a down payment for a house that i rent out instead. Literally making money off the car lol. indirectly. It is almost like funny. Just all about the numbers. i was just laughing at this because i remember when i posted that i first bought it somebody freaked out saying OMGG you have a loan, smart move at such a young age it's like.. uhh. you dont know anything about the situation. lol. I guess statistically usually that isnt the case though but. With a 750+ credit score, you should ALWAYS finance your cars, unless you are a really bad investor or have like poor bookkeeping or discipline issues. Tying up 20-30k liquid is utterly foolish when you can borrow at 2.9%.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 11-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #83
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I think the wishbones are the only M3 components that will reduce camber (~-.75 degrees). You can remove the strut alignment pins for another -.5 degrees (or so). That's about the cheapest way to dial in the camber for the E82/E9X
I was just talking about reducing understeer/slop on the whole. It certainly did get more complicated in the E8X/E9X cars.

My take:

I think the E46 is slightly better handling, new for new, stock for stock. I think the average E46 on the road today doesn't handle as well as an E82.

I think the E82 has more potential than the E46 as a chassis, but it takes a good chunk of change to get there. Sways, wheels, and all the M3 suspension bits. That's the big thing that wasn't necessary on the E46. Switching all the various links and the rear bushings out for the M3 parts.

If I had the money I'd be driving a 1M, or an N55 135is if one could get a sunroof delete version and swap all the M suspension bits in it.

The E82 isn't a clear step forward in all regards. For example just as the E46 has some annoying rattles, the E82 has similar armrest squeaks and a slightly rattly dash.

But it is newer and smaller than the E46, so those are big wins there. I wish it was a bit lighter.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #84
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I was just talking about reducing understeer/slop on the whole. It certainly did get more complicated in the E8X/E9X cars.

My take:

I think the E46 is slightly better handling, new for new, stock for stock. I think the average E46 on the road today doesn't handle as well as an E82.

I think the E82 has more potential than the E46 as a chassis, but it takes a good chunk of change to get there. Sways, wheels, and all the M3 suspension bits. That's the big thing that wasn't necessary on the E46. Switching all the various links and the rear bushings out for the M3 parts.

If I had the money I'd be driving a 1M, or an N55 135is if one could get a sunroof delete version and swap all the M suspension bits in it.

The E82 isn't a clear step forward in all regards. For example just as the E46 has some annoying rattles, the E82 has similar armrest squeaks and a slightly rattly dash.

But it is newer and smaller than the E46, so those are big wins there. I wish it was a bit lighter.
Ah! the squeaky dash lol.
every single person has this problem lol. where the passenger a pillar meets the dash. i have heard it can be solved with just some lubricant, havent gotten to it.

I agree with pretty much every thing you have stated here.

If you have good credit, build up a solid liquid backing, then just finance one at a low rate, use the money to invest at a higher rate, businesses, mutual funds, real estate, and turn it into a win win for yourself.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 11-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #85
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Ah! the squeaky dash lol.
every single person has this problem lol. where the passenger a pillar meets the dash. i have heard it can be solved with just some lubricant, havent gotten to it.

I agree with pretty much every thing you have stated here.

If you have good credit, build up a solid liquid backing, then just finance one at a low rate, use the money to invest at a higher rate, businesses, mutual funds, real estate, and turn it into a win win for yourself.

Our 128i isn't rattling at the A-pillar/dash, but I'll sure keep an eye out now.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #86
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Our 128i isn't rattling at the A-pillar/dash, but I'll sure keep an eye out now.
What are the specs on yours? color? interior? 6mt ? i have always thought.. the 128i is hands down one of the best long term cars out there.

Last edited by golf_234; 11-19-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #87
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
What are the specs on yours? color? interior? 6mt ? i have always thought.. the 128i is hands down one of the best long term cars out there.

It's Alpine White/black leather, 6MT, M-Pkg, Navigation, USB/bluetooth, BMW Assist, etc. It's her first BMW!
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #88
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post

My take:

The E9x chassis are much better than the E46. There's no argument there.

When both cars were stock, my sister's 2007 328xi felt a little bit better overall than my 330Ci, IMO. The big difference was body roll in corners - the E90 had my E46 easily beat.

However, it's hard to judge the rest of everything considering her car had like 20k miles and my E46 had 70k.... and she's on M+S All season run flats and I was on nice Goodyear summer rubber.

Last edited by Andy2108; 11-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote