E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
noobsthename

My Ride: 2001 330i
Test Driving a Car-Help Identifying Problems

I am test driving the car for a couple of days and want to know what needs to be replaced so I can talk down the price.

1.There is steering wheel vibration during drivingo at both low and high speeds and the vibration seems to get a bit worse when braking. The seller mentioned that he went to get an alignment but was told he needs to replace a bushing in the front before the alignment can be done. Could the vibration be caused by the Front control arm bushings w/ bracket, part# 31126783376?

2.Also I noticed a hose looked a bit dodgy which I believe is an SAP vaccum line.
It's the curved hose in the top left hand corner of this diagram, connecting items 1 & 3 (thanks jfof). But, I can't seem to find a pn, can anyone help me out?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...7&d=1327794586

3.There a very slight noise that seems to come from the fan... after some research it seems like the bearings need to be greased? Not sure about this one.... I will post a video once I get home

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by noobsthename; 11-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
noobsthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
take it to a BMW dealer and get a PPI. Or at the very least a BWM shop.
If you try to save the $300 or so for the PPI now, a neglected or abused BMW will cost you thousands.
This is not a Japanese or American car. BMW's are different.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
CABs could certainly cause the issue you have...but the CAs might be bad also...lots more stuff you think will probably need doing and if you don't have tons of money, you should spend some of it on a professional PPI, which includes a proper subframe inspection.

In the meanwhile, you can remove underskirt and look for other oil leaks, coolant leaks, PS fluid leaks...check fluids conditions...open up trunk and look under floor mat, maybe remove a cover in the back to look at shock tower condition (and in front too).

Also, when you drive, attend to one or two things at a time...see if it tracks, if you hear bearing 'whooping' in turns, track mpgs/mph,
get codes read for free at Autozone.

There's lots you can do. But, take it to a dealer, I'm confident that they'll be able to come up with a solid $1-3,000 worth of work...which work, might translate into $500 in parts and a few weekends of your time.

You didn't say specifically, but is the car you're testing the 2001 330i? How many miles? What records, if any, do you have from seller of repair history (which, btw, a dealer could print out for you and you'd at least know what the car went through in its early days while under warranty).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
noobsthename

Is there a way to visually inspect the CABs by just jaking up the car? I was considering a PPI, but i can't decide if it's really necessary since the coolant system was overhauled this year and I will be most likely replacing the entire suspension, and draining and replacing all fluids within the next few months.

There are no leaks, and fluids checked out. I'll check out the trunk and shock tower later today.

Not really sure I understand what you mean by seeing if it tracks... but I kept my ears pried for any sounds and hear nothing other than that slight fan noise. Not spitting out any codes.

It's a 2001 330i, 99k miles. It was in an accident in '04 and declared a slavage, motor was replaced in '09 so it is considered "rebuilt" and the new motor only has 50k miles on it. The thing is I am getting this car for pretty cheap so I am not opposed to spending a bit of money on it over the next half year or so to bring it to tip top shape.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
tjyak50

My Ride: Frontier, 240z, W126
I've been looking at e46 the last month too.
Of the dozen I've looked at, 80% had bad CAB. I just grab the front tire and try to move it back and forth. If it moves an inch in each direction (Fwd and backwards) and goes clunk...

You can also look down from the front to the back and see the CAB and watch it smack the case.
That will be a 1st job on whichever one I buy.

Last edited by tjyak50; 11-14-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
tjyak50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
noobsthename

Can anyone help me identify the hose in the following picture?

http://i.imgur.com/vAJGD.jpg

It is attached to item #1 in the following picture

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=11&fg=45

Last edited by noobsthename; 11-19-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
This is the part number for the SAP hose in the photo: 11727555681
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote