E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #41
kngpro311

My Ride: 01 325ci
ST V1 Coilovers are defiantly the best bang for your buck. They are also better quality than other brands.
kngpro311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #42
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Oh yeah and get the "z3 rear shock mount reinforcements"
They're little 1/4" thick metal plates that go between the shock mount and the metal of the car. They're a good idea when changing parts out.
*if it matters to anyone. Actually they fit above the metal of the car, like where a washer goes between a nut and the bolt. This keeps the metal from pulling through the top to the bottom. Rear reinforcement plates only touch the mount's bolts and not the mount itself.

What you're describing is how the front BMW reinforcement plates fit. Which is sandwiched between the mount and the tower metal.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 11-19-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #43
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
*if it matters to anyone. Actually they fit above the metal of the car, like where a washer goes between a nut and the bolt. This keeps the metal from pulling through the top to the bottom. Rear reinforcement plates only touch the mount's bolts and not the mount itself.

What you're describing is how the front BMW reinforcement plates fit. Which is sandwiched between the mount and the tower metal.
Ah that's actually what I meant. For some reason I was picturing the mount inside the trunk. Not below. Thanks for correcting.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #44
peanutbarnes

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323C1 (E46)
I am changing the control arm bushings and bracket when I revamp the suspension.
peanutbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
peanutbarnes

Another question man.....i was thinking about the camber of my wheels......I guess that is what you call it....am i gonna need a camber kit since it will be lowered and if so what do i need?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #46
peytonracer4

If you lower it to what I have you won't need a camber kit. If you slam it and make it undrivable you'll need camber plates and maybe adjustable rear control arms.
I really don't recommend lowering it that much
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
peanutbarnes

I have made up my mind....tell me if you like it: ST Coilovers, Contol Arm Bracket and Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts with z3 reinforcement plates, Front Shock/Strut Mounts......also after a week of letting the suspension settle I am gonna measure and add some wheel spacers to give it a more aggressive stance
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #48
peanutbarnes

These are the look that I a going for....what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car example.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	478944   Click image for larger version

Name:	car example 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	478945   Click image for larger version

Name:	car example 3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	478946  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbarnes View Post
I have made up my mind....tell me if you like it: ST Coilovers, Contol Arm Bracket and Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts with z3 reinforcement plates, Front Shock/Strut Mounts......also after a week of letting the suspension settle I am gonna measure and add some wheel spacers to give it a more aggressive stance
Sounds good.
If you're planning on your wheels being that flush, especially like the black car, you're going to need someone to cut and push your fenders I think. Or at least cut them. Even rolling them won't allow you to get that flush.
In my pictures in my for sale ad, that's as flush as you can get without rubbing with stock fenders. 1 or 2 more mm in the rear and it would rub.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #50
peanutbarnes

I know what a fender roll is but what do you mean by "cutting" and "pushing" the fenders?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #51
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbarnes View Post
I know what a fender roll is but what do you mean by "cutting" and "pushing" the fenders?
Well rolling, as you know, is bending the little lip up inside the fender. Cutting is actually cutting out that lip completely to get more clearance. Pushing is changing the shape of the fender by pushing it out.
You probably won't need to push the fender but to be crazy flush you'll need to cut it. You can still be aggressive with just a simple fender roll.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #52
Alex323Ci

you did not answer if you've checked or had your subframe repaired??

you are aware the photos you posted are M3s and have different flared front and rear fenders?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #53
peanutbarnes

No I havent Alex but i will be sure to do that. Can any mechanic check the subframe because i would rather have the guy that is gonna overhaul my suspension do it if that is possible. I am sure that they know what to look for. Also as far as the black car that is what I want it to look like........at least the blue one will do though. What do i need to do to make it look like the black one?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #54
peanutbarnes

Just thought about something.....I know that the front control arm bushings go bad but the the brackets go bad too? I was just about the order the entire kit but I could come out way cheaper if I just ordered the bushings instead of the entire thing ya know? Somebody on here said that the brackets were made out of aluminum....then another said steel but anyway just a thought.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #55
Alex323Ci

well anyone who knows what they are looking for can check it. I'd do this before jumping into any expensive projects to know what you're getting into. you might be able to catch it early and just do the foam epoxy to fix.

well there are Control Arms and then the Control Arm Bushings(CABs). The CABs are what fit into the bracket or "lollipop" bracket(also aluminum). you have to press in/out new bushing if using previous lollipop bracket. if your 323Ci never had new CAs and CABs it may have the smaller size and need updated size. So new lollipops with bushings installed may be easier. if you're doing the work you may need a press. so often it's easier to buy already pressed in. it's often not much more.

i would buy Meyle HD CAs and CABs if you want a good brand at good price that also has a warranty.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
peytonracer4

I have some meyle control arm bushings already pressed in if you want them. Installed and have less than 1000 miles and then uninstalled. They're basically brand new