E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
sc2sick

My Ride: 03 325i
Send a message via AIM to sc2sick
Mystery Bolt came off in driveway

Absent from forums as of late due to not being able to drive my car really since June because clutch and torn left ACL/MCL don't mix..

Pulled into my dad's driveway tonight and heard an odd noise and just kept driving up the driveway just fine.. my dad looked and found a mystery bolt still warm so clearly off the car

I have reason to believe it's a suspension bolt but I'm towing it to the shop tomorrow night to find it's home.. just looking for a head start if anyone recognizes where this may have come from..

Image taken next to computer mouse for size reference.

UPDATE: So the winner is QAfred it was bolt #5, #2 was loose too and we couldn't reach the top two very well even with swivel sockets.. I will be speaking with that shop in the morning to have this addressed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG170.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	478787  

Last edited by sc2sick; 11-20-2012 at 07:33 PM.
sc2sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
That's 99% for the transmission. You should be fine without needing a tow. Just don't race or anything, and replace asap.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
boongsin12

My Ride: none
wild guess # 3 on the link?
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...89&hg=33&fg=25
boongsin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
sc2sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boongsin12 View Post
If that's the case am I correct in assuming there are a corresponding number of bolts just like it holding the rest of the shaft into the case?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
QAfred

My Ride: 330ci, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
That's 99% for the transmission. You should be fine without needing a tow. Just don't race or anything, and replace asap.
+1, pretty sure it is tranny mount bolt. # 2 or #5.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tranny.png
Views:	126
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	478789  
QAfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
sc2sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Good to know, takes a load off my mind, I started work on my Saturn backup car project the weekend before I ruined my knee so a whole pile of parts sat in my back yard all summer.. I really want just one major project at a time and I can't really squat well right now..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
sc2sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
+1, pretty sure it is tranny mount bolt. # 2 or #5.
Thank you for the diagram, makes it easier to visualize, if that's the case is it something easily accessible from a lift? Hoping just to bring it to the shop, raise it up and put it back together in a short timeframe since I can't stand too long..

Since everyone is being so helpful does anyone have a torque spec sheet handy so I can make sure everything else is secure to spec? I don't want to do this once there's snow all over everything..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
QAfred

Has anyone worked on it lately? Transmission that is? Take a look at attached photo above, these are pretty easy to access once you are back in working order.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
QAfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2sick View Post
Thank you for the diagram, makes it easier to visualize, if that's the case is it something easily accessible from a lift? Hoping just to bring it to the shop, raise it up and put it back together in a short timeframe since I can't stand too long..

Since everyone is being so helpful does anyone have a torque spec sheet handy so I can make sure everything else is secure to spec? I don't want to do this once there's snow all over everything..
M8 15 ft lb, M10 31 FT.LB, M12 53ft. lb...it is an automatic? correct.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
sc2sick

Quote:
Has anyone worked on it lately? Transmission that is? Take a look at attached photo above, these are pretty easy to access once you are back in working order.
Did a thermostat about a month ago, oil change at regular intervals.. Struts/Springs in May, that's about it, nothing near the transmission.. I have a stack of previous maintenance history..

It looks like on 11/28/11 the clutch and flywheel were replaced. I have attached in the invoice in case there is anything relevant in there that I might not have noticed. The work was done by Orr Autosport in Eden Prairie, MN
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG173.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	478790  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
sc2sick

Quote:
M8 15 ft lb, M10 31 FT.LB, M12 53ft. lb...it is an automatic? correct.
Manual, hence the not driving because of destroyed left knee.. it was hard driving a 93 Dodge Caravan for a while....
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
QAfred

Quote:
Manual, hence the not driving because of destroyed left knee.. it was hard driving a 93 Dodge Caravan for a while....
oh yeah, you did say that, then it is:
M8=16, M10= 32, M12= 53 FT. LBS...yeah, believe it or not....1 Ft LB delta on the M8 and M10 compared to the automatic...according to my Bentley manual- which is current up to 2001 model year. I doubt the torque changed on 2003's.

Last edited by QAfred; 11-19-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
sc2sick

Fantastic, if this forum had reputation enabled I would be clicking many places in this thread. I'm far more at ease now.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
mkodama

Either from the transmission to engine or bumper reinforcement to bumper shock. Those are the only two places a bolt like that gets used.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
sc2sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Either from the transmission to engine or bumper reinforcement to bumper shock. Those are the only two places a bolt like that gets used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e46-e36-...-/350543143924

It looks a bit different to me, but it could be a stock image. If it doesn't belong in the other places it's definitely another spot to check.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
QAfred

Quote:
Did a thermostat about a month ago, oil change at regular intervals.. Struts/Springs in May, that's about it, nothing near the transmission.. I have a stack of previous maintenance history..

It looks like on 11/28/11 the clutch and flywheel were replaced. I have attached in the invoice in case there is anything relevant in there that I might not have noticed. The work was done by Orr Autosport in Eden Prairie, MN
okay then, definitely check torque on all the bolts, he may have ate lunch after sliding transmission in place, leaving them all loose
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
sc2sick

Quote:
okay then, definitely check torque on all the bolts, he may have ate lunch after sliding transmission in place, leaving them all loose
Yeah, I'm hoping the rest are all there considering I didn't exactly go easy on it when I took it through Tail of the Dragon in May
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:

It looks a bit different to me, but it could be a stock image. If it doesn't belong in the other places it's definitely another spot to check.
^that looks nothing like a bumper bolt from an e46.

I'm thinking it's probably a bumper bolt or transmission bolt.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
mkodama

Quote:

It varies from car to car and I think between body kits as well. One option was an internal torx head, and the other option was an external torx head.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I've only had experience with the internal torx on the bumper bolt so I wouldn't have known that. Thanks!

I'm thinking maybe this is the bolt holding the starter on? Thinking maybe the starter was recently replaced.

Or else the clutch was recently replaced and the tech couldn't quite get to one of the two top bolts and gave up trying to get it tight and just left it. It probably wouldn't be the first time as that top bolt is a bun of a sitch.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote