E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #41
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Interesting collection of information in this thread. Too bad some posts will clearly mislead readers.

Owners that "launch" their cars may indeed shred some components in the process. Most likely, you'd hammer that baby without any boost. For the non-launchers that simply want a seat of the pants upgrade without dashing out for an "M", you might be rewarded with the additional S/C Ponies. This amount of boost will not grenade the XI drive train with normal street driving styles. You definitely could feel the pull improvement from it unlike any other external engine mod or combination of. The economics are simple. If the car has high mileage or you are considering selling it soon, forget about it. This commitment will have a price tag but the results from a proper design and implementation should be manageable and not Dr. Frankensteins' deal.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #42
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Their website quotes a 17hp gain... In any case, how does one go about doing this and how much does it cost?
Although they are Swiss company, the site says they have a dealer in Foothill Ranch, CA. I found a phone number, but it's a euro phone #. +39 331 274 32 59
Better info-DigitalTuning USA, 21 Rancho Circle, Foothill Ranch, CA 949-340-3368 info@digitaltuning.us

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff

Last edited by Rickna; 03-14-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #43
Eccentricbimmer1

My Ride: e46 325i
Dont let some of these posts scare you!

There are several valid points on this thread that need certain attention when adding decent HP. There are also several unbacked rants from individuals with no experience or who are just going off what other people have told them. I understand the German Tech. knows his sh*t and probably has very good insight, however some of the things posted during that rant does not make him expert on everything. Speaking for myself (A BMW Tech.), I have had an AA sc for nearly three years now with over 130k miles on my 325i and nearly 70k on the blower. I have never had an issue with my differential, stock clutch, axles, C.V.s, etc. The only transmission i replaced was before i owned the blower and it was due to me being young and dumb and beating the hell out of it (constant burnouts and hard starts). It was a 1st/2nd syncro. that went bad. While i can't guarantee anything on an Xi vehicle's transfer case, there is no reason it shouldn't be able to hold up with another 75 - 100 flywheel hp (of course don't go around burning out and shifting hard). The differential is the same as in the RWD vehicles and the axles are actually a little larger.
I probably would not recommend a blower for an auto trans. Of course what would be the point in beefing up e46 automatics anyway?
Bottom line, BMW over engineers most of all their parts in these cars -> The Xi should be fine with a supercharger The company may even lower the boost a little, much like the automatic tunes (7psi instead of 8psi) to protect the transfer case. Make sure to inquire about it. You also may have to settle for a stage 1 due to lack of room for intercooler piping as well. Definitely go with a company like AA, VF or ESS. Do not try to put one together yourself if you are the average joe (no punt intended).
I would recommend solid diff bushings and stiffer engine/ transfer case bushings down the road (though not detrimental if you don't). Just upgrade when the stock mounts go bad. Solids are much easier to press in too! Go for the blower if you can afford it! Don't let some of these posts scare you out of the project! Be reasonable driving the car and you should enjoy your boosted Xi!

Last edited by Eccentricbimmer1; 11-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Eccentricbimmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #44
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
do not go supercharger on and Xi! the car is not designed to handle that kind of Hp or torque! especially the transmission...the planetary gears wil strip, the differtential will strip. The entire drivetrain is NOT designed to handle that kind of power. I have a close freind here in NOLA, this gentleman is aged beyond me( i am 38) and has been racing since he was 18. He is from Bavaria...has owned a repair shop here for 20+ yrs, -is german and is a plethura of information! He also was a Formula One mechanic for quite sometime, started racing in Germany when he was 18, worked in a high performance auto shop in Miami during the 1980-(near thunder alley) This guy knows BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes,Porsche like no other!!!!!. I asked him about a Super Chrger for my Xi and he looked at me with the most sarcastic respnses I ever heard! LOL.." zee xi is for AWD! not vor 2wd..racing!!!!"
no.

I ran a 9 psi supercharger with water meth on my xi, did not like it, however car had no issues handling the power. I would recommend some headers with sport cats as a nice power mod.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #45
Kittepunch

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
He then went on a verbal tangient with me for twenty minutes as to why the automobile needs a proper foundation of equiptment-sensitivity-that is prepared to handle the HP...and he made alot of sense. he said " all dezz kids-ripping out exhausts-bigger vheeeels-intakes!" thats why they have zsssoooooooo many problems! bigger vheeels cause ball joint problems,control arm problems,bushings wear out faster!!! 22" rims on a car designed for 16' or 17'' rims! not omly do sheyy loook stupid... the transmissions vill vhere away! You strip the gears, the larger the diameter the more power it takes to rotate the rim around!!! you wil eventually tear apart the CV joints...everything ruined....the improper balancing, steering units will fail! control arms will need be replaced too, alignments,........ intakes will in time sandblast the MAFS and you wil buy a new one for $300+!!! you can upgrade but not contradict the engineering design of the automobile! Now you say a supercharger???? imagine what the transmission wil look like after 5000 miles with the constant reving of rpms for a car that comes stock to handle 185 HP! He went on and i listened...he was 100% right. Want to have HP? purchase a car that is desined to handle and deliver it...a M3! or purchase the proper equiptment to do it!!! lotsa $$$$$.
If you want to play...... you GOTTA PAY!
I definitely want to meet this man.
Kittepunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xi turbo