E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
tjyak50

My Ride: Frontier, 240z, W126
Just got home from San Diego where we made the purchase.
2005 330Ci with ZHP, Auto, S/G Metallic, Black, Nav, Leather, Heated, 65k, BT one owner who was a pilot and obviously took good care.
Walked up to the car and said "I'll take it" in my mind. Test drove directly to a gas station and filled with Premium Fuel, then made the deal. I've bought and sold enough cars and planes in my life to know when right is right.

Has some normal courtesy scrapes here and there. Right Front LCB is ready. Rotors have no ledge at all, insanely square.
A and C trim is perfect, Cube is all perfect, and the rear window outer trim is perfect (never actually seen that).

Paid good money for it, but it wasn't going to last long.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-18_14-03-52_513.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	478648

Flew back to AZ in the Swift tonight all smiles, and will drive home tomorrow or Tues.
tjyak50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #22
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Wow *great* car and good buy!

It sounds like its worth good money so don't worry about it!

Good luck and enjoy the ride!!

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
tjyak50

Drove home from San Diego last night in the new car. What a ride. Non-stop with about 26.2 mpg average. Figured out most of the buttons and NAV. I was very impressed with the Nav system. The voice commands are mellow and helpful.

The Adaptive Zenons are a bit freaky at first. I spent a lot of time changing lanes.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyak50 View Post
I am actively shopping, driving and comparing e46 Coupes (automatic) and have some observations and questions if anybody has time to address some new buyer questions.

1) Slight trans shudder.
Drove a 50k mile 330Ci (6 speed Step) that exhibited a very slight shudder on acceleration up to about 30mph. Hard to even tell except I am picky. This scary? Rare? Common? Maybe it was less once the car warmed up.

2) Fluids.
Drove a 2006 325Ci and on cursory inspection the engine oil was barely reading on the dipsitck, the Coolant could not be seen down in that well below the cap and the ATF was reading below, or maybe right at the bottom of the stick. Car hadn't been driven in a few days. Nothing unusual about fluid levels on the e46 is there?

3) LCA bushing.
Same 2006 325Ci listed above, made a clunk when tapping breaks, looked out window and the FL tire moved when tapping brakes. I can see the Rear LCA bushing totally loose, can move it around just by pushing tire. THose bushings common replacement items?

4) Front Camber Adjustment?
On one very low mile car I noticed the paint under the 3 nuts on top of the front strut housings was shifted. Both L & R front struts had the camber adjusted. Are there slots under those stock nuts? Or did somebody have to make slots? None of the other 5 e46 cars had any adjustment there.

Looking forward to joining the e46 Club. Getting close to finding the perfect car.
Tj
50K isn't a lot of miles but it's how those miles were drive that matters.

1. If its auto could be seriously expensive. But you need to get it up in the air and check control arm and driveshaft bushes. Not expensive to change.

2. Low fluids. Wouldn't touch it with a sh*tty stick. The fact that they are low AND the fact that the seller was happy to show the car with low fluids
illustrates that they have no idea how important they are and I would suspect routine neglect in its history. Don't need to say more than that really. Item 3 tends to support this. Item 4 too. Sounds like its been hammered. Walk away.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Everything you mentioned is common and needs to be replaced. Any E46 (or any used BMW for that matter) will need to be rebuilt from the ground up. Factor in an additional $3,500-$5,500 or MORE if you are picky as you say you are. For the next three years, you'll be purchasing parts every weekend. The list would probably be 50 pages long. Also steps are 5-speed.

Oh and don't bother with an automatic. You'll be dissapointed forever.
FFS. oh please. Enough is enough. Just go away with this crap. Where do you get this stuff from? If they listened to you nobody would ever buy these cars.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-21-2012 at 09:07 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
tjyak50

I tried this setting on the Nav and it obviously doesn't work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-20_17-32-15_425.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	478995