E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
E46runsPCB

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Help....what just happened?

I'm backing out of a parking spot, hear a pop and have no power steering...belts are fine and no other noises. Fluids are good as well. So whatever, figured the pump is done. So then, I have the car on looking at the belts, checking for anything else, get back in the car and the temp gauge is up...now looking at the car very confused. Any ideas? I need to get this out of this parking lot asap

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Bimmer app.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Are you sure the belts are okay?

If the power steering is gone and the car is overheating, then the commonality is the main belt has broken. Turn the car off and yank on the belt.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
E46runsPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Are you sure the belts are okay?

If the power steering is gone and the car is overheating, then the commonality is the main belt has broken. Turn the car off and yank on the belt.

That's my thought exactly but they're perfectly in tact and all pulleys are spinning fine. No odd noises or anything.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Temp gauge is up as in overheated?

So your wheels will turn, it's just very hard?
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
328ci906

My Ride: 2003 M3
Pull the belt and check the water pump and the power steering pump pulleys. My bet is that you water pump is seized and your ps pump is shot. Check the ps pump by seeing if you can pull the pulley forwards or backwards in and out of the pump.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
E46runsPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Temp gauge is up as in overheated?

So your wheels will turn, it's just very hard?

Yeah needle was 3/4 the way in the red. And wheels do turn, just no power steering..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
Pull the belt and check the water pump and the power steering pump pulleys. My bet is that you water pump is seized and your ps pump is shot. Check the ps pump by seeing if you can pull the pulley forwards or backwards in and out of the pump.
Water pump only has 10k on it.
PS pump pulley isn't loose at all.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
It is very, very unlikely that both an overheating issue and a PS issue would happen at the same time unless there is an issue with the belt itself.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
jdstrickland

You have to take the belt off and turn all of the pulleys. You are describing a main belt breakage, but you also insist that the belt is moving. You have to take the belt off and check that the various pulleys all turn properly.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
It is very, very unlikely that both an overheating issue and a PS issue would happen at the same time unless there is an issue with the belt itself.
+1. Taking the belt off should uncover the problem.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
WDE46

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You have to take the belt off and turn all of the pulleys. You are describing a main belt breakage, but you also insist that the belt is moving. You have to take the belt off and check that the various pulleys all turn properly.
I don't see how this could happen without a belt breaking or having multiple pulleys seized.

Is your water pump spinning?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
E46runsPCB

Quote:
Exactly why I'm completely mind blown.

I hope this could be an issue, is there a power steering cooler than runs through the coolant in anyway that could have busted putting power steering fluid in the coolant or anything of that such? I remember something along those lines happening to my buddy's Audi.
If that's even possible. He's not the brightest one.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46runsPCB View Post
..... is there a power steering cooler than runs through the coolant in anyway.....
No. There's a heat exchanger for auto trans fluid, but no connection with the PS fluid.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
E46runsPCB

I already got picked up by a friend. To my eye, with the car running everything was functioning perfectly fine. All pulleys were spinning that I could see and the belts were fine.
Unfortunately my father just left for Iraq Monday and he has more knowledge over all of this than I do.
I agree entirely with you guys that it sounds like a main belt breakage or seized something or other, but I can't do much with it in the parking lot there. I'll get it to the hobby shop on base as soon as I can.
Thanks everyone who has responded. I'll be back there tomorrow to get it somewhere..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
WDE46

That's odd to say the least.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
E46runsPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's odd to say the least.
You're telling me..I'm super confused. Hopefully when I get a better look at it I'll be able to figure something out or update you guys. For now, research time.
I'm definitely going to double check all the belts and everything.
I thought the water pump and power steering were on separate belts?
I can motor swap a 350 crate into my jeep by myself but when little things like this happen it makes me so mad not to know what's going on.
Keep in mind that I'm only 18 and still learning, so I'm taking all your words and troubleshooting into consideration. I just got into the German world a year ago and glad to say this is my first problem!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
WDE46

Quote:
I thought the water pump and power steering were on separate belts?
No. The main belt drives the alternator, power steering, water pump. The other belt only has the AC compressor on it. The waterpump is the large, top, center, puller underneath the thermostat.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
E46runsPCB

Hey guys, just a little update.
Replaced the power steering pump today, the shaft was completely broken and the pulley was just spinning free..so that fixed that.
The overheating issue I'm starting to believe is my electric fan is failing cause the temp gauge only rises when idling after its at running temp. If it idles for like, 5 minutes it starts to overheat and as soon as I start driving it goes back down..any other ideas?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
its most likely your fan then if it only starts to overheat while your at idle... my last e46 did the same, the electric fan was shot.

02' 325i sport/premium pkgs zhp wheels & shift knob, euro clears, painted lip, Eonon Nav unit.
afstud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
I'm backing out of a parking spot, hear a pop and have no power steering...belts are fine and no other noises. Fluids are good as well. So whatever, figured the pump is done. So then, I have the car on looking at the belts, checking for anything else, get back in the car and the temp gauge is up...now looking at the car very confused. Any ideas? I need to get this out of this parking lot asap

Busted PS pump shaft?

RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote