E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Lol the biggest challenge I had when I first got mine was learning how to start the car
Hahaha I remember
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #22
TitanSl33pr

My Ride: 330ci
I just purchased an 03 SMG n I love it! I always drove my 330ci in sport mode n shifted..feels awesome! Had a show down with an Audi S6 the other day...smoked him lol!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Bimmer App

Last edited by TitanSl33pr; 11-22-2012 at 12:23 AM.
TitanSl33pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #23
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Quick question I'm looking to get an 05-06 m3 with smg. How do you turn it on? I don't want to look like a newb unable to turn it on.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
Quick question I'm looking to get an 05-06 m3 with smg. How do you turn it on? I don't want to look like a newb unable to turn it on.
insert key, turn a bit to turn on battery, put in neutral, press brake and turn key the rest of the way.

Hear the beautiful sound of bmws high revving 330 hp inline 6 S54 engine start up!

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #25
ImSoFreaknWhite

Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Ive had sexual relations with OP

just saying...

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #26
ANREC330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSoFreaknWhite View Post
insert key, turn a bit to turn on battery, put in neutral, press brake and turn key the rest of the way.

Hear the beautiful sound of bmws high revving 330 hp inline 6 S54 engine start up!
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. One more thing, taking off I just move over the shifter and it'll start me in 1st rite? And how do I engage the "auto" mode since the only person that can go is my mother and she can't drive stick (my current car) or smg (she'll be driving it back)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #27
ImSoFreaknWhite

Quote:
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. One more thing, taking off I just move over the shifter and it'll start me in 1st rite? And how do I engage the "auto" mode since the only person that can go is my mother and she can't drive stick (my current car) or smg (she'll be driving it back)
Ya or you can push it back and start off in 2nd gear. And just put in it 1st and then push it to the right again and that's auto mode. But personally I hate the auto mode. Its retarded haa

My Build Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #28
ANREC330

Quote:
Ya or you can push it back and start off in 2nd gear. And just put in it 1st and then push it to the right again and that's auto mode. But personally I hate the auto mode. Its retarded haa
Thank you. I don't plan to ever drive it in auto but occasionally I would let my mother use it so I decided I'd go with SMG since I already have a manual car. What's a good shift firmness to set it too?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #29
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Ive had sexual relations with OP

just saying...
This is true. I'm drunk.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #30
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Lol oh yes I love that people can never start my car. That feeling when you hear "ummmm how do we put in neutral?" is the best.
Hahaha so true, happens to me all the time

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #31
madonm3e46

My Ride: bmw m3 convertible
Thumbs Up

totally agree with you,wouldnt have an m3 without smg
madonm3e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
illestminimike

Quote:
Thank you. I don't plan to ever drive it in auto but occasionally I would let my mother use it so I decided I'd go with SMG since I already have a manual car. What's a good shift firmness to set it too?
Me and ImSoFreaknWhite leave ours in S4.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
ANREC330

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Me and ImSoFreaknWhite leave ours in S4.
Thank you sir. If all goes well ill be buying it Friday and ill post pics
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #34
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Thank you sir. If all goes well ill be buying it Friday and ill post pics
Grats! One more think about the starting procedure that took me a little while to figure out. When you put it into neutral wait for the 0 to stop flashing before you crank.

S4 is what I drive in, too. Play with all the modes, though. And do the SMG reset after you get the car so it can learn your driving style. Get up to 40ish, throw it into neutral, hold down both paddles for a few seconds, then put it back into gear. Don't hit the gas until it's back into gear.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
msane3

My Ride: 2007 335i
I think everyone has already summarized why smg is awesome.
I like having to explain to people that the car does, in fact, have a clutch and is a full manual car, but just computer controlled, and hydraulically actuated. It blows people's minds. When they see the paddles on the steering wheel when they get in the car, they say they feel like they are in a race car. Whenever someone sits in my front seat, they say they feel like they are in a rocket ship because you're just hands to the wheel as you're blasting through gears. I think once my car gets too tired, I will buy another steel gray smg.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
illestminimike

Happy Thanksgiving to all you SMG owners.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
I really enjoy owning a piece of bmw's racing technology. Yea its got its problems and 6 speed is definitely more connected, but this is what they were winning races with. Love it or hate it, its part of bmw's history.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #38
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
So what's the deal on the smg failure? Not trying to bash at all but I haven't seem any easy, cheap fix for this. Is there one? Someone earlier said it was a somewhat simple system.
This thread is making me almost consider one.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 11-22-2012 at 10:09 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #39
illestminimike

Sometimes the pump fails and it's around 3,000 to fix. But most of the time it's something stupid like a relay or $2 spring.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #40
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Is the pump really hard to fix? $3000 is a heck of a bill.