E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Right. Talking front as fronts are the regulators that often fail (due to being used more)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
KaziKai

My Ride: 2001 325i
Sorry for being a noob on this... mine just started to make crunching noises... so I did order the part.. but now my issue is my driver front door has SRS on it.. Do I unplug my battery or what do I do?
KaziKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
@ Kazikai. I have changed my window regulators many time over the years, and I can tell you what I have done that works for me. First, when you say you ordered the part--I am assuming you mean the window regulator. I do not disconnect the airbag--but am very careful about working around it. I disconnect the battery, remove the inside panels, unscrew the airbag unit and with a rope hang it carefully (via a sling) from the mirror to keep it out of the way. I read somewhere that the airbag unit has power in it for about 10 minutes after the battery is disconnected--so allow for that. I am very careful not to knock and hit the airbag unit in any way. After replacing the window regulator, I re-attach the airbag unit but do not put the inside molding in place. First connect the battery and do a test run to make sure everything in the door was done properly and works. I then connect carefully put back the rain guard plastic. The plastic MUST be put back perfectly--OR YOU WILL have a pool of water on your floor when it rains. I always am very careful when removing the rain guard plastic, and reseal it using the original and sometime new sealer. After a few regulators --what I do now is use a hair dryer to heat up the original glue to have it reattach--works great. But I normally spend 20 minutes or so in heating up the plastic and glue behind it to make sure it binds properly. If you do disconnect the Airbag wires (I do not do that), I understand that you will get error code when done, and do not recall the procedure for clearing that or if the dealer needs to clear it. Someone else can comment on that. My recommendation is not to disconnect the Airbag unit--just hang it to the side--BUT do disconnect the battery.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #24
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
As long as the battery is disconnected you can unplug and reinstall the airbag without getting a light, if you connect battery while the airbag is disconnected it will generate the SRS light because it sees it missing.
I had to replace one in a pinch on a Sunday when I was flying out Monday morning, with no opportunity to wait for an OEM what I found was Autozone regulators (Dorman) have a lifetime warranty, we will see what the reliability is, its been fine for the last two months.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clips, opinion, regulator, window