E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #221
Honro

My Ride: M3 E46
After getting solicitors involved, BMW agreed to fix mine at their cost. The fight initially was going bad for me until I got legal advice.

Of course messing around with ride height, wheel sizes etc, it ill put more strain on the subframe, but again it will just cause the damage to happen sooner. As I mentioned, mine was bone STOCK when I noticed the cracks. As 02PRUV has mentioned it affected a wide range of models. Not just M3's. Ive even seen it in verts, and ive personally seen a 325 that had bigger cracks then mine on the host :/

What I CAN confirm is though, if your car is less then 10 years old, you can force BMW to fix it at no cost. - However, you might need to get a solicitor to do the fighting for you...

What I cant stress enough is what Alan said, if cracks happen they will go from tiny to huge in a VERY short time. Its a good idea to have you mechanic to check it out at every service, and don't just check your rear mounts either, my cracks were on the front 2 mounts where you need a cavity camera to get in there to have a look.

- MOD LIST -
- ESS VT550 SUPERCHARGER @ 307rwkw | KW V2 Coil Overs | 20' Vertini Hennisy Wheels - 20x 8.5F & 20x10R -

Watch My S/C Install Vid Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCnA...ature=g-user-u
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #222
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
What I CAN confirm is though, if your car is less then 10 years old, you can force BMW to fix it at no cost. - However, you might need to get a solicitor to do the fighting for you...
Yep I remember this. I must have read this from a thread I believe you made when you got your sub-frame fixed.

Last edited by ating; 11-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
ating is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #223
selien
davconelectric gaycar maker

My Ride: 330CI
<3 my imune vert.. suckers!

Looking through all the posts on e46 fanatics, am yet to find a affected vert post '00-'01.

Interesting thread with a list of affected cars and location below.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...6#post11009796

selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #224
tomb25

My Ride: BMW 323i
Just found out over the weekend that my subframe has crack pretty bad. I first noticed the clunk about 2 weeks ago, i initially thought it was my exhaust as it had just been removed for the guibo replacement. My car is a 99' 323i and judging by the comments it looks like i have zero chance of BMW fixing it.

Should i get it fixed and the TMS re-enforcement plates installed at the same time? Or just fix the crack?

Images
http://i.imgur.com/m2rDx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Gm0lg.jpg

Last edited by tomb25; 11-13-2012 at 05:52 AM.
tomb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #225
ating

^ ugh...sorry to hear, that looks pretty bad how many kms has your car done? hard driving?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #226
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb25 View Post
Just found out over the weekend that my subframe has crack pretty bad. I first noticed the clunk about 2 weeks ago, i initially thought it was my exhaust as it had just been removed for the guibo replacement. My car is a 99' 323i and judging by the comments it looks like i have zero chance of BMW fixing it.

Should i get it fixed and the TMS re-enforcement plates installed at the same time? Or just fix the crack?

Images
http://i.imgur.com/m2rDx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Gm0lg.jpg
Ouch! If it's only a 323 I probably wouldn't worry about tearing it again. If you're planning on SC'ing it or doing an engine swap then reinforcement is probably a good idea.

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #227
tomb25

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
^ ugh...sorry to hear, that looks pretty bad how many kms has your car done? hard driving?
194,000, i've only had the car since 160,000 and i don't really drive hard. Going to europe for 2 months next week so that will hopefully make me forget about it.
tomb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #228
[SeN]

My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola Red
Dude sorry to see that man

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Bimmer App

Bilstein PSS10 /// Vorshlag Camber Plates /// Turner Motorsports RSM /// Rogue Engineering Octane SSK w. ZHP gear knob /// Dice MediaBridge 1500
[SeN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #229
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Going for a full subframe inspection tomorrow, either going to come out of it happy or incredibly depressed.

If its all good I get to keep on enjoying my M
If its bad - ill have to redraw on my loan - get it fully repaired and then there will be a beautiful M3 with a full subframe replacement and 5 year warranty for sale soon after haha.

Nervous wait.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #230
ating

^ why are u getting a full inspection? for peace of mind? or are there symptoms?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #231
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
^ why are u getting a full inspection? for peace of mind? or are there symptoms?
Peace of mind cause its going in for a oil change and replacing my idle pulley. There is the occasional clunk going in my driveway dropping down to first but pretty sure that's the gearbox and one of those beautiful M sounds
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #232
DesiredM

Well my right side has a 10cm crack....I'm f**king pissed.

Ill be repairing the crack and reinforcing it, giving it a full service and replacing the water pump as its starting to go then selling it so if anyone is interested let me know.

Last edited by DesiredM; 11-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #233
[SeN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
Well my right side has a 10cm crack....I'm f**king pissed.
Dang, sorry to hear that man.
Where did you go to get your subframe looked at?

Bilstein PSS10 /// Vorshlag Camber Plates /// Turner Motorsports RSM /// Rogue Engineering Octane SSK w. ZHP gear knob /// Dice MediaBridge 1500
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #234
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SeN] View Post
Dang, sorry to hear that man.
Where did you go to get your subframe looked at?
BEMW in castle hill, great people would recommend them.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #235
[SeN]

Ah, I thought you were in Vic.
Did they find the crack at the rear or front of the subframe mount.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #236
ating

Ahh damn, sorry to hear that. How long did they take to do the thorough check? I only get mine briefly checked with each service, but now I'm worried. Maybe I should get a full thorough check? Are you going to attempt to get BMW Australia to fix it for you? I'd at least try...worth a go...
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #237
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SeN] View Post
Ah, I thought you were in Vic.
Did they find the crack at the rear or front of the subframe mount.
Bought the car in Vic and drove it to NSW

Turns out there is 1 5cm crack on the right side in front of the mount and then a hairline crack near the right mount to the side and on the left there is a hairline crack on the inner side of the mount. So 3 cracks in total - the guys here weld up the cracks and install a reinforcement kit so should be ok but is still around a $4000 job.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #238
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
Bought the car in Vic and drove it to NSW

Turns out there is 1 5cm crack on the right side in front of the mount and then a hairline crack near the right mount to the side and on the left there is a hairline crack on the inner side of the mount. So 3 cracks in total - the guys here weld up the cracks and install a reinforcement kit so should be ok but is still around a $4000 job.
i am not sure if you are handy with the tools, but if you wanna save money maybe get the whole back end stripped on your own. then maybe call a mobile welder to weld the reinforcement plates in and then put it all back together...cant see it being a $4000 job
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #239
Honro

My Ride: M3 E46
How long have you had it? Did you buy the car privately?

If you bought it from a dealer, go get your money back.

- MOD LIST -
- ESS VT550 SUPERCHARGER @ 307rwkw | KW V2 Coil Overs | 20' Vertini Hennisy Wheels - 20x 8.5F & 20x10R -

Watch My S/C Install Vid Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCnA...ature=g-user-u
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #240
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
How long have you had it? Did you buy the car privately?

If you bought it from a dealer, go get your money back.
I got it from a dealer in VIC but had to sign a stat warranty waver form to get my 5 year warranty. I've had it just over 3 months :s

Tags
litigation