E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
GT172I

My Ride: 2004 330Ci, 335is
Non-HP street pads? (will have dedicated track pads)

So I know there's a ton of helpful threads on track pads and even good recommendations for decent compromise pads, but I can't find much on what you guys are running on the street when you're not sporting the track pads.

I cooked the last of my Porterfield R4S rears on my last track day. I liked them but definitely noticed the compromise, not as good on the street as my OEM pads on the other 330 and I was reaching their limits on the track. That said I am looking for a replacement street pad since I'll also be buying dedicated track pads in the near future for next year's track season. (I'm likely buying ATE blanks and either PFC 06 or Cobalt Friction XR2)

Since these will be street only pads I don't need the higher temp tolerance of the combo/compromise pads. Basically I'm looking for high initial (cold) bite and preferably low dust but not necessary since I know those two are generally contradictory. I'm hoping this is easier to find since it doesn't need to be the high performance across everything only on the street low temp aspect.

I know there are always compromises when picking a pad since you can't have it all so my priority ranking is:
1. Initial cold bite
2. Low/no noise/squeal
3. Low dust
4. Low wear (on rotor)
5. Track/high-heat performance

From that list it looks like an OEM equivalent with less dust would suit my needs. If you guys have any experience/recommendations to offer it would be much appreciated!
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
GT172I

OK I realize dust is unavoidable and thankfully I have Wheel Wax and will put on a new coat with the new pads. Is there something with better street performance than OEM (even with same/more dusting)?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Bayerische E46

My Ride: -
Carbotech 1521 pads. http://ctbrakes.com/

PN(F): CT946 ($164)
PN(R): CT683 ($152)

Low dust, no noise, etc. Very good initial bite. Call Carbotech up and ask to speak with "Mike Jr." to ask him any other pertinent questions. Tell them you go to the track with Chin Motorsports and you'll get your 5% discount.

Note: I currently have the step up from the 1521 (i.e. the AX6) on my street cars and they make an unbearable amount of dust and noise. The dust is thick, sticky, and quite nearly impossible to remove from the wheels if it's been on for more than a few weeks. Plus, the AX6 is the autocross pad so you really need a little heat in them to get them going good. I usually start my day by dragging the pads a bit and doing some medium-pressure, low speed "bites;" if I don't, they just hardly work (i.e. you REALLY have to give the pedal a pretty good workout to get the pads to bite). My next set will be the 1521s without question and based on what you're looking for out of a pad I'd absolutely recommend the same to you. I strongly suspect Mike Jr. will say the same.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Bayerische E46; 11-21-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Bayerische E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
da Vinci

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
I have used a lot of pads and switch back and forth between street/autox and track pads quite a bit.

Carbotech are great pads, but you HAVE to change rotors when you go from track pads back to street pads. I had XP10 for the track and 1521 Bob Cats for the street. When I left the track and switched back to the Bob Cats I had no brakes. I sanded the rotors and the brakes still sucked. I was blowing all my brake zones in autox races until I media blasted the rotors and re-bedded the bob cats. The AX6 may have been a better choice for autox and may have worked better with the XP10's, but the AX6 are noisy on the street.

I had good luck with HAWK DTC-60 on the track and DTC-30 on the street and autox, but the 30's are noisy, dusty, and a bit hard on the rotors.

You can use Ferodo DS2500 for the street and DS3000 on the track, but they are expensive and the track pads do not last.

Currently I am using Performance Friction Z-Rated on the street/autox and 06's on the track. The Z-Rated have been great, low dust, little to no noise, good bite. I have only been to the track once with the PFC 06 pads and they were great, never faded, good bite, not real linear, but still consistent. I was not pushing too hard as it was an open track day not a race. When I switched back to the Z-Rated pads I did have to get them hot and bed them again to get them working like before. The season ended so I have not been in another autox since my track day so I can not say the Z-Rated are 100% back. They do feel fine on the street.

I have experience with a lot of Wilwood pads, but probably no need to go into those.

Hope this helps.

Click here for my Build Thread
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Last edited by da Vinci; 11-22-2012 at 12:57 AM.
da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
GT172I

Thanks for the advice guys and I will be swapping rotors too da Vinci so am not too worried about maintaining compatible compounds. Those Carbotech 1521's were on my list so glad to hear you like their line and thanks for the insider discount. Anybody have actual experience with them?

Same with the PF Z-rated, which I was initially leaning towards but after reading a few threads about them being used on the track with good results I'm worried they sacrifice on basic street performance and would be similar to my previous Porterfield R4S's. It's tough having two nearly identical cars so I can feel the comparitive difference very easily between the 03 on OEM's and the 04 on R4S.

The other pad I'm considering would be EBC Redstuff, from a coworker in an S2000 who got me into tracking in the first place. Anybody here have good e46 experiences?

Thanks again for everybody's time/input!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Bayerische E46

I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. You don't need to upgrade rotors. Indeed, I had OEM blanks with XP8s on my racecar and the rotors never gave me problems (plus, my racecar is a 325 so it had smaller rotors than your 330). Honestly, get OEM blanks, 1521s (or something comparable), and be done with it.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
GT172I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische E46 View Post
I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. You don't need to upgrade rotors. Indeed, I had OEM blanks with XP8s on my racecar and the rotors never gave me problems (plus, my racecar is a 325 so it had smaller rotors than your 330). Honestly, get OEM blanks, 1521s (or something comparable), and be done with it.
Right, I think there's a misunderstanding about what I'm asking. I am not upgrading my rotors and will be buying plain blanks for whichever track pad I select. I need the street pads to go with my current slotted rotors so I don't need compatible compounds sharing the same rotor. The 1521 comparable is what I'm wondering

Forgive my ignorance but are Carbotech 1521 and 1521 Bobcats the same thing?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Bayerische E46

I see what you mean. I honestly don't know what the difference is between the CT and the BC pads. I'd stick with the CTs, though.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
GT172I

Sounds good, thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
magnetic1

My Ride: MysticPair
Bobcats and 1521 are the same thing. I wouldnt run Bobcats on the track though, they will glaze.

PFC Z-rated are ok for all around pad, but you'll be leaving performance on the table for the track. Just swap pads and be done with it. PFC01/06/08 on track and PFC Z-rated for street/autoX.
2004 Mystic Blue #121 NASA GTS3 Racecar
2003.5 Mystic Blue Street Car
magnetic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
GT172I

Yeah, that's what I discovered from a bit more research also. I ended up deciding to go PFC Z-Rated for the rears and keep as a combo pad. This way I will only be swapping the fronts as my dedicated street and track set up per a couple of GrayGhost's posts I found. I'm still leaning towards either PFC 06/08 or Cobalt Friction XR2's as the track pad on blanks and for street will do my leftover OEMs once the Porterfield R4S's wear out on the front. Appreciate the input guys, hope to see some of you at a SE track event next year.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Eric W

My Ride: 02 AA M3, 02 325ci
You are basically looking for exactly what I'm looking for in a street pad. I'm still undecided on which I should choose? See my thread below,

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958274
Eric W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
GT172I

^Replied in your thread