E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
What's everyone's opinions on the new golf gti and R??

Ok so not sure if everyone knows but found out my M3's subframe is cracked. I'm currently trying to get the dealer which I purchased it off to fix it as it falls under a breech of stat warranty but we will see how it goes.

Anyway either way the car will get fixed and I'm probably going to sell it as I don't want to drive a car that ill constantly worried about - just can't enjoy it even though I love the car and don't want to let it go.

Anyway I'm looking at getting something reliable which I can enjoy without worrying and won't cost me tons of money to maintain so whats everyone's opinions?
I'm looking at
Golf R/GTI
Toyota 86
BMW 135 (how reliable are they, or will it cost just as much as an M to maintain?)
Nissan 370GT (not sure about this one)

Anyone have any other suggestions or opinions?

Also once the M is repaired it will be a great purchase for someone - repaired and reinforced subframe and a 5 year warranty on the car. Yes I know it would sound like its worry free after its fixed I just can't live with the issues it can bring and probably need something a little more responsible for my DD and my fiancÚ as a child may be on the way soon.

Thanks all!!!
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
wc325i

My Ride: stick 330
Don't get a GTI, their good cars but there's just way too many on the road nowadays.
wc325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc325i View Post
Don't get a GTI, their good cars but there's just way too many on the road nowadays.
If I got a GTI it would be a 2011/12 model - if I get an R it would be a 2010 model. But wow a golf R with apr stage 1 tune beats a M3?? So very tempting.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Golf R > Gti. Have you considered a Scirocco? They are awesome.
Also don't get an 86, you will be dissapointed with its lack of power. What about a 2012 WRX? Or 370Z?
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but I am impressed with the Veloster Turbo too lol.

Last edited by steve.k; 11-24-2012 at 06:40 AM.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.k View Post
Golf R > Gti. Have you considered a Scirocco? They are awesome.
Also don't get an 86, you will be dissapointed with its lack of power. What about a 2012 WRX? Or 370Z?
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but I am impressed with the Veloster Turbo too lol.
Yeah I looked at the scirocco however the power it has and just FWD kind of kills it for me and the golf is cheaper and can handle mods better due to its AWD system. The WRXs are good but I see the VW to be more reliable and hold its value more, although I could be wrong. Wouldn't do a 370z cause of the 2 seats
My budget is roughly 40-45k so need to find something within that

Haha my fiancÚ is actually getting a veloster turbo so ill have the joy of that to :p
Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
wc325i

My Ride: stick 330
+1 for Golf R.
Suspension, apr stage 1 and its a monster already !! Maybe get Haldex as well not sure if Golf R needs it though, but i know they're really good for r32

Last edited by wc325i; 11-24-2012 at 07:09 AM.
wc325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
LSM3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
Golf R's and GTI's are cool - i have a lot of friends with them, however they all have some sort of mechanical issues and a lot of them have oil consumption issues. I'd never own a VW or Audi out of warranty.

2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
MY10 Golf R > MY12 GTI (unless you enjoy axel tramp)

There are quite a few tuners not only APR and some good forums with plenty of build threads with tried and tested mods

Coilovers > haldex (I have both)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
135i. Inline turbo six and RWD. What more do you need?
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
abbas_m3

My Ride: bmw m3
2010 sti ? Will most likely kill all the cars you mentioned, leather, navigation and imo the sedan looks beautiful.

My mate just bought a golf R, honestly it's a really nice car, however at the end it's just a golf.

Then there's there 135i and 335i personally would go for a 335i.

I'm also in the same boat, getting rid of my M3, still don't know what to go for :/
abbas_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_DU View Post
135i. Inline turbo six and RWD. What more do you need?
They are great cars, I have always loved them but after reading so many issues they have outside of warranty it makes me very hesitant to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_m3 View Post
2010 sti ? Will most likely kill all the cars you mentioned, leather, navigation and imo the sedan looks beautiful.

My mate just bought a golf R, honestly it's a really nice car, however at the end it's just a golf.

Then there's there 135i and 335i personally would go for a 335i.

I'm also in the same boat, getting rid of my M3, still don't know what to go for :/
The wrx sti would be a great car but they have a registered 0-100 time of 5.3 seconds so it's only slightly faster then a golf R however any stage 1 tune on the golf puts it at 0-100 in 4.9-5.1 seconds which is pretty good for such a small car.

It will be hard coming off an M3 to find something that excites me as much as it does - I think my top 3 choices right now are golf r, wrx and a evo but it's hard to look past a golf even if it is just a golf haha.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
They are great cars, I have always loved them but after reading so many issues they have outside of warranty it makes me very hesitant to get one.

The wrx sti would be a great car but they have a registered 0-100 time of 5.3 seconds so it's only slightly faster then a golf R however any stage 1 tune on the golf puts it at 0-100 in 4.9-5.1 seconds which is pretty good for such a small car.

It will be hard coming off an M3 to find something that excites me as much as it does - I think my top 3 choices right now are golf r, wrx and a evo but it's hard to look past a golf even if it is just a golf haha.
Buy a new gti. You seem scared of repair so new will enable you to drive without concern for pocket hurt.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
Nath

Or buy a R that has factory warranty remaining and extend it for a further 3 years..
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
DesiredM

Yeah apparently I can get a 2010 R and extend the warranty at VW for another 3 years for $2000 which isn't bad?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
135/335 out of warranty isn't that bad. Main issues are: Fuel pump - 350, spark plugs - 100 a set, injectors - 200 each, coil pack - can't remember. All iirc cause i never had the above issues with mine

Plenty of tuned n54s getting around at 260-280rwkw with the above consumables being the main things to change sooner than normal.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #16
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
I'm not talking about cars in general, but if you can get a BMW with BMW warranty, that would be a great purchase. In my experience their warranty has been superb and no hassles. I cannot comment on other dealers however.

Anyway, just get a e60 m5. Love that sound.

Maloo seems to do alright on the top great track

Maybe it's time for a fourbie.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
abbas_m3

My Ride: bmw m3
Quote:

Realistically the STI does 0-100 in around 5 flat, maybe a little faster. Just adding a exhaust and tune would pull an extra 40kw of power to the wheels, and the torque would be immense. Never really heard of any problems from these new sti's ?

Should have a look at one. If the Golf-R is what your looking for then go ahead, however I reckon it's to much money for what it is.
abbas_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
Nath

Quote:
Yeah apparently I can get a 2010 R and extend the warranty at VW for another 3 years for $2000 which isn't bad?
Correct, it's what I did
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_m3 View Post
Realistically the STI does 0-100 in around 5 flat, maybe a little faster. Just adding a exhaust and tune would pull an extra 40kw of power to the wheels, and the torque would be immense. Never really heard of any problems from these new sti's ?

Should have a look at one. If the Golf-R is what your looking for then go ahead, however I reckon it's to much money for what it is.
With a Golf R you buy something that is super quick, all the creature comforts etc without the STi image and stereotype, even if it is a 2012 model. You could cruise down anywhere in the Golf and not have to worry about cops stopping you for a "RBT" and leaving with a defect cos the w*nker doesn't know a stock exhaust and wheels from his elbow.

It is a little bit of a sleeper and has some cachet and respectability attached to it which the STi (boy racer, young hoon etc) does not. And, if you look as youthful as you say you do in other threads......

As far as cars go, the STi and Golf are both excellent choices and the decision will come down to your own preferences.

There are some good choices listed here and you'll just have to see what you want - just sporty (86 / 135 / 370Z) or sporty and practical (Golf R).

Good luck!

PS - what are the details on your M3?

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
With a Golf R you buy something that is super quick, all the creature comforts etc without the STi image and stereotype, even if it is a 2012 model. You could cruise down anywhere in the Golf and not have to worry about cops stopping you for a "RBT" and leaving with a defect cos the w*nker doesn't know a stock exhaust and wheels from his elbow.

It is a little bit of a sleeper and has some cachet and respectability attached to it which the STi (boy racer, young hoon etc) does not. And, if you look as youthful as you say you do in other threads......

As far as cars go, the STi and Golf are both excellent choices and the decision will come down to your own preferences.

There are some good choices listed here and you'll just have to see what you want - just sporty (86 / 135 / 370Z) or sporty and practical (Golf R).

Good luck!

PS - what are the details on your M3?

They are both great cars just very different in looks but similar in performance, I'd have to test drive a few cars and see what appeals to me the most though - but a golf r does seem to be the most appealing and is good money for what you get.

The details of my current M3
Carbon Black with black interior
The car is completely stock, SMG and I'm the 3rd owner.
It has 110,000kms on the clock.
No accident history and clean title.
Solid service history and a lot of preventative maintenance has been done - the subframe will be repaired/reinforced and bushings all replaced ($5000 cost) which is a massive plus for any potential buyer and also comes with a little under 5 years left on the warranty which covers every mechanical aspect of the car (everything from the engine all the way down to window motors).

Only bad points I can see with the car is the bumper has stone chips on the lips from the PO and where he lived/drove obviously had lose rocks. And there is a small dent in the passenger side door but I will be getting that repaired. There's a few small scratches but you would expect that with a 10 year old car.

Ill be listing it for $40k Ono