E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #61
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
The hardest part of the bench is getting it off your chest, not locking it out, so no, it isn't the most important factor.
Think about this. Who's arms will be lower when the bar is on the chest. The guy with the shorter arms or the longer arms? Think elbow angle. A short armed lifter may have more of a right angle to the arm whereas the long armed lifter will be pushing from much deeper. That alone makes it harder for the long armed lifter to get the bar off the chest. It's the same idea when people bench without going down all the way to the chest. They want to lift more so they shorten the movement. I do agree that the top of the lift doesn't really matter though.

Last edited by DylloS; 11-25-2012 at 02:46 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #62
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Think about this. Who's arms will be lower when the bar is on the chest. The guy with the shorter arms or the longer arms? Think elbow angle. A short armed lifter may have more of a right angle to the arm whereas the long armed lifter will be pushing from much deeper. That alone makes it harder for the long armed lifter to get the bar off the chest. It's the same idea when people bench without going down all the way to the chest. They want to lift more so they shorten the movement. I do agree that the top of the lift doesn't really matter though.

IMHO, it's not about the bar being on the chest. To me, the hardest part about benching is controlling the load on the way down and controlling the load on the way up while keeping my form intact. Sure, the guy with the longer arms may have a further distance to push (..and I use the term "may" because longer limbs mean a different grip position than what is used by someone with shorter limbs; it's all a wash in my opinion. Benching is more variable, unlike....say, a squat or deadlift), but what needs to be done to move the weight is the same regardless of the height of the individual.

To further clarify, there are multiple rings on a standard issue 45 lb. bar. Where I grip the bar (...just outside of shoulder width, pinky fingers or ring fingers on the closest ring from the smooth centered portion of the bar) is different than where my taller, longer limbed buddy grips (..his grip is much wider and closer to the outer ring). Our travel distance is about the same...

....and he puts up more weight than I do, and my bench numbers are strong.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-25-2012 at 04:03 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #63
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
IMHO, it's not about the bar being on the chest. To me, the hardest part about benching is controlling the load on the way down and controlling the load on the way up while keeping my form intact. Sure, the guy with the longer arms may have a further distance to push (..and I use the term "may" because longer limbs mean a different grip position than what is used by someone with shorter limbs; it's all a wash in my opinion. Benching is more variable, unlike....say, a squat or deadlift), but what needs to be done to move the way is the same regardless of the height of the individual.

To further clarify, there are multiple rings on a standard issue 45 lb. bar. Where I grip the bar (...just outside of shoulder width, pinky fingers or ring fingers on the closest ring from the smooth centered portion of the bar) is different than where my taller, longer limbed buddy grips (..his grip is much wider and closer to the outer ring). Our travel distance is about the same...

....and he puts up more weight than I do, and my bench numbers are strong.
That is a good point and I do think it varies from person to person but I think in a vacuum the guys with longer arms will usually lift a little less. It's really not much to worry about though. I don't think a few inches in arms will equal more than a few lbs.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #64
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
That is a good point and I do think it varies from person to person but I think in a vacuum the guys with longer arms will usually lift a little less. It's really not much to worry about though. I don't think a few inches in arms will equal more than a few lbs.
I also feel like the stronger the back, the better the bench. The lats/rear delts are significant components of the bench press. In fact, my lats handle majority of the load during the eccentric phase of the press.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-25-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #65
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
See I don't know how you can make that argument. It's just ONE variable out of many, and almost sounds like an excuse for people with long arms so they can have a reason. What about guys with less body fat compared to you/more muscle? Guys that weigh more than you? Guys that have better form and can breathe better? What about guy's that are short and deadlift more...is it cause they have shorter limbs? Or cause they are actually just stronger? Not to sound like a dick, but that's just what it sounds like, an excuse.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #66
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
My bench is embarrassing. That's really all I have to add to this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing

Last edited by dwass325; 11-25-2012 at 05:31 PM.
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #67
dwass325

Quote:
See I don't know how you can make that argument. It's just ONE variable out of many, and almost sounds like an excuse for people with long arms so they can have a reason. What about guys with less body fat compared to you/more muscle? Guys that weigh more than you? Guys that have better form and can breathe better? What about guy's that are short and deadlift more...is it cause they have shorter limbs? Or cause they are actually just stronger? Not to sound like a dick, but that's just what it sounds like, an excuse.
His point is legitimate, if not fully elaborated. A lot of taller guys aren't proportionately large, in that they have comparatively small joints. Small joints are good for aesthetics, bad for big numbers. A number of promising bodybuilding careers have been cut short due to this. Sort of a "quod me nutrit me destruit" thing.

A 6'+ strongman athlete and a 6'+ endurance athlete look very different. Look at Derek Poundstone versus Michael Phelps, for example. There's a 3" difference in height, but the joint issue is still evident.

Now, with that said, does it prevent longer-limbed guys from benching decent numbers? No, certainly not. But to suggest that limb length is solely a cop-out is equally ignorant as suggesting it's the only factor.

It's also easier to take positions that benefit us, and is worth noting that you're below average height and don't have slight joints, so perhaps your view on it is a bit skewed.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #68
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
His point is legitimate, if not fully elaborated. A lot of taller guys aren't proportionately large, in that they have comparatively small joints. Small joints are good for aesthetics, bad for big numbers. A number of promising bodybuilding careers have been cut short due to this. Sort of a "quod me nutrit me destruit" thing.

A 6'+ strongman athlete and a 6'+ endurance athlete look very different. Look at Derek Poundstone versus Michael Phelps, for example. There's a 3" difference in height, but the joint issue is still evident.

Now, with that said, does it prevent longer-limbed guys from benching decent numbers? No, certainly not. But to suggest that limb length is solely a cop-out is equally ignorant as suggesting it's the only factor.

It's also easier to take positions that benefit us, and is worth noting that you're below average height and don't have slight joints, so perhaps your view on it is a bit skewed.

To be fair though, the sheer thickness makes the power-lifters limbs appear shorter, but if he didn't have the muscle mass he'd look very different. Add 50+ lbs. of muscle to Phelps' frame and his limbs would look short too.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #69
dwass325

Quote:
To be fair though, the sheer thickness makes the power-lifters limbs appear shorter, but if he didn't have the muscle mass he'd look very different. Add 50+ lbs. of muscle to Phelps' frame and his limbs would look short too.
While your point is completely valid, my point with the pictures was solely about joint thickness.

Quote:

Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #70
DylloS

Quote:
We're not talking about all those things. We're just talking about how arm length affects the lifts. I do 100% agree that their are a ton of variables though.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #71
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
My bench is embarrassing. That's really all I have to add to this discussion.
You still putting up 135 lbs.?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #72
dwass325

Quote:
You still putting up 135 lbs.?
At least!

Quote:

Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #73
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
We're not talking about all those things. We're just talking about how arm length affects the lifts. I do 100% agree that their are a ton of variables though.
Yes, I agreed and said it plays SOME role, but not a "huge part" that was said before, and blaming the reason someone can't put up big numbers being cause they have short limbs is ignorant.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #74
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Not really. To a certain extend, but not a "huge role"...blaming poor bench numbers is a way to make an excuse and blame it on something else.
Written poorly I agree... I just wanted to point out the fact height does factor into pushing lifts, not using it as an excuse.

Quote:
Your height isn't your problem. It's your workouts (..and quite possibly your form)!
You have to remember, I've had 2 years of proper training where I've gone from a pitiful bench of 95 lbs to 160 lbs, not amazing progress but there's still progress there to discuss. Long road ahead but that's why I get your guys input on workouts so I can do whats best for me. Didn't want that to come across as an excuse, but when I re-read it it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
don't question him, he's an expert in everything.
you mad bro? seriously. I do my best to help others with the knowledge I have gained by researching health & fitness topics. You just seem to troll, what a great contribution... If you disagree with things I say, why don't you create an intelligent debate like everyone else?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #75
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
You have to remember, I've had 2 years of proper training where I've gone from a pitiful bench of 95 lbs to 160 lbs, not amazing progress but there's still progress there to discuss. Long road ahead but that's why I get your guys input on workouts so I can do whats best for me. Didn't want that to come across as an excuse, but when I re-read it it does.

There is no doubt that you are dedicated. That much cannot be disputed!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #76
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
There is no doubt that you are dedicated. That much cannot be disputed!
Thanks, I think I am in for the long haul. Dedicated... Minus the 32oz of beer + 10 shots on friday
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #77
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Thanks, I think I am in for the long haul. Dedicated... Minus the 32oz of beer + 10 shots on friday
There's a video of me chugging half a pitcher of eggnog and rum after eating my friends chimichanga after going to the bars the other night.

I promised him I wouldn't eat it and I beat him to the fridge and the egg nog was my punishment.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #78
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
it depends on a lot more things, but it is easy to put truth to the stereotype that the guys with the shorter arms seem to be able to do the most bench.
Of course they can.. it's simple physics. Which is why it's funny when you have a 5'5 guy taunting a dude who is 6'5 and has a two foot larger wingspan.

If you're tiny, you have to push the weight a much shorter distance. A much taller guy pushing an equivalent amount of weight is doing significantly more work. It's no different than the old notion that "the outside of a record is spinning faster than the inner portions". And not only is the distance an issue, but you also have the angle at which the bar hits your chest... dependent upon how "thick" your body is and the length of your arms, that angle will be much different. If you're a thinner guy with longer arms (like myself) your angle will be much steeper... if you're a thicker guy with short arms, you have much less work to do throughout the lift and your angle will be advantageous.

Regardless, I wouldn't trade a single one of my 75 inches for additional weight on a bench press.

Lastly, I've noticed people talking entirely different numbers in here. Some are mentioning their workout weights (10, 8, 6) which is what I did... others are talking max. Anybody making fun of anyone else's numbers is just a dbag.. if people are trying to continually improve, that should be celebrated (regardless of the mark). Would you mock a fat guy for "not losing weight fast enough?". Of course not.

EDIT: FWIW, can anyone in here say they would actually take the strongman look over Phelps or other "cut" athletes? I know I'd take a WR or DB body type over a LB or offensive lineman any day of the week.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 11-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #79
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
I was 180-185 putting up 245x6 when I stopped.

Haven't hit the gym in a month and a half, currently at 190. Can't wait to be done with school so I can get back into it.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion

Last edited by DME46; 11-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #80
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
EDIT: FWIW, can anyone in here say they would actually take the strongman look over Phelps or other "cut" athletes? I know I'd take a WR or DB body type over a LB or offensive lineman any day of the week.
Depends on what your goals are. I would love to lift heavy and have a slender lean build, though.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote