E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
E46 coupe revamp

So, I'm almost done. Just waiting on my mybimmer double DIN bezel to show up. Everything else is done.

I started with a Dynavin D99. My particular unit was fine with the factory H/K setup, but proved to be defective after connecting it to my new setup. Jeff took care of me on that. If you are going to buy a Dynavin get it from Jeff. He has been incredibly accomodating and helpful.

If you are looking for a high end system and want to go with a Dynavin that will work, but plan to include an outboard DSP because the Dynavin is a little limited when it comes to DSP and EQ functions, so it can make it hard to make the most of your components.

I ultimately replaced my Dynavin with a Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD. It's a double DIN unit and it required some work with the factory HVAC system to fit properly and keep the factory HVAC functionality.

I'm very happy with it since the Garmin Nav just works, and the EQ / DSP functions are right there on the screen. The ability to adjust your gains and frequencies etc on the fly makes a huge difference if you listen to as many genres of music as I do.

We backed this up with a Kenwood Excelon Class-D 5-channel amp that fit nicely in the factory amp location. That is feeding Hertz Hi-Energy components upfront, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" coaxials in back and a 10" Kenwood Excelon Sub in a magicbox in the trunk.

There was a healthy dose of dynamat involved in all of this as well.

The star of all of this has to be the Hertz components. They are not a well known brand, and they are really expensive, but they make this setup shine. I am blown away every time I get in the car. Nothing I can throw at them tests them. Highly recommended - you will not do better than Hertz Hi-Energy HSK-165's for your front components for the money.

The Dynavin is still a good plug and play option, since adding the double din is a lot of work. I ended up spending 3X what I originally planned and did the double DIN, and it is what I wanted from the outset. A system that sounds phenomenal and balanced. Couldnt be happier.

Check out the install and writeup here:

http://specializedcaraudioinc.com/?p=487

PS, Mike at Specialized is a great guy to work with. If you are in the Chicago area look him up. He knows your BMW.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Very nice job! I hope to have a solid end result, similar to you- soon!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
RJDaly28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Very nice job! I hope to have a solid end result, similar to you- soon!

Thanks! Good luck on your build!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Do you notice any noise from the Kenwood 5 channel? Is it as airy as an AB amplifier? I'm on the AB/D fence so to speak.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
RJDaly28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Do you notice any noise from the Kenwood 5 channel? Is it as airy as an AB amplifier? I'm on the AB/D fence so to speak.
No, no noise at all. It's very clean and has plenty of power. I was a little concerned about it being a D class myself, but it sounds great and just the right size to fit in the factory amp location. I am very happy with it. A solid choice IMHO.