E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
love this manifold. Welds seem to be beautiful.

man, dont sell these, they look like peace of art.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
deleted posts ftw
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
HPF Kris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: My Dreams
Turbo Manifold has been added to our website. It'll be an additional $1,400 to upgrade to the DOC Race manifold. Come snag yours today while our end of the year turbo kit sale is still going on!!

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...s/E46_M3/11037

HPF Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC_Race View Post
Heatwrap is nice to use as-well commanderwiggins!

We have used ceramic coating on the manifolds for quite a few years and really like the results we've gotten this way as far as exhaust temperature is concerned. The coating decreases that transfer quite a bit, the wrap tends to "trap" the heat in the metal from our experience.
I have notice this as well but there is one down fall using ceramic coating on a turbo applications. Most Common Ceramic Coating can handle up to 1300F until it start to burn off, and start loosing performance. There is also different type of Ceramics can be used as well that will handle up to 2500F

Doc Race - Could you tell us who do yall coating? What the Specs?

-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 11-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I have notice this as well but there is one down fall using ceramic coating on a turbo applications. Most Common Ceramic Coating can handle up to 1300F until it start to burn off, and start loosing performance. There is also different type of Ceramics can be used as well that will handle up to 2500F

Doc Race - Could you tell us who do yall coating? What the Specs?

-Trip
We coated this turbo manifold. Over the years we tried several coatings from several companies and all of them except for this one have deteriorated. We finally found a coating that withstands all of the abuse our customers put them through and it's been on all of our HPF turbo kits for the past 4 years. Underhood temps are extremely cool with the HPF turbo kits and this is one of the reasons why. Go to a track day and check out the underhood temps after an HPF M3 does a 30 minute session. Quite amazing.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
Providence

My Ride: HPF Stage 3 m3
Send a message via MSN to Providence
We r all waitin for the dyno pulls I guess
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
We coated this turbo manifold. Over the years we tried several coatings from several companies and all of them except for this one have deteriorated. We finally found a coating that withstands all of the abuse our customers put them through and it's been on all of our HPF turbo kits for the past 4 years. Underhood temps are extremely cool with the HPF turbo kits and this is one of the reasons why. Go to a track day and check out the underhood temps after an HPF M3 does a 30 minute session. Quite amazing.

Chris.
What's the temp difference between coated and non-coated?

My understanding is the issue with ceramic coating is that the metal will fail a lot quicker since all of the heat is trapped inside of the pipes. Any idea on the decrease in lifespan?

I'm asking because you guys probably have more experience with this. Just wanted to put that disclaimer out there so there are no mo' deleted posts.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Something holding up?
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
DOC_Race

My Ride: 03 M3
bigjae1976: With our ceramic coating experiences, we've tested surface temps of manifold tubing while loading the vehicle on the dyno and have seen temperature differences of over 500 degrees. That data is used to reference radiant heat in the engine bay.

As far as the metal failing; ceramic coating is applied to the inside of the manifold as-well as the outside. Doing this reduces the heat transfer into the tubing, which increases the life-span for heat cycles. How far or long, we haven't had a controlled test to gauge these specific results/comparisons.

E85head: We have a few different vehicle setups that are getting fitted with our Tubular Manifolds. We will be quick to share results as the cars come back together and get re-tunes!
DOC_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #30
E85head

The manifold looks great! Looking forward to see the results!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
dragosid

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
Any updates on this? Dyno sheets etc?

Pulled the trigger! Built engine + 6766 Dual BB + Open Dump + 15/23 PSI - Holy F#@$ this build is insane!

HPF Stage 2.5 - 739rwhp & 581ft-lbs SAE
best 1/4 mile (ST2) 11.77'@123mph 1.9' R/T on Toyo R888 295/30/19
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - stock
dragosid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
E85head

What happened to this?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
DOC_Race

My Ride: 03 M3
E85head: There's a few cars that are awaiting built engine installs along with the tubular manifold. Also another customer that hasn't pulled the trigger on the install of the manifold as-well; all I can do is tap my foot at this point!

I am currently moving and don't have any intention of installing the turbo system on my SMG (stock engine reference) until i'm settled in about April.

I will be sure to update ANYTHING regarding results on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46-Bottom-mount-Main-4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	491387  
DOC_Race is offline   Reply With Quote