E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
thefreeze

My Ride: 2000 323i
What detailing should I do before trying to sell my car

Can someone help me with suggestions on what detailing I should definitely do on my car before trying to sell it? I'm hoping not to have to do the entire gamut since I won't be able to enjoy the finished product for very long (hopefully), but also don't want to skimp on something that will help it sell. I'm looking for what I should do to the exterior, interior, and engine bay.
Thanks!!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5, M5 E39
Assuming you don't have a buffer?

Wash
clay bar
wash
polish
wash
wax

clean wheels, throw some "wet-look" on them

Clean exhaust tips

Clean the glass.

Vacuum the interior

Wipe down the interior

Try to clean the carpets ans seats as best as you can

Your car will NOT come out perfect, but it is a good day's worth of work, and the results will be amazing!

Good luck
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
Clean everything, Prep it, wax it. Do everything possible.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
k20z1 L

My Ride: 04 330ci
In terms of paintwork if you don't wanna go the whole nine yards I'd just wash, clay, glaze, and wax.. If you use the right stuff it should come out very nice. Just use whatever wax you have, if you're selling the car I don't know if you want to invest in a good wax. Up to you! My favorite glaze is Detail Shoppe's Wet Glaze 2.0. A nice inexpensive wax is Meguiars Ultimate. And you can find clay bars anywhere.

For the rest of the car: I'd use "Bon Ami" for the exhaust tips, it works wonders for me. 303 Aerospace is great for everything in your interior. For the engine bay just wrap up your intake & what not, spray it down and wash it. Also, I'd do some work on your trim, just get your favorite trim restorer. My favorite is Mother's. Pretty simple man, best of luck!

Last edited by k20z1 L; 11-17-2012 at 10:19 PM.
k20z1 L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Depends on the condition of your car. If you have a lot of paint defects I'd suggest having a professional detail it, it will raise the value of the car and it will sell faster. Most people will assume if the exterior and interior are in great shape you took care of mechanics as well...just my 2 cents.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
thefreeze

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by k20z1 L View Post
In terms of paintwork if you don't wanna go the whole nine yards I'd just wash, clay, glaze, and wax.. If you use the right stuff it should come out very nice. Just use whatever wax you have, if you're selling the car I don't know if you want to invest in a good wax. Up to you! My favorite glaze is Detail Shoppe's Wet Glaze 2.0. A nice inexpensive wax is Meguiars Ultimate. And you can find clay bars anywhere.

For the rest of the car: I'd use "Bon Ami" for the exhaust tips, it works wonders for me. 303 Aerospace is great for everything in your interior. For the engine bay just wrap up your intake & what not, spray it down and wash it. Also, I'd do some work on your trim, just get your favorite trim restorer. My favorite is Mother's. Pretty simple man, best of luck!
Thanks!! Out of curiosity, what's the difference between glazing and polishing?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeze View Post
Thanks!! Out of curiosity, what's the difference between glazing and polishing?
A glaze will fill in imperfections with oils, a polish is abrasive and will remove imperfections.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles

Last edited by scrace; 11-26-2012 at 09:12 PM.
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Zack01GC

My Ride: 2001 330Ci/5
Do it ALL, or have a professional do it.

I would say there is easily a $1000 difference in a car that is detailed/clean/taken care of versus an identical car that is sold as it sits with brake dust and swirls all over.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
"How to make your car worth more when you sell it" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...-you-sell.html

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me an email
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
k20z1 L

My Ride: 04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
a glaze will fill in imperfections with oils, a polish is abrasive and will remove imperfections.
+1
k20z1 L is offline   Reply With Quote