E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #21
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
They are great cars, I have always loved them but after reading so many issues they have outside of warranty it makes me very hesitant to get one.
Tuned or unmolested? Are you getting that information from forums about guys having problems with them? So long as it is well maintained and has always had regular servicing and not driven but an uncaring owner, it should be fine.

I've always had the feeling that when people complain about a car being unreliable, there is always more to the story that they don't seem to share. Find a low kilometre example and the original owner and just pressure him with questions, his driving habit, etc etc.
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_DU View Post
Tuned or unmolested? Are you getting that information from forums about guys having problems with them? So long as it is well maintained and has always had regular servicing and not driven but an uncaring owner, it should be fine.

I've always had the feeling that when people complain about a car being unreliable, there is always more to the story that they don't seem to share. Find a low kilometre example and the original owner and just pressure him with questions, his driving habit, etc etc.
Yeah various forums mainly the HPFP problems along with quite a few having to replace the turbos due to them failing or having play in them and there was a few other concerns. Ill be honest I do enjoy driving my car pretty hard, no stupidly, just pushing it more then cruising along each day and if I can do that with out worrying due to having factory warranty it's a big plus for me.

Plus the one downfall is if I was to get a 135 it would be the 08-09 twin turbo not the 10+ single turbo because their not as much fun haha and all the factory warranties on those are long gone
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #23
forzamilan10

My Ride: '04 325Ci Sport
LCI 135 with twin scroll turbo and DCT seems like the best overall package for performance IMO

'04 325Ci + MYSTIC BLUE + EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST & MID-PIPE
forzamilan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #24
DR-JEKL

My Ride: E92 335i
Quote:
Yeah various forums mainly the HPFP problems along with quite a few having to replace the turbos due to them failing or having play in them and there was a few other concerns. Ill be honest I do enjoy driving my car pretty hard, no stupidly, just pushing it more then cruising along each day and if I can do that with out worrying due to having factory warranty it's a big plus for me.

Plus the one downfall is if I was to get a 135 it would be the 08-09 twin turbo not the 10+ single turbo because their not as much fun haha and all the factory warranties on those are long gone
You can pick up a 08-09 premium select vehicle from bmw used car range with bmw select warranty and add 3 years of warranty to the car.
DR-JEKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #25
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
You can pick up a 08-09 premium select vehicle from bmw used car range with bmw select warranty and add 3 years of warranty to the car.
Interesting... never knew that was available....

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #26
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
I just picked up a MK6 GTI. Great car, I love driving it every chance I get. Very practical and much better on gas.

I would love the R, but can't justify the price hike.

Overall, I'm happy with the GTI. The mod bug has already struck

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #27
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Yeah I knew that but can't justify the increase in their used car prices for them - 2008 135i with 39,000kms for $64,000 lol seems a bit high, if they were more realistic I would be all over one.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
Yeah I knew that but can't justify the increase in their used car prices for them - 2008 135i with 39,000kms for $64,000 lol seems a bit high, if they were more realistic I would be all over one.
Where'd you get $64k from? They were ~$75k new, drive away. You shouldve bought my 09er with 34k kms for under $50k and extended the warranty for $3k.
Pretty sure you can still find private-sale used n54s under factory warranty..
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E465 View Post
Where'd you get $64k from? They were ~$75k new, drive away. You shouldve bought my 09er with 34k kms for under $50k and extended the warranty for $3k.
Pretty sure you can still find private-sale used n54s under factory warranty..
From the BMW used car selections that come with the 3 year BMW used car warranty - that's what I was talking about when I said the premiums on their used car prices. Didn't all the 135s come with 3 year warranty when new? So that would mean the only 135s that are privately sold that would have warranty are the ones purchased Dec 09 so has 1 month of warranty remaining.

Last edited by DesiredM; 11-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Correct! But... iirc n55s were introduced around march 2010, right? So there should be a slightly larger n54 pool with factory warranty remaining. I also remember seeing some sellers advertising their 135s with an extended factory warranty. You may be lucky enough to find one with warranty extension already done.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
rossim3

My Ride: myki
Quote:
From the BMW used car selections that come with the 3 year BMW used car warranty - that's what I was talking about when I said the premiums on their used car prices. Didn't all the 135s come with 3 year warranty when new? So that would mean the only 135s that are privately sold that would have warranty are the ones purchased Dec 09 so has 1 month of warranty remaining.
Doesnt matter how cheap they are, the price you would pay to be seen driving a girls car would be pretty high imo.....Even if you drove with a 10/10 in the passanger seat, im pretty sure society would still think you are a h*mo

The strangest people i've ever met all drove a 1series. Dont believe me, go to a 1addicts meet and watch the most socially awkward people try and interact. its pretty funny

Last edited by rossim3; 11-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.
rossim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossim3 View Post
Doesnt matter how cheap they are, the price you would pay to be seen driving a girls car would be pretty high imo.....Even if you drove with a 10/10 in the passanger seat, im pretty sure society would still think you're h*mo

The strangest people i've ever met all drove a 1series. Dont believe me, go to a 1addicts meet and watch the most socially retared people try and interact. its pretty funny
Your douche levels are literally off the charts right now.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #33
rossim3

My Ride: myki
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Your douche levels are literally off the charts right now.
so are your countries debt levels....

Last edited by rossim3; 11-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
rossim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #34
wc325i

My Ride: stick 330
Quote:
Doesnt matter how cheap they are, the price you would pay to be seen driving a girls car would be pretty high imo.....Even if you drove with a 10/10 in the passanger seat, im pretty sure society would still think you are a h*mo

The strangest people i've ever met all drove a 1series. Dont believe me, go to a 1addicts meet and watch the most socially awkward people try and interact. its pretty funny
Quote:
so are your countries debt levels....
wc325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #35
DesiredM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353981292.874055.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	479784

Anyway thanks for the replies so far guys, I've narrowed it down to a final four.

VW Golf R
Audi S3
BMW 135
Subaru WRX STI