E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
4 WD E46 M3 Turbo, anyone yet

What needs to be done to convert an E46 M3 into a 4WD M3?

Front struts need to be cut, 330 IX front struts need to be welded.

Turbo kit needs to be re-routed, re-piping....relocation of turbocharger, a new turbo manifold. Lots of labor included.

And lots of road testing...

Pros: Better traction. Four wheel drive.

Cons: 160-180 lbs of extra weight, lots of R&D.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo_S54; 01-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Doulos

My Ride: 2001 M Coupe
Seems like you'd get a better return on time/investment working on custom suspension parts for the rear end and getting it more dialed. 10.5 cars go a hell of a lot faster then any e46's and do on less tire then some of the e46's run with way more power.

Just 4 link the rear end and tub the **** out of it if you're serious about going fast, it will be a lot less costly then converting to AWD.

Last edited by Doulos; 11-26-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
E46 XI transfer case will not be able to hold power that Turbo S54 puts out. It's barely is strong enough for SC-ed M54, which is making half the power of turbo S54

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?

Last edited by Hrvat; 11-26-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Hrvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
MisterM

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
E46 XI transfer case will not be able to hold power that Turbo S54 puts out.
With enough fluid (money) and proper cooling it is very possible. It is heat that kills these units not HP.

However, I doubt Mert would pursue the 330XI version as there are other high-HP TCase options that are an adapter flange or two away from bolting in to this 1-off custom build.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Twin_Turbo_S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulos View Post
Seems like you'd get a better return on time/investment working on custom suspension parts for the rear end and getting it more dialed. 10.5 cars go a hell of a lot faster then any e46's and do on less tire then some of the e46's run with way more power.

Just 4 link the rear end and tub the **** out of it if you're serious about going fast, it will be a lot less costly then converting to AWD.

well, the problem is E46 M3 can accomodate up to 26" tall tires.

the 10,5 cars have 30" tall tires, which allows them to "hook".

moreover, the 10,5 cars race on prepared VTH'ed tracks.

Most of us run on street and have no VHT on street....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
E46 XI transfer case will not be able to hold power that Turbo S54 puts out. It's barely is strong enough for SC-ed M54, which is making half the power of turbo S54
thats 100 % correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM View Post
With enough fluid (money) and proper cooling it is very possible. It is heat that kills these units not HP.

However, I doubt Mert would pursue the 330XI version as there are other high-HP TCase options that are an adapter flange or two away from bolting in to this 1-off custom build.
There are different options, the issue is fitment.

The transfer cases that will hold power are BIG and not easy to fit under the M3 as the M3 was not designed to accomodate a tc.

Well, I am not going the 4WD route, just to share what I learnt so far.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
MisterM

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
There are different options, the issue is fitment.

The transfer cases that will hold power are BIG and not easy to fit under the M3 as the M3 was not designed to accomodate a tc.
Borg Warner and NP come to mind. If you're willing to spend the dough, it certainly could be done.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I've done the reverse of what you are talking about. AWD to RWD, It's really not that hard, You might run into a little more expense with the drive train. Very doable, labor will be the b!tch. I did most of the work myself.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
SLVRXI

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Impressive Auto did a S54 swap into a XI. Their shop had to modify a majority of the drive train components, just to hold stock S54 power without boost. So Maybe give them a shout about your possible project.
SLVRXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Twin_Turbo_S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I've done the reverse of what you are talking about. AWD to RWD, It's really not that hard, You might run into a little more expense with the drive train. Very doable, labor will be the b!tch. I did most of the work myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRXI View Post
Impressive Auto did a S54 swap into a XI. Their shop had to modify a majority of the drive train components, just to hold stock S54 power without boost. So Maybe give them a shout about your possible project.
thank you.