E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #81
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
EDIT: FWIW, can anyone in here say they would actually take the strongman look over Phelps or other "cut" athletes? I know I'd take a WR or DB body type over a LB or offensive lineman any day of the week.
I wouldn't take either. I'm not a fan of Phelps' build AT ALL. I prefer the build of a stocky sprinter, and that's what I maintain and strive to improve upon.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #82
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:

EDIT: FWIW, can anyone in here say they would actually take the strongman look over Phelps or other "cut" athletes? I know I'd take a WR or DB body type over a LB or offensive lineman any day of the week.
are we really going to get into this again? Powerlifters are pretty mucg strong fat guys. No one here is going for that look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I wouldn't take either. I'm not a fan of Phelps' build AT ALL. I prefer the build of a stocky sprinter, and that's what I maintain and strive to improve upon.
completely agree. I will most likely never get the body I would really want but sprinters are in amazing shape.

Last edited by DylloS; 11-26-2012 at 03:07 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #83
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Depends on what your goals are. I would love to lift heavy and have a slender lean build, though.
I think thats very attainable, guys like zyzz certainly proved it with hard work and dedication

Thats my ultimate goal as well
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #84
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I think thats very attainable, guys like zyzz certainly proved it with hard work and dedication and a fvck load of drugs

Thats my ultimate goal as well
Fixed that for ya
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #85
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Fixed that for ya
Haha no way! he had a "heart condition"...

Last edited by dabears; 11-26-2012 at 04:09 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #86
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Haha no way! he had a "heart condition"...
And, when you have a "heart condition" you probably shouldn't do a ton of tren.

He was an insufferable douche bag - Paris Hilton with a tan, some tren, and a webcam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #87
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
And, when you have a "heart condition" you probably shouldn't do a ton of tren.

He was an insufferable douche bag - Paris Hilton with a tan, some tren, and a webcam.
OMGZ! I tried to watch a YouTube video of his because I was unfamiliar with him. I couldn't stomach it. You hit the nail on the head.....PH, some tren and a webcam.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #88
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Not sure about phelps, but a lot of the olympic swimmers have some pleasing physiques IMO. Many are around 6'4, 220ish, which would be bigger than many of the track and field sprinters, but their type of training contributes to a long and lean look.

I think being big and stocky is good for the gym, but in regular clothes, long and lean looks a whole lot better.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #89
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Of course they can.. it's simple physics. Which is why it's funny when you have a 5'5 guy taunting a dude who is 6'5 and has a two foot larger wingspan.

If you're tiny, you have to push the weight a much shorter distance. A much taller guy pushing an equivalent amount of weight is doing significantly more work. It's no different than the old notion that "the outside of a record is spinning faster than the inner portions". And not only is the distance an issue, but you also have the angle at which the bar hits your chest... dependent upon how "thick" your body is and the length of your arms, that angle will be much different. If you're a thinner guy with longer arms (like myself) your angle will be much steeper... if you're a thicker guy with short arms, you have much less work to do throughout the lift and your angle will be advantageous.

Regardless, I wouldn't trade a single one of my 75 inches for additional weight on a bench press.

Lastly, I've noticed people talking entirely different numbers in here. Some are mentioning their workout weights (10, 8, 6) which is what I did... others are talking max. Anybody making fun of anyone else's numbers is just a dbag.. if people are trying to continually improve, that should be celebrated (regardless of the mark). Would you mock a fat guy for "not losing weight fast enough?". Of course not.

Oh chase...always throws a book in when the conversation is almost done.

And yes, I'd take a Lb body over a WR/CB...some of those guys are twigs.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #90
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Not sure about phelps, but a lot of the olympic swimmers have some pleasing physiques IMO. Many are around 6'4, 220ish, which would be bigger than many of the track and field sprinters, but their type of training contributes to a long and lean look.

I think being big and stocky is good for the gym, but in regular clothes, long and lean looks a whole lot better.
It is the same as sprinters...depends how youve trained your fibers...slow twitch fibers will use muscle for energy and you'll be small, faster twitch fibers as trained by sprinters,
Short distance guys will be bigger and bulky.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #91
dwass325

Quote:

Phelps is 6'4 and more like 195lbs. This is roughly average size.

Proportionally and in general, swimmers are much smaller than sprinters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353970259.541026.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	479743  

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #92
Glight

Quote:

Who is that? Quads dont look nearly big enough to be an elite level sprinter, but I'm probably wrong...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #93
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1353970902.273886.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	479744  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #94
dwass325

Quote:
Who is that? Quads dont look nearly big enough to be an elite level sprinter, but I'm probably wrong...
Don't remember the name. But if he's undersized, it proves my point even more.

Quote:

Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #95
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Oh chase...always throws a book in when the conversation is almost done.

And yes, I'd take a Lb body over a WR/CB...some of those guys are twigs.

Everyone has goals unique to them, and shouldn't hate on others ideal physiques. I highly respect bodybuilders, because of the unimaginable dedication and hard work it required. Doesn't mean I want that for myself. But for me to say "those guys are stupid, why didn't they go for the underwear model look" is completely ignorant

Edit: not directed at anyone in particular here

Last edited by dabears; 11-26-2012 at 05:05 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #96
Glight

Quote:

Says the guy who is probably long and lean. I personally prefer size, but thats because I'm finally getting some.

Different strokes to different folks. I think age is a big factor as well.

I would never want to have a swimmers build personally. I think they are incredibly unbalance.

I hate this trend nowadays where everyone thinks that anyone who is lean has a good build....

Like I said though, everyone has a different opinion of what looks good, that what makes us human.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #97
Glight

Quote:
Everyone has goals unique to them, and shouldn't hate on others ideal physiques. I highly respect bodybuilders, because of the unimaginable dedication and hard work it required. Doesn't mean I want that for myself. But for me to say "those guys are stupid, why didn't they go for the underwear model look" is completely ignorant
well said.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #98
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:

You saved me the time. Lochte is about 195 lbs. as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #99
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Quote:
Says the guy who is probably long and lean. I personally prefer size, but thats because I'm finally getting some.

Different strokes to different folks. I think age is a big factor as well.

I would never want to have a swimmers build personally. I think they are incredibly unbalance.

I hate this trend nowadays where everyone thinks that anyone who is lean has a good build....

Like I said though, everyone has a different opinion of what looks good, that what makes us human.
I wish I was really lean and strong, but that's what I'm striving for.

I was never that strong for my height and weight, 6'3 220, but apparently I was a lot bigger before as a lot of people in the gym and random people would tell me. I thought people would say it as a joke, but I guess it's true.

Oh well, I would prefer to be leaner, but lose a lot of strength when I drop weight and I'm not that strong to begin with, so it's give and take.

But what do I know....I stopped squatting for awhile because my jeans were getting tight lol
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #100
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
I wish I was really lean and strong, but that's what I'm striving for.

I was never that strong for my height and weight, 6'3 220, but apparently I was a lot bigger before as a lot of people in the gym and random people would tell me. I thought people would say it as a joke, but I guess it's true.

Oh well, I would prefer to be leaner, but lose a lot of strength when I drop weight and I'm not that strong to begin with, so it's give and take.

But what do I know....I stopped squatting for awhile because my jeans were getting tight lol
Pfft! F-that! Buy bigger jeans (..or be like me and rock those b|tches fitted; show off those quads). You can't expect to achieve strength gains if you're simultaneously neglecting your legs.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.