E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
f/s 325xiT Bilstein Sports and H&R Springs - Cheap

Got some coil-overs on the way, wanted to go lower even though this setup rides great.

F/S:
-Front 325xi specific Bilstein Sport Shocks, less than a year old (rears not available)
-Set of 325xiT specific springs, cut one front dead coil, provides nicer stance, no harm in performance (over 10k miles driven like this so far).

SOLD

I could leave the front struts complete with bump-stops and mounts/bearings to allow for easy installation (ie no spring compressor) if you cover the cost of replacing these parts (they are all less than a year old).

Stance:

Last edited by redbull 325is; 07-31-2012 at 02:21 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
dragonst185

My Ride: 2001 330xi
What do you mean by cutting one front dead coil? Is it just one coil off one front spring? Both front springs? Also, I am correct in thinking this will also fit a 330xi?
dragonst185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Crestwood1001

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Confused. Your running that setup in the front and the springs on the factory struts in the rear?
Crestwood1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
redbull 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonst185 View Post
What do you mean by cutting one front dead coil? Is it just one coil off one front spring? Both front springs? Also, I am correct in thinking this will also fit a 330xi?
both springs and replied to your pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Confused. Your running that setup in the front and the springs on the factory struts in the rear?
Nope, I have adjustable e36 m3 pss9s rear shocks in the back that i'm keeping just buy two rear bilsteins and you'll be set.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Sorry to say, since you cut part of the "dead loop" off each spring, the springs are really only good for their small value in scrap steel. By cutting part of the spring off, they will not sit in either the top spring perch or the lower spring perch (depending on which end you cut and then installed) correctly. Not "locking" into both perches, the springs can rotate. Also, springs are made from heat-treated steel, no matter what method that was used to cut them, some of the heat-treat/temper was taken out of the springs and they will pre-maturely fail. Yes in the very early days of hot rodding, to lower a car guy's cut the springs. Then they started using springs from other models that were shorter and/or had springs made. Today, you can buy a set of lowering springs that will fit the perches, there is no need to risk failure of the springs and damage to other parts by cutting springs.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
redbull 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
Sorry to say, since you cut part of the "dead loop" off each spring, the springs are really only good for their small value in scrap steel. By cutting part of the spring off, they will not sit in either the top spring perch or the lower spring perch (depending on which end you cut and then installed) correctly. Not "locking" into both perches, the springs can rotate. Also, springs are made from heat-treated steel, no matter what method that was used to cut them, some of the heat-treat/temper was taken out of the springs and they will pre-maturely fail. Yes in the very early days of hot rodding, to lower a car guy's cut the springs. Then they started using springs from other models that were shorter and/or had springs made. Today, you can buy a set of lowering springs that will fit the perches, there is no need to risk failure of the springs and damage to other parts by cutting springs.
Happy you made it to my thread Tom, a little rubber tubing around the top coil (the one that was cut) ensures that the spring is very snug on the upper spring perch. Also I don't see these "failing" any time soon. Thanks for the concern though.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
j-pac

My Ride: 325xi
What kind of rubber tubing did you use? having the same issue and would like to cut the spring to lower the fronts a little more. thanks.

Last edited by j-pac; 11-26-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: rubber*
j-pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
redbull 325is

try e90 drophats first, they are pretty cheap, otherwise just use some heater hose.