E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AK HI ID OR WA

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Snapasaurus

My Ride: 2005 325i SULEV
License plate question- washington

Hey guys, quick question. I have a German plate that I've been wanting to put on my car and I'm planing on getting the front euro mount to do it. If I put my regular front license plate visibly on my dash, is it legal?

Thanks, geirsen.
Snapasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapasaurus View Post
Hey guys, quick question. I have a German plate that I've been wanting to put on my car and I'm planing on getting the front euro mount to do it. If I put my regular front license plate visibly on my dash, is it legal?

Thanks, geirsen.
No.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
I think any high ranking fashion police will stop you as well.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Snapasaurus

Which part is illegal? having a german plate where your plate should be? or having your plate on your dash?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
murac14

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Which part is illegal? having a german plate where your plate should be? or having your plate on your dash?
Having it on your dash

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
murac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Snapasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by murac14 View Post
Having it on your dash

Really? I've seen tons of people with their plate on their dash. Is it one of those things that it depends on the cop, etc.? I guess i'll just keep my plate where it is and throw the euro in the dash. lol
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
murac14

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Really? I've seen tons of people with their plate on their dash. Is it one of those things that it depends on the cop, etc.? I guess i'll just keep my plate where it is and throw the euro in the dash. lol
Yeah I mean you can always say it fell off and you haven't gotten time to put it back on lol

murac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
jiggz

My Ride: '05 ZHP & '12 X5 50i
Quote:
That doesn't mean it's okay. If you pay close attention, you'll also see a lot of cars without a front plate at all, like me. Some people are just willing to roll the dice...
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
"Rolled the dice" got ticket, cop told to send pictures and they will get it off my record. Installed license place, sent pictures. Still have the **** on my record.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Shimmy23

My Ride: ///M3
Its a $125 "misequipped" ticket.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
I dont have holes drilled for a plate and have driven without a front plate for a year now. Mostly in Spokane but commute to pullman and to the west side regularly and have yet to be pulled over. While it is still illegal most cops will leave you alone if your in a "sports car" if you drive a truck with an obvious space for a plate they are gonna pull you over. Put a German plate on and you will probably be screwed too.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
For 18 years I drove with no front plate on any of my vehicles. In the last two years I was stopped 5 times until I finally just put it on to be done with the crap I was getting. The last time I had one beer with my wife at dinner and the state cop pulled a field sobriety test on me. I passed but I'm done with the unnecessary crap. The reason I was getting pulled over is most likely because they're using the front license plate in "picture" toll bridges on the West side now.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
PNWDiego

My Ride: 328ci
Last month I got pulled over for not having my front plate. thats how i bought my car and I never really cared to put it on. But the trooper was pretty chill and just gave me a warning....
PNWDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
I haven't had a front plate on for like.. mmm.. 10 years on several BMWs, an Audi A4, Subaru outback and now my M3. That includes even getting pulled over a number of times and no one seemed to care. *shrug* maybe just STUPID lucky, I don't know.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
SJP

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Just make sure you don't have illegal tint, if he's an ass he'll nail you for that too. Go buy a plastic bracket and break it and throw it in your back seat or something.
SJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
caliscrizle

My Ride: 02 M3
I got pulled over in Auburn cop was a complete ass told him my bracket for my front bumper hadn't come yet which was true because I just got my csl bumper painted (I wasn't gonna put it on but it was on order lol), anyway the asshat didn't care and still gave me a ticket $120!! So I mounted my front license plate I'm not taking any chances of getting another ticket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App
caliscrizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
HaloArchive

My Ride: My Office Chair
Bumper is undrilled. Not about to drill it to put a plate on.
HaloArchive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
M3 boyzky

My Ride: 2006 M3 zcp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloArchive View Post
Bumper is undrilled. Not about to drill it to put a plate on.
Bavarian Autosport sells a front plate bracket (no drilling required) that attaches to your front pulling hook for around $65 if I'm not mistaken.
M3 boyzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
caliscrizle

My Ride: 02 M3
True if my bumper was undrilled I wouldn't drill any holes. unfortunately mine came predrilled it doesn't look that bad though it's paint matched to my bumper.

caliscrizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliscrizle View Post
True if my bumper was undrilled I wouldn't drill any holes. unfortunately mine came predrilled it doesn't look that bad though it's paint matched to my bumper.

Fill in the holes and take your plate off would look a lot cleaner.