E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Help, hit a platue

5'11.5", 164lbs, 15% body fat. I lift 5 days a week. My weakest point is shoulders as I had a rotator cuff injury a year ago.

What to improve, workout, food, muscles? All criticism is welcome. My goal is to be lean at 8-9% bf and increase muscles mass. I eat quite healthy, 2600-3400 cal a day on non lifting/lifting days. Jump rope for 10min twice a week, squeeze in 4-5 sets of abs between workouts once a week. I have not improved much in the past 6 months.

I noticed when I eat more than 3500 cal/day I start getting fat. I must be doing something wrong.

Pic attached, not-pumped, from my vacation few weeks ago.

Mon, legs:
back squats, 3 x 8 165lbs
trap bar squats with shrugs 3 x 8 225lbs
stiff legged deadlift 3 x 10 95lbs
lunges 2 x 10 50lbs
calves 6x 15 180lbs

chest:
incline bench dd 3 x 6 55lbs each arm
flat bench dd 3 x 6 60lbs each arm
flies 3 x 15 25lbs
dips 3 x 10 body weight

back:
pullups 3 x 10-12 body weight
cable row 3 x 8 180lbs
bb rows 3 x 6 15lbs
3 x 10 50lbs (don't know name, back on bench, dumbbell behind head swing to floor)
21's pulldown, 3 x 21 135lbs (on each set 7 wide, 7 close palm out, 7 close palm in)

shoulders:
front military presses 3 x 10 80lbs
back military presses 3 x 80lbs
side lateral raises 3 x 10 20lbs
front raises 3 x 10 25lbs
back delts 3 x 10 15lbs
bb close grip pull 3 x 95lbs

arms day:
Tris:
close grip press 3 x 6 115lbs
skull crushers 3 x 10 70lbs
pulldowns 3 x 10 70lbs

Bis:
Zottman curls 3 x 10 30lbs each arm
preacher culr bb 3 x 7 85lbs
hammer curls 3 x 8 35lbs each arm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	479764  
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Sven330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summerfield, Fl
Posts: 107
My Ride: 06 330ci
I'm the same weight and height as you and after three months of working out 5 days a week, drinking whey protien and creatine along with a lot of protein, I maxed out flat bench at 215lbs. Only did two reps but it was a big accomplishment for me. Considering I never worked out before. To me it seems like your not pushing yourself hard enough. Get a budy to help push you if you don't have one already. Eat as healthy as you can. Look at all the nutrition labels on the foods you eat..I went for most protien least amount of fat. Last thing is run. Try running a mile a day atleast. Sorry to be a lil rude, but hope it helps. GL
Sven330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I workout alone at a gym. So you're saying to do cardio every day?

My food is healthy. A sample day:

Breakfast:
fat free cheddar on a whole wheat fiber bread slice + pear + a couple of dates.

Snack: walnuts

Lunch:
Made at home, turkey breast meat balls with veggies.

Supper:
Sweet potato pancakes (only sweet potatoes, almond powder, egg whites) with tea.

Dinner (post workout)
Protein shake with almond powder + bannana

Before bed (on workout days only):
can of wild salmon or grilled whitefish.

A couple of times a week I eat a small dessert (cobbler or dark chocolate berries).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven330ci View Post
I'm the same weight and height as you and after three months of working out 5 days a week, drinking whey protien and creatine along with a lot of protein, I maxed out flat bench at 215lbs. Only did two reps but it was a big accomplishment for me. Considering I never worked out before. To me it seems like your not pushing yourself hard enough. Get a budy to help push you if you don't have one already. Eat as healthy as you can. Look at all the nutrition labels on the foods you eat..I went for most protien least amount of fat. Last thing is run. Try running a mile a day atleast. Sorry to be a lil rude, but hope it helps. GL
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Based on what you wrote, there's no way that's close to 2500-3500 calories! Very healthy I agree but I don't think you are eatin nearly enough to see strength gains, if you started doing cardio everyday it would get even harder!

There's no portion sizes so I could be mistaken
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
kushy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: kids these days are pu55ies
Posts: 238
My Ride: automatic m3
diana is cool, good with bol
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven330ci View Post
I'm the same weight and height as you and after three months of working out 5 days a week, drinking whey protien and creatine along with a lot of protein, I maxed out flat bench at 215lbs. Only did two reps but it was a big accomplishment for me. Considering I never worked out before. To me it seems like your not pushing yourself hard enough. Get a budy to help push you if you don't have one already. Eat as healthy as you can. Look at all the nutrition labels on the foods you eat..I went for most protien least amount of fat. Last thing is run. Try running a mile a day atleast. Sorry to be a lil rude, but hope it helps. GL
Yes, because low fat and millions of grams of protein are the key....


Sarcasm aside, In any case I'd bang the chest stuff especially a year after a rotator cuff injury. I had a torn labrum. You're only Going to stay weak in the shoulder area unless you start doing external and internal rotation first and foremost. I'm assuming you did rehabd post surgery so you should know. As far as what will get you down in bf (which I think judging by your picture is more than 15%) there are too many variables to think about. I can tell you to do circuit training or tabatas or interval training but there are about a million things to do and ways in which your body can react positively. Just research this forum a little more. And outside of here.
__________________

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 11-26-2012 at 10:10 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
And I'd stop isolating muscles so much.

Hard to ask for opinions on lifting. Too many people will tell u different things. I don't think I've isolated a muscle in 4 years
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
My portions for main meals are big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Based on what you wrote, there's no way that's close to 2500-3500 calories! Very healthy I agree but I don't think you are eatin nearly enough to see strength gains, if you started doing cardio everyday it would get even harder!

There's no portion sizes so I could be mistaken
I tried p90x before, it got easy for and same thing, I hit a platue. I'm open to different exercise programs. I did have a personal trainer 2 years back, isolation program seemed to work best for me. I did not use to do cardio, started few weeks ago.

For my body type and goal, there must be someone who knows a program that would be efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
And I'd stop isolating muscles so much.

Hard to ask for opinions on lifting. Too many people will tell u different things. I don't think I've isolated a muscle in 4 years
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Arock1092
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto rico
Posts: 131
My Ride: Bmw M3
Ok you want lean mass but you want to bring the fat down to 8-9%.. Make up your mind on what you wnt to do first.. For starters your taking in way too many calories(im 210lbs and need 2210 jus to function never mind if lifting).. If you want to tighten up ur gonna hav to carb deplete, find out how many calories you need a day, divide it up between fat, protien, and carbs, cut the carbs little by little even if ur takin in less calories and you should see your fat go down.. If you want mass its the oppisite and lift heavy(mainly bench, deadlift, squat).. Jus those 3 can get you big!
Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,778
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock1092 View Post
Ok you want lean mass but you want to bring the fat down to 8-9%.. Make up your mind on what you wnt to do first.. For starters your taking in way too many calories(im 210lbs and need 2210 jus to function never mind if lifting).. If you want to tighten up ur gonna hav to carb deplete, find out how many calories you need a day, divide it up between fat, protien, and carbs, cut the carbs little by little even if ur takin in less calories and you should see your fat go down.. If you want mass its the oppisite and lift heavy(mainly bench, deadlift, squat).. Jus those 3 can get you big!
Wait...wait....wait! Carb deplete? Too many calories? The only people who seriously carb deplete are show competitors. He doesn't really need to decrease his calories, he needs to change his approach.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Arock1092
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto rico
Posts: 131
My Ride: Bmw M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Wait...wait....wait! Carb deplete? Too many calories? The only people who seriously carb deplete are show competitors. He doesn't really need to decrease his calories, he needs to change his approach.
That is true!.. However it does work for me when in comp.. Thought he might want to try it out.. Imo it sucks and yes it might affect you in other ways, results are worth it tho!
Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Ok, suggestions for approaches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Wait...wait....wait! Carb deplete? Too many calories? The only people who seriously carb deplete are show competitors. He doesn't really need to decrease his calories, he needs to change his approach.
Since it's winter, I should bulk to 175lbs by eating more and focus on bench/squat/dead/shoulder press (no isolation)? Once I hit 175lbs, I start cutting and back to isolation program? What about cardio? I guess if bulking just once or twice a week should be enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock1092 View Post
Ok you want lean mass but you want to bring the fat down to 8-9%.. Make up your mind on what you wnt to do first.. For starters your taking in way too many calories(im 210lbs and need 2210 jus to function never mind if lifting).. If you want to tighten up ur gonna hav to carb deplete, find out how many calories you need a day, divide it up between fat, protien, and carbs, cut the carbs little by little even if ur takin in less calories and you should see your fat go down.. If you want mass its the oppisite and lift heavy(mainly bench, deadlift, squat).. Jus those 3 can get you big!
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,778
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock1092 View Post
That is true!.. However it does work for me when in comp.. Thought he might want to try it out.. Imo it sucks and yes it might affect you in other ways, results are worth it tho!
Any pics of you in comp?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Arock1092
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto rico
Posts: 131
My Ride: Bmw M3
Not yet ill post up when i get them!
Arock1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,778
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Ok, suggestions for approaches?


Since it's winter, I should bulk to 175lbs by eating more and focus on bench/squat/dead/shoulder press (no isolation)? Once I hit 175lbs, I start cutting and back to isolation program? What about cardio? I guess if bulking just once or twice a week should be enough?
My question to you is.....

...what do you want to achieve? Strength? Aesthetics? Any photographic examples of how you want to look vs how you look at the moment?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
My goal is to be strong and look good. I do really enjoy working out and living a healthy life style.

My pic is attached in 1st post above, keep in mind it's when I was on vacation, in my relaxed look. I like to achieve a lean look something like this:


I don't know if I need more cardio, or stay away from my isolation program and stick to all-body workouts 3-4 times a week. All feedback is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
My question to you is.....

...what do you want to achieve? Strength? Aesthetics? Any photographic examples of how you want to look vs how you look at the moment?
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Where is the fat in your diet? Do you eat beef ever? Salmon? I saw you have some walnuts etc. What do you cook with?
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 11-27-2012 at 11:06 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 334
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I eat 96% lean beef. I cook mostly with olive oil. Once a week I use vegetable-based light butter with sweet potatoes. Most of my fats are from fish and nuts/seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Where is the fat in your diet? Do you eat beef ever? Salmon? I saw you have some walnuts etc. What do you cook with?
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
My goal is to be strong and look good. I do really enjoy working out and living a healthy life style.

My pic is attached in 1st post above, keep in mind it's when I was on vacation, in my relaxed look. I like to achieve a lean look something like this:


I don't know if I need more cardio, or stay away from my isolation program and stick to all-body workouts 3-4 times a week. All feedback is welcome.
dude I'm sorry and I hate to tell people this but you need to be realistic. If that's your goal you're going to kill yourself looking in the mirror every day. Not only is this guy in amazing shape, he probably has different muscle shape than you.

Last edited by DylloS; 11-27-2012 at 11:33 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I eat 96% lean beef. I cook mostly with olive oil. Once a week I use vegetable-based light butter with sweet potatoes. Most of my fats are from fish and nuts/seeds.
Do you avoid saturated fats? Why?

Do you eat high carbs on non training days? (I'm thinking yes)
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use