E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #161
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
The answer lol. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1858306
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #162
Snapasaurus

My Ride: 2005 325i SULEV
Does anyone have a link to a diagram of the exhaust for the m56? A side by side comparison to a regular 325 exhaust would be loads of help too.
Snapasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #163
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapasaurus View Post
Does anyone have a link to a diagram of the exhaust for the m56? A side by side comparison to a regular 325 exhaust would be loads of help too.
I don't have a diagram but the headers have unique cats, then another set of cats then the 330 rear muffler with the active exhaust flap.

An M54B25 has cats in the headers, a set of resonators, then a muffler.

Both run dual pipes all the way back to the muffler.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #164
Snapasaurus

My Ride: 2005 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
I don't have a diagram but the headers have unique cats, then another set of cats then the 330 rear muffler with the active exhaust flap.

An M54B25 has cats in the headers, a set of resonators, then a muffler.

Both run dual pipes all the way back to the muffler.
So if I was to run aftermarket headers, would I run into emissions problems with the second set of cats?
Snapasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #165
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapasaurus View Post
So if I was to run aftermarket headers, would I run into emissions problems with the second set of cats?
I don't know how Washington's laws work but down here I'd probably fail visual inspection.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #166
gselsidi

So the dealer is going to replace the whole vanos unit with the solenoid under warranty, but i have to pay out of pocket cost for a dumbass taillight recall which the previous owner tried to fix somewhere and messed up wiring. So total out of pocket is around $300. Will keep you posted on if the other camshaft, maf, thermostat codes go away after, and if not if they will cover them under the extended warranty.

In a perfect world and if i really want to fight it i wouldn't pay anything, but i'm not complaining paying $300 for a brand new vanos and solenoid which i dont even think is covered.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #167
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
So the dealer is going to replace the whole vanos unit with the solenoid under warranty, but i have to pay out of pocket cost for a dumbass taillight recall which the previous owner tried to fix somewhere and messed up wiring. So total out of pocket is around $300. Will keep you posted on if the other camshaft, maf, thermostat codes go away after, and if not if they will cover them under the extended warranty.

In a perfect world and if i really want to fight it i wouldn't pay anything, but i'm not complaining paying $300 for a brand new vanos and solenoid which i dont even think is covered.
Congrats!! what symptoms were you having?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #168
gselsidi

The symptoms I had were extreme rough idle. Where the rpm would jump from about 500-1200 where it would make the car move forward, even holding down the brakes the car would still move, i would have to put it in neutral during stops. Will see once replaced if these issues are replaced I'm going to assume and say yes. Will keep you posted if they change the other things under warranty if the codes are still there.

It also took them the whole day to reprogram the ECU under the recall, they mentioned that the previous owner or someone had changed the odb-2 connector, so again not complaining for being charged something.

For your bi xenon's, i found some on ebay DEPO ones they will give you the correct wiring depending on what you have now for $490ish, ahh shoot though that was on sale which might of ended, but let me know and I can email them maybe they can give you the discount still.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #169
briangl92

Quote:
The symptoms I had were extreme rough idle. Where the rpm would jump from about 500-1200 where it would make the car move forward, even holding down the brakes the car would still move, i would have to put it in neutral during stops. Will see once replaced if these issues are replaced I'm going to assume and say yes. Will keep you posted if they change the other things under warranty if the codes are still there.

It also took them the whole day to reprogram the ECU under the recall, they mentioned that the previous owner or someone had changed the odb-2 connector, so again not complaining for being charged something.

For your bi xenon's, i found some on ebay DEPO ones they will give you the correct wiring depending on what you have now for $490ish, ahh shoot though that was on sale which might of ended, but let me know and I can email them maybe they can give you the discount still.
Yikes! Well I'm glad they're going to take care of it. The OBD-II thing sounds sketchy.

Thanks! Looking for OEM AL manufactured units specifically though. I already have OEM ZKW bi-xenons but they're scorching their bowls and in need of replacement. I wish they would recall them. They're complete garbage and multiple people (including myself) have filed NHTSA complaints on the issue.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #170
gselsidi

we should file complaints for the VANOS. Seriously has anything been done with this?? Their should be a recall for this faulty garbage. Who do we file complaints with?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #171
briangl92

Quote:
we should file complaints for the VANOS. Seriously has anything been done with this?? Their should be a recall for this faulty garbage. Who do we file complaints with?
You can complain to BMWNA but it won't do anything. They've already had so many complaints and it fell on deaf ears. There were even threats of a class action lawsuit at one point. The two guys heading it up decided to push on, on their own account after getting blown off by BMW. They ended up starting that Beisan company, selling the improved VANOS piston/solenoid seals.

NHTSA won't do anything due to the age of the cars and the lack of a safety risk.

Interestingly enough, the official BMW fix for the VANOS problem is replacing the whole unit. The new unit will most likely end up having the same issues in time because the rubber and Teflon seals are the exact same and are the cause of the failure due to the seals shrinking and failing to properly seal. There is no actual "permanent" BMW fix. The guys at Beisan reengineered the seals and most guys with VANOS problems tend to buy the repair kit from them because BMW doesn't even offer the seals as a stand alone part. Only the whole unit.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #172
briangl92

It's nonsense on BMW's part if you ask me. There are a lot of issues they should've issued recalls or at least issued TIS fixes for.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #173
gselsidi

Yes i know i plan on trying to keep my old vanos and rebuild later when i will need to replace at 200k again lol. Then rebuild my old one and sell it or something. Class action would probably be good. I'm thinking hungry lawyers would jump on this with such documented failures.

Last edited by gselsidi; 11-27-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #174
briangl92

Quote:
Yes i know i plan on trying to keep my old vanos and rebuild later when i will need to replace at 200k again lol. Then rebuild my old one and sell it or something. Class action would probably be good. I'm thinking hungry lawyers would jump on this with such documented failures.
Will they let you keep the failed part?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #175
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Will they let you keep the failed part?
I'm not sure that's why i said i am going to try. Will call them tomorrow and try to see if I can. While I'm at it have them check the subframe and hopefully if there is issues get it repaired under the term of 1 year after extended warranty and argue that the M56 has an extended warranty or something lol
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #176
briangl92

Quote:
I'm not sure that's why i said i am going to try. Will call them tomorrow and try to see if I can. While I'm at it have them check the subframe and hopefully if there is issues get it repaired under the term of 1 year after extended warranty and argue that the M56 has an extended warranty or something lol
That's ambitious. As far as I know, issues with facelifted sedans are pretty rare so I doubt you'll have an issue but better safe than sorry.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #177
gselsidi

Well thats good to hear. Will keep you updated on the other repairs if needed and how it runs when i get it back.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #178
gselsidi

They good willed the tail light, but they told me the camshaft timing was off so either way I'm paying for something lol. They said I can't keep the failed part since its warranty work they send it in. The guy blew off my sub frame inquiry saying there's no recall clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Will print something out bring it in. Just want them to finish these things first before I start fighting with them.

They gave me a brand new 328i loaner. I must say besides exterior looks nice dash, and very fast acceleration it is such a shitty car. The steering is soft, engine makes noise, tranny shifts funny, leather seats look like they came from a Prius. My Toyota Camry rental had better headlights.

Losses stability at high speeds imagine doing 120 with a soft steering wheel it's scary lol.

Do you know if we can use a 330 MAF sensor?

Last edited by gselsidi; 12-01-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #179
briangl92

Quote:
They good willed the tail light, but they told me the camshaft timing was off so either way I'm paying for something lol. They said I can't keep the failed part since its warranty work they send it in. The guy blew off my sub frame inquiry saying there's no recall clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Will print something out bring it in. Just want them to finish these things first before I start fighting with them.

They gave me a brand new 328i loaner. I must say besides exterior looks nice dash, and very fast acceleration it is such a shitty car. The steering is soft, engine makes noise, tranny shifts funny, leather seats look like they came from a Prius. My Toyota Camry rental had better headlights.

Losses stability at high speeds imagine doing 120 with a soft steering wheel it's scary lol.

Do you know if we can use a 330 MAF sensor?
Nice about the tail light!

The subframe recall/courtesy inspection ended a couple years ago. Anything here on in is our responsibility.

I kept getting e90 328s. They were meh.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #180
gselsidi

Was told today the car still didn't run good. The guy told me they replaced the camshaft under warranty. I'm not sure if he meant sensor or the actual camshaft lol. If they replaced the whole camshaft that would be pretty crazy. Will find out later tonight or tomorrow when I get the car, and try to find out what the culprit was to the rough idle. It seems it might have not been the vanos.

Tags
m56, sulev