E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
San-J

My Ride: 323i
Power Window not working

Hey guys

New here, recently bought a 2000 model 323i and the rear passenger power window doesn't work. I am pretty sure it was working when I first viewed the car. What are some basic things I could do to try and fix it without replacing parts or opening panels? Also might be worth noting that when either front or back buttons are pushed, there isn't a noise from the motor.

Thanks
San-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by San-J View Post
Hey guys

New here, recently bought a 2000 model 323i and the rear passenger power window doesn't work. I am pretty sure it was working when I first viewed the car. What are some basic things I could do to try and fix it without replacing parts or opening panels? Also might be worth noting that when either front or back buttons are pushed, there isn't a noise from the motor.

Thanks
If all window regulator aren't working look for a busted fuse and replace. That doesn't mean its over though. Fuses blow when they draw too much current so you may still need to track down the regulator that is causing the fuse to blow.

http://www.braytonstafford.com/?p=134

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-28-2012 at 05:46 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I will put my bet on it being a window regulator. After you check the fuse--that is the place be be thinking. In the 7 times I have changed window regulators, never had to replace a motor, so my guess is that the motor is okay. But when you open it up, deal with it then.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
The regulators go out on these cars often, search around and you'll find some insight. Depending on the issue, you may be able to fix it with zip ties if I recall correctly...Haven't had to deal with this issues on my own yet.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
jayb328i

Although I have read that some people have used (tried to use) zip ties--my experience has always been that zip ties will not work. Every case where I opened up the door, the cable and plastic pulleys are so far gone that the zip tie answer would not work. AND, I would not want to invest the time in opening the door and not putting in a new regulator after doing all the work.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
San-J

My Ride: 323i
Thanks for the reply, would you think it would still be the regulator if the window doesn't move at all and the motor doesnt make any noise?
San-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
jayb328i

Yes. As I have said, I have changed regulators 7 times and every time had exactly the same thing when I removed the door panel. Always found that the cable snapped loose and was wrapped around part of the regulator making the regulator and cable beyond repair. Normally the plastic anchor that holds the cable in place is broken--but the damage to the cable and perhaps a pulley is beyond repair. And yes, the window may not move manually because the cable is so tangled into the regular that it locks the window in place. But sometimes you can manually move the window closed and tape it into position until the new regulator is installed. Not sure if this is the case with other people--but that has been my experience. The motor was never broken in all my situations, and all seven times used the original motor. I do not think you will hear the motor unless the panel is remove--too quiet. But I would NOT work the window switch because if the motor is trying to pull the window open (or closed) and if is locked in place due to the tangled cable--you may strip the gears in the motor and will need a new motor. Here is what I would do if I was you. Remove the door panel. Carefully remove the rain guard so that it can be reused (or buy a new one if you are careless). Look carefully at the regulator. You will spot immediately if the cable is loose and tangled. At that point get a new regulator if it is that. Also check to see if the motor is working, and if not--order the regulator with the motor. The last three I purchased were After-Market and cost about US$70. Been in service for close to 2 years. All other regulators were BMW--but needed twice to replace the replacement regulator--clearly these regulators are under-engineered so I am not so keen on BMW regulators which cost about $120 (US).
Good luck and let us know how you did. One last point--that is critical--MUST reapply the rain guard plastic perfectly sealed or you will get a flood of water into the carpet of your car. Read up on this.
Also the price the dealer charges in the US to do this work is anywhere from US$ 400 to $700.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
The cable tire does work if the damage is minor. My windows still works but I can here clicking sound. I found the plastic clip holder has a crack, so I super glued it, then applied cable tire. Now the clicking is gone. Don't know how long it will last though, but the cable tire will reduce the stress on the plastic holder.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window