E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 235 votes, 4.73 average.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #14101
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
ZHP knob is by far the favorite thing i've done to my car (besides maintaining it)
Care to elaborate?

I find that with the heavy flywheels on these cars, the long throw of the gear shifter is well suited. But I'm all ears.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #14102
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
they're heavily degraded by 50k. (if not completely blown out)
Mango we've been through this plenty of times... realistically they do not blow nor degrade to a point of replacement at 50k.. if that was the case then 90% of the vehicles would need a refresh after 3 years of the original purchase.. that's ridiculous.
they are not like new but will last 100k on normal dd use

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #14103
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
^ unless he's planning on keeping the car for another 100k miles, no need to worry about replacing them again.

With as much money I've spent on this car already, it will be here for awhile. I'm probably going to get Bilsteins for the car. eShocks had them for $320 shipped.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #14104
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Mango we've been through this plenty of times... realistically they do not blow nor degrade to a point of replacement at 50k.. if that was the case then 90% of the vehicles would need a refresh after 3 years of the original purchase.. that's ridiculous.
they are not like new but will last 100k on normal dd use

Lol who are you to be giving advice? Those vehicles you mention--the 90%--DO need a refresh after three years! You know NOTHING about these cars. I've seen and been involved in MANY deeply technical threads across various forums on this VERY topic. It's consensus within those IN THE KNOW that the shocks are heavily degraded by 50k. (not this one, so you wouldnt have any idea what people talk about) as well as have PERSONAL experience with dozens upon dozens of full BMW suspension installs. Stay out of the conversation if you do not know what you are talking about.

Again, for someone that is so proud of not touching their car, you sure have a mouth on you. Same goes for anyone else who thinks my advice is bad.

Hell, even Sachs-Boge insists the struts/shocks are heavily degraded after not so many miles. Guess you weren't around for that either?

Stay away. This isn't your fight

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #14105
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
With as much money I've spent on this car already, it will be here for awhile. I'm probably going to get Bilsteins for the car. eShocks had them for $320 shipped.
I'd go Bilsteins.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #14106
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Care to elaborate?

I find that with the heavy flywheels on these cars, the long throw of the gear shifter is well suited. But I'm all ears.
The shift knob doesn't so much change the throw, but the feel and weight of the shifter.

It also just looks so damn sexy too.

HUUUUUUUUGE difference. I would never go back. EVER

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #14107
Chadrobb4

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
Installed new DISA and air filters this morning. New tires and alignment done a couple days ago. New dipstick guide tube, rear brakes and oil change go on this weekend. This car gets treated better than my dog I think. Sweet.
Chadrobb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #14108
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Lol who are you to be giving advice? Those vehicles you mention--the 90%--DO need a refresh after three years! You know NOTHING about these cars. I've seen and been involved in MANY deeply technical threads across various forums on this VERY topic. It's consensus within those IN THE KNOW that the shocks are heavily degraded by 50k. (not this one, so you wouldnt have any idea what people talk about) as well as have PERSONAL experience with dozens upon dozens of full BMW suspension installs. Stay out of the conversation if you do not know what you are talking about.

Again, for someone that is so proud of not touching their car, you sure have a mouth on you. Same goes for anyone else who thinks my advice is bad.

Hell, even Sachs-Boge insists the struts/shocks are heavily degraded after not so many miles. Guess you weren't around for that either?

Stay away. This isn't your fight
Funny you mention the 50k mile limit on struts/shocks. My grandfather has an '06 Impala SS and the struts are completely blown. Bounces up and down the road like a 70's Cadillac. The car has 48k miles on them, and apparently this is common. If people read up on shocks and struts, they would see that most manufacturers recommend replacing them every 50k miles for the best ride quality and handling of the vehicle.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #14109
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
The shift knob doesn't so much change the throw, but the feel and weight of the shifter.

It also just looks so damn sexy too.

HUUUUUUUUGE difference. I would never go back. EVER
+ friggin 1

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #14110
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
Funny you mention the 50k mile limit on struts/shocks. My grandfather has an '06 Impala SS and the struts are completely blown. Bounces up and down the road like a 70's Cadillac. The car has 48k miles on them, and apparently this is common. If people read up on shocks and struts, they would see that most manufacturers recommend replacing them every 50k miles for the best ride quality and handling of the vehicle.
Yup. Sounds realistic. However I was particularly talking about stock Sachs-Boge struts/shocks fitted on BMWs. I can't speak for other vehicles.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #14111
pawelgawel

Get Off the drugs, their impering your judgement. What do you know what I've done and haven't done to my car or my previous cars I've owned??

Quote:
Again, for someone that is so proud of not touching their car, you sure have a mouth on you. Same goes for anyone else who thinks my advice is bad
You've got serious issues if you think that was an attack on you.

I've replaced plenty of suspensions after 100k with reasonable life on them, hence my belief in not changing my full suspension after 50k. That's my opinion that I would like to share with a fellow fanatic ..
If you don't like it don't respond to it.. move on. let it go.. getting angry won't solve anything nor will it change the direction of this pointless argument.

You believe in changing everything on the car just because its not new. I like changing things that show end of lifespan. Nothing wrong with either way.

now get back working on your car, im sure you missed some rusted nuts and bolts
cheers bud :beer:

Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #14112
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Get Off the drugs, their impering your judgement. What do you know what I've done and haven't done to my car or my previous cars I've owned??

You've got serious issues if you think that was an attack on you.

I've replaced plenty of suspensions after 100k with reasonable life on them, hence my belief in not changing my full suspension after 50k. That's my opinion that I would like to share with a fellow fanatic ..
If you don't like it don't respond to it.. move on. let it go.. getting angry won't solve anything nor will it change the direction of this pointless argument.

You believe in changing everything on the car just because its not new. I like changing things that show end of lifespan. Nothing wrong with either way.

now get back working on your car, im sure you missed some rusted nuts and bolts
cheers bud :beer:

I'd probably get a decent grasp on basic spelling and word usage before giving out advice. Just sayin'.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #14113
pawelgawel

if I had a normal screen in front of me and more time i would pay more attention... but i don't so i won't

Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #14114
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Ok everybody put away the e-peens

Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #14115
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
I'd probably get a decent grasp on basic spelling and word usage before giving out advice. Just sayin'.
Pretty weak response to valid rebuke, I don't think his writing is too bad, maybe some punctuation issues but nothing that looks out of place or misused, especially for a phone post (and if you want to go to bat over editing credentials we can just drop LinkedIn profiles where you'll see mine from time as an Ed at Dow Jones Newswires, CNET News.com etc.) mkay smart guy?

I earned myself a couple day ban recentky when I confronted Man-goo over his outright dismissive attitude and condescending demeanor when I swapped in an M3 suspension with 20k miles on it (FYI about 1500 miles in and it feels great!). This was because I resorted to calling him out and calling him names and of course he tattled to admins (a pretty fair example of his overall character).

The fact here is that this is a matter of opinion, I'm sure you could ask people who build these things and know them well and you would find varying answers. Are most shocks "blown" at 50k? I'd say that's pretty conservative but wouldn't be surprised if someone who SOLD them for a living was of that thinking, they should be 100% or they're toast. In sure you could also find someone who could prove that the degradation was not that dramatic and that you could reasonably ride them to 75-100k (depending on model of vehicle component and usage factors) without ever needing to worry, maybe even more especially as "blown" is a subjective assessment.

The issue here is not that Man-goo offers his opinion byt that he decrees his position to be the word of law and anyone who disagrees with it is disnissed as an ignorant neophyte and hiphop foolster (classic conservative duck and run tactic). He insults and condescends whilst citing his deep multiple-platform body of experience...

...this rubs people the wrong way and they reply derisively until he calls in the admins again who side with him based in his longevity here and significant content contributions (not to be overlooked).

The issue here is ultimately it IS a matter of opinion, unless someone cares to cite a specific data set from a respected third party source that people can agree is conclusive... And that Man-goo is so insecure/defensive he can't bear for anyone to disagree with him, he has to be right. I think the classic ymmv (your mileage may vary) approach is far more constructive, but this is how he gets his jollies, by acting smug online, yipes.

I realize I risk a ban by even going here but, he does it all the time and, especially when doing so in other people's threads where he joins in for the only purpose if criticizing/deriding/insulting their chosen mods etc. to make himself feel good... its really pretty pathetic, and often when people are eventually punished for responding to his condescending ways, unfair.

Personally I'm still waiting for that wonderful day when I get to meet him in person and see how derisive he is.

And it looks like we're almost out of beer... But that's just my own opinion.

As always, ymmv.

H

Last edited by hizhinezz; 12-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #14116
TT330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
For someone who's such an expert it's pretty sad if you can't tell when a shock is blown. Suspension is not a just replace every so many miles like it's an air filter or something. You can see when it needs to be replaced. 50k miles is also a very short lifetime for suspension on a normally driven car. I personally have over 160k miles and my shocks are fine. If you go looking for posts on how many people had their suspension fail within this mileage I'm sure you'd find them, but that's a piss poor excuse for any kind of statistical analysis.
TT330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #14117
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Been dazed and confused for so long its not true
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #14118
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT330i View Post
For someone who's such an expert it's pretty sad if you can't tell when a shock is blown. Suspension is not a just replace every so many miles like it's an air filter or something. You can see when it needs to be replaced. 50k miles is also a very short lifetime for suspension on a normally driven car. I personally have over 160k miles and my shocks are fine. If you go looking for posts on how many people had their suspension fail within this mileage I'm sure you'd find them, but that's a piss poor excuse for any kind of statistical analysis.
How have you concluded your shocks are "fine"? Because your wheels aren't hopping around like old cadillacs? You've defied even Sachs's service expectations there, bud Your shocks are completely blown three times over (at the very least) likely five times over. As you say, shocks/struts don't have an on/off switch, they begin to degrade as the internal sealing doesn't do its job. I would say around 30,000 miles, stock Sachs-Boge struts/shocks are starting to heavily degrade and performance will be compromised.

The information is for those who will use it correctly. If you choose to not use my information, fine. Don't.

Your car

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #14119
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
they're heavily degraded by 50k. (if not completely blown out)
+1

Quote:
ZHP knob is by far the favorite thing i've done to my car (besides maintaining it)
I wish I could get a ZHP shift knob...that in combination with the M3 wheel is heaven on earth.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #14120
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
(and if you want to go to bat over editing credentials we can just drop LinkedIn profiles where you'll see mine from time as an Ed at Dow Jones Newswires, CNET Mews.com etc.) mkay smart guy?
Who says **** like this?

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote